Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Amazon Adds Gift an E-Book

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link...pf_rd_i=507846

Amazon has added the ability to send an e-book directly to a Kindle owner.

Sorry about the link, my work computer doesn't allow scripts. Don't ask, I don't get it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Whatever happened to the verb "give?"

Just wondering.

It's a good idea, I just don't get why no one says "give" anymore.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Well - I think "gift" is short for "giving a gift". So it's new, I never used it. I presume that I can't GIVE you an eBook that I've read, I'm finished with it, and now you can have it. I can buy it new and GIVE it to you but I've never owned it.

And "give" is just transferring possession of something to someone else - giving him the salt for example. Give her a grade on her paper.

While it used to bug me, I think the verb "to gift" does have a specific meaning.

And "regift" - well that's a different thing altogether. But it still implies I got the item new as a gift, and I've never used it, and I am giving away as a gift. Not just "here, this sweater doesn't fit me, you have it."
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Whatever happened to the verb "give?"

Just wondering.

It's a good idea, I just don't get why no one says "give" anymore.
To "gift" something is different than to "give" something. Gifting is what people do during the holidays. I don't know the whole history behind the word, but I typically use it in an online retail setting.

I'm so glad this functionality is finally available! I usually ask for books for the holidays, but the past two years I haven't because people couldn't buy ebooks for me. Hooray! And there's a book I've been meaning to get my brother... this will make it so much easier.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I know. I can actually make a list of books to ask for instead of an Amazon gift certificate. It would be kind of cool if the book came with a page that included a note from the person who gave the book. I know that I used to write a note in books I was giving as a gift.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Just bear in mind the fact that it only works for certain if both the giver and the recipient are registered with Amazon in the same country. If you're in different countries, there's a possibility the book is available for sale with Amazon in the giver's country but not in the recipient's country, in which case they'll be offered the option of converting the gift to a gift certificate instead, I believe.

- Donna
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote