Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Fantasy? I'll nominate Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson). There's enough weird in that book to keep a thread alive for a year. Heck, there's even enough in there to write entire commentaries about. Come to think of it, people have!
I'll second that one!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'll second that one!
I'll 2.5 it. Someone else will have to add the missing .5 to get it to be officially votable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #48
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll 2.5 it. Someone else will have to add the missing .5 to get it to be officially votable.
Dude! No Micro-voting allowed!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Dude! No Micro-voting allowed!
I've never read that in the rules.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #50
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
P.S., Bob, is there any rule about nominating books in a series that is not the first book?
No. I don't see a problem. Most first books of a series still pretty much stand on their own. For example, I have read Mistborn... it is the first of 3 but the story in that particular book ended and while I want to read more I don't feel the story wasn't concluded.

Magic Kingdom For Sale - Sold is the first of 5 I think in that series. But, it is also a great stand alone story. this book is what got my hooked on Terry Brooks. Same with Wizard's First Rule... etc.

Ok... now there is a rule...

Rule: there is no rule about nominating a book from a series/triligy, etc.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #51
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Fantasy? I'll nominate Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson). There's enough weird in that book to keep a thread alive for a year. Heck, there's even enough in there to write entire commentaries about. Come to think of it, people have!
I third this one.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #52
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
My nomination: "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift (available here at MR).
I take it that for this book it is not necessary to write up a short summary here.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #53
fierfek
fierfek will become famous soon enoughfierfek will become famous soon enoughfierfek will become famous soon enoughfierfek will become famous soon enoughfierfek will become famous soon enoughfierfek will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 and Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooblues View Post
As my first nomination I would like to nominate a fun fantasy book by Terry Brooks:
Magic Kingdom for Sale - Sold!
I third this

Pilotbob i think you missed the point of jswolf's question your answer did not seem to match to me for some reason
fierfek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #54
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lila55 View Post
My nomination: "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift (available here at MR).
I take it that for this book it is not necessary to write up a short summary here.
I'll second this one.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #55
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierfek View Post
I third this

Pilotbob i think you missed the point of jswolf's question your answer did not seem to match to me for some reason
huh?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #56
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I'll third 'Gulliver's Travels' and second or third 'The Hobbit' - I've lost count if needs another vote.

I'd prefer 'The Curse of Chalion' if we're doing Bujold fantasy, but I'll save that nom for another opportunity.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:59 AM   #57
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
There seem to be multiple books with three nominations. Is the winner decided?

If not, I would like to nominate Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. The following is a brief overview from Amazon.com (which apparently is itself an excerpt from Booklist):

Quote:
The Sliver of Infinity, the Lord Ruler, is the locus of religious and temporal order in a world in which the skaa are slaves or worse. Half-skaa erstwhile thief Kelsior is the only person to survive and escape the Lord Ruler's most brutal prison, in which, however, he discovered he has the powers of the Mistborn, which are based on the internal "burning" of certain metals, all of which the Mistborn can use, while most others can burn only one. Now Kelsior plans his most daring raid ever, into the center of the palace to discover the secret of the Lord Ruler's power. Beforehand, his band finds the half-skaa orphan Vin in another thieving crew, where she's useful because she brings good luck. She is also Mistborn and, if she can master and learn to trust her powers, will enable Kelsior's crew to infiltrate the nobility and possibly overthrow the status quo. Intrigue, politics, and conspiracies mesh complexly in a world Sanderson realizes in satisfying depth and peoples with impressive characters.
Technically, this is the first in a trilogy, but from what I hear, it has a satisfying enough ending that the book can stand on it's own.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:33 AM   #58
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'll nominate A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin...
It's two books, in the Italian version.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:51 AM   #59
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
I nominate Cina Miéville's Perdido Street Station.
It's a bit on the border between SF and Fantasy (is there a border line, somewhere?), but I think it's a good read:

"Perdido Street Station takes place in New Crobuzon, a large metropolis, teeming with life (and death), in an alternate world Mieville has conceived. Technologically it's not entirely as advanced (in most respects) as our own. It's also not the most pleasant of places:

New Crobuzon was a huge plague pit, a morbific city. Parasites, infection and rumour were uncontainable.

A variety of sentient species populate the city, including humans, khepri and cactacae (more insect- and cactus-like, respectively), and a spider-like being known as the Weaver. Not satisfied with what nature allows there is also a great deal of experimentation with so-called Remade, beings punished by being organically or mechanically pieced together, or remade in some way to serve particular needs.
The central figure is the human Isaac Dan der Grimnebulin, nominally still affiliated with the university but in fact working, not too successfully, on his own as a scientific dabbler. He is having an inter-species relationship with Lin, a khepri (with "their women's bodies, their insectile heads"), but it's when another creature comes with a commission for him that his life really changes. Yagharek, a garuda whose wings have been removed (for some terrible crime he committed among his own), approaches Isaac with the hope that the scientist can get him airborne again. It's exactly the sort of job the scientist can't resist. [....]"
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:34 AM   #60
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I don't mind seconding the nomination for Perdido Street Station if no one else wants to read Mistborn. Coincidentally, I just got it a few days ago.

I've already read Mieville's The Scar, which is his second book set in the same world (Bas-Lag) as PSS. (Though it's not a sequel as the two books (in fact, three; there's another one whose name I can't remember) are independant.)
afa is offline   Reply With Quote