Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
ICloud Music

I am trying to subscribe to iCloud storage for my iTunes music but it keeps telling me that it is not available in the US. Is this the case? If so fine but I find it hard to believe.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Apple only opens the service to new subscriptions every once in awhile. They are also having weird iTunes issues at the moment and are actually still closed up for the rest of the year I think.

I'd try again in a few days.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! I would like to clear another 14 gigs from my iPad
Old 12-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Hum, didn't have any issues renewing yesterday. Technically, you subscribe to iTunes Match, not iCloud. You have to subscribe from iTunes rather than your iOS device.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4914

With all the new computers and iOS devices that were under the Christmas tree, I would be pretty surprised if iTunes Match and iCloud are closed up for the rest of the year.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Hmmm, okay, well, just stating what I know, haha. But yeah, try again later. I wish Apple would invest in more servers.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Thanks, I was not able to find that for some reason.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

That worked. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
You may be subscribing to iTunes Match, but unless you have enough space in your iCloud, the iTunes Match subscription will be of little use to you. I would advise to try and upgrade your iCloud storage directly from within the Settings app on your iPod Touch.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I only have 1GB of cloud storage but iTunes Match worked perfectly without buying more space. There is a subscription cost though.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lightbulb

Of course, the subscription is $25 per year; but that's only for the iTunes Match functionality. You get zero additional storage space for the subscription price.

The way iTunes Match works, if Apple has a song from your library in their catalogue, they do not count it against your iCloud storage space limit. If, however, iTunes Match needs to upload a song from your computer or device to their server, then the space needed to store that song on their server is taken away from your iCloud storage.

The situation gets more complicated in that iTunes Match is pretty buggy in recognizing even legendary songs and albums, which they definitely already have on their own server. But, because of the bugs, they will needlessly upload the songs from you to them anyway, and correspondingly decrease your free iCloud storage amount.

Further, I'm perplexed as to how you only have 1 GB of cloud storage. Do you mean 1 GB free or 1 GB overall? I thought every holder of an Apple device is given 5 GB of free iCloud storage space. I then bought 10 GB more for 15 GB total in my iCloud account.

If you find that iTunes Match works for you now, it may not work for you later on. Your free storage space may get exhausted over time, in the way described above. Also, if you have a huge music library and have only just subscribed to iTunes Match, the matching process may still currently be ongoing as we speak. People have reported it may take an entire day or two for iTunes Match to successfully scan a user's music library if it's very large.

Hope this helps, even if it's not directly related to e-books.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I have 1 GB free. Lots of pictures and the like stored. Pretty much all my music is mainstream so it is available, I checked before signing up. The info is great though. There might be others who look at the topic and it will help them.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Pretty much all my music is mainstream so it is available, I checked before signing up.
Unfortunately, that's no guarantee some of it won't get uploaded anyway, chipping away from your free 1 GB. It's happened before to lots of people with mainstream songs and albums. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Friend, I don't think you have your facts right. iTunes match allows you to upload up to 25,000 songs for $25 a year. You also get either 4 or 5 G of storage. I've got some 12,000 songs on my iTunes match and haven't had any problems, even with a fairly eclectic selection of music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Of course, the subscription is $25 per year; but that's only for the iTunes Match functionality. You get zero additional storage space for the subscription price.

The way iTunes Match works, if Apple has a song from your library in their catalogue, they do not count it against your iCloud storage space limit. If, however, iTunes Match needs to upload a song from your computer or device to their server, then the space needed to store that song on their server is taken away from your iCloud storage.

The situation gets more complicated in that iTunes Match is pretty buggy in recognizing even legendary songs and albums, which they definitely already have on their own server. But, because of the bugs, they will needlessly upload the songs from you to them anyway, and correspondingly decrease your free iCloud storage amount.

Further, I'm perplexed as to how you only have 1 GB of cloud storage. Do you mean 1 GB free or 1 GB overall? I thought every holder of an Apple device is given 5 GB of free iCloud storage space. I then bought 10 GB more for 15 GB total in my iCloud account.

If you find that iTunes Match works for you now, it may not work for you later on. Your free storage space may get exhausted over time, in the way described above. Also, if you have a huge music library and have only just subscribed to iTunes Match, the matching process may still currently be ongoing as we speak. People have reported it may take an entire day or two for iTunes Match to successfully scan a user's music library if it's very large.

Hope this helps, even if it's not directly related to e-books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I don't know how many songs I have. I have 30 GB of music. It is all there and I still have 1 GB of storage left.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
You also get either 4 or 5 G of storage.
Can you post your source for this claim? As far as I know, that's definitely not true. The $25 per year fee is for the iTunes Match functionality, nothing more. (And there's also that 25,000 songs limit.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I've got some 12,000 songs on my iTunes match and haven't had any problems, even with a fairly eclectic selection of music.
Which doesn't prove other users won't face any problems. They are well-documented.