Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #76
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPE View Post
What's the use of keeping so many readers? I've had three but I only keep one. I take great care each time so that I can resell them for a good amount; that way, I can afford to always buy the newest model (when it's worth it).
IA. I had a Nook classic as my first dedicated e-reader a couple of years ago. I didn't sell it but I gave it away so it could be sold in a silent auction after I got my 350. I just didn't want to keep an e-reader that I wasn't going to use. I just can't stand having something that isn't going to be used.

In general, I'm trying not to buy a new gadget just because it's new. My 350 works fine and I plan to use it until it stops working. Same with my cell phone. I only got this one because the other one was dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
You could also so: I don't understand those people that resell stuff... I'll keep on using it till it breaks. I won't buy it unless I want it, why would I want to get rid of it simply because something new is
For me it's having a gadget that isn't being used that bugs me. It feels wasteful. I'm having that issue with my iPod touch. Hubby says he wants it but he isn't using it. I don't use it anymore because my phone can do everything it does and using both seems redundant. So I'm very tempted to sell it.

Last edited by faithbw; 02-20-2013 at 09:59 AM.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #77
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Just one K3 wifi, heavily used. I noticed some lag and screen freeze - I hope it'll stay with me for a while yet.

And two broken K3's lying in the wardrobe, of course...
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #78
gurion
gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura H2o
Originally, I bought Sonys PRS-505 for wife and PRS-300 for myself. Sony 505 is still working just fine but not being used all that much. A little over a year ago I've upgraded to PRS-350, and even bought another 350 as a backup. That little Sony 350 is all I really need for reading, like it very much.
gurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #79
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
I got an Astak EZRead several years ago to read my typed up school notes. Bought a Pocketbook when i found myself wanting to add some notes every once in a while. When that turned into needing to do some more serious typing, got myself an Asus Transformer. The only reason I replaced it with my current tablet (Prestigio 10") is because I dropped and killed it, poor thing! It is the perfect device, but too expensive for my current budget. I got lucky with this one, as I got it barely used but at half a price.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #80
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
My original 2 Sony 350s have multiplied over the past few months. A friend sent me a blue one (finally had a blue one! ) but there were multiple scratches spread across the upper right area, and a bad gouge in the lower left. If worked fine, but that bad screen just annoyed me, mine are still like new, not even a slight scratch anywhere. So I found a used silver one on eBay for $45 and swapped the screens. Then I saw another used one for $35 and couldn't resist it if even for spare parts later on. And then I found a perfect blue 350 from the UK that I had a friend get for me and send here, that one even included the stylus.

So I now have 4 silver (1 with the scratched screen though) and 2 blue 350s. I really love this reader and will keep it until they all die or I die, whichever comes first. And now that I know how to swap the guts, I should be able to keep the blue ones going for a looooooong time.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #81
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Those blue PRS-350's really are very smart aren't they. I've got mine in the official Sony case, and although I don't normally like leather cases, it's still so neat and slim. I do prefer reading on my Kindle 3 because of the side page turn buttons, but the 350 is just so aesthetically pleasing!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #82
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Those blue PRS-350's really are very smart aren't they. I've got mine in the official Sony case, and although I don't normally like leather cases, it's still so neat and slim. I do prefer reading on my Kindle 3 because of the side page turn buttons, but the 350 is just so aesthetically pleasing!
With PRS+ installed on my PRS-350, I've set all single taps to go to the next page so I don't really miss having physical buttons. I still use swipe for previous page, though.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:57 AM   #83
nonanon
Enthusiast
nonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmos

Device: iPad, Nook Simple Touch
I still have my Sony PRS-600 but it rarely gets used as the screen washes out in bright sunlight despite multiple fix-its.

My main reader is a Nook Simple Touch and my wife has the same model. I rooted both of them so we can use various readers, CoolReader is my current favorite even though it only offers two fonts. The NST is almost ideal but I'm tempted to get a new reader with a built-in backlight. Maybe I'll get lucky and drop my NST in the tub at some point .

For comics, PDF and mags I use my iPad. If it wasn't so heavy I'd use it exclusively so I may look at an iPad mini in the future too.

My cell is older, a Samsung Vibrant with a screen too small for me to read on comfortably. Sad because just a couple of years back I was happy reading on my iPod Touch, and with my old Tapwave Zodiac before that. I guess I've been spoiled by larger screens or just gotten too old . My wife now has an LG Nexus 4 which might be big enough but I haven't tried yet.
nonanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #84
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonanon View Post
My cell is older, a Samsung Vibrant with a screen too small for me to read on comfortably. Sad because just a couple of years back I was happy reading on my iPod Touch, and with my old Tapwave Zodiac before that. I guess I've been spoiled by larger screens or just gotten too old . My wife now has an LG Nexus 4 which might be big enough but I haven't tried yet.
I completely understand. I can't read on my iPod Touch anymore. I've been spoiled by my Samsung Galaxy SII. The 4.5 inch screen is so much bigger. Plus, it isn't uncomfortable to read on. In fact, I do read on it sometimes. I use my Sony PRS-350 more (less glare) but my Galaxy screen isn't much smaller than the screen on the 350. You should try reading on the Nexus 4. It has a huge screen and you might be pleasantly surprised.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #85
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Go for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2, if you want big. It's 5.5". Or even that new Huawei phone of 6.1 inch.

May be too big for a phone though. My Nexus 4 (4.7") is the uppermost maximum I want to carry.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:52 AM   #86
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Red face Ummmm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
I see that a lot of people have more than one ereader device. I mean, I have an iPad2 plus a Sony PRS-T1. My iPad2 was not purchased for ereading, but I started to do so and then got a Sony ereader, just for reading.
But I see that others have a Kindle, as well as a Kobo Touch and sometimes even more than two!
Are you reading on different devices, or why do you use more ereaders? Just curious.
Not sure if I should so this but:
Eink ereaders:
Sony PRS505
Sony PRS350
Sony PRS650
Sony T2
Kobo Glo
Kobo Mini
(I'm not good at selling those..)
I've had, and sold some tablets and a Kindle DX
But I have a Kindle Paperwhite for my wife (replacing a K4 which needs to get rehomed with a relative).

Tablets - Kindle, Kobo, Zinio and FBReader software on:
IBM Thinkpad Tablet
iPad 1
iPod Touch
iPhone 3GS
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Windows Mobile Phone 7
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7
Samsung Galaxy Note (1)

The phones are rarely read from - but they all have the Kindle app - the iPod Touch has gone the same way - its primarily music and apps.

The android tablets are used for reading and a host of other work - photos, movies, internet access - they tend to be general purpose. But I do read a lot on them.

The ereaders are used interchangeably. (except the PRS 505 - its a bit old and slow now.)

And I also use a win 8 tablet (Lenovo Twist) for PDF's on occasion.

Plus various laptops ... All have the Kindle app.

Hmm - should clean things up a bit - nah - no fun

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #87
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I've got reader apps on both of my iPod touch units, but I never use 'em. I infrequently use them on my iPad mini, generally when that's all I have on hand. Ditto for my Asus Transformer tablet. I also have desktop apps on two computers, which I don't read with often at all, but I have to have a PC in the loop to buy Adobe-protected books. I suppose you could count my twin Palm T2s as being capable of being used to read, and once upon a time I did use one for that, but these days I only use them for their database app. Basically, I don't like using those things as readers.

I bought a Kobo Wifi unit when Borders was closing, then passed it to my mother when I upgraded to a Kobo Touch. The same thing will happen pretty soon, when my Kobo Glo comes in - so count me as having one Kobo unit. I also own a Kindle Touch that I'm in no rush to upgrade, because I only bought it for access to Amazon-exclusive content and sales.

So, all told...two readers, two sometimes readers, and half a dozen if-I-must readers. And that doesn't include the two computers I could dig out of mothballs if I really had to.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:00 AM   #88
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have many devices on which I could read, but only two on which I actually do read - a Kindle PW and an iPad. I do the majority of my reading on the PW, but I use the iPad for things which benefit from the larger screen - most notably PDFs.

I have a few older readers: a Pocketbook 360, BeBook Neo, and iRex iLiad - which I still have simply because I hung on to them for too long for it to be worthwhile selling them; I doubt that anyone would be interested in them now. I also have a Kindle Touch (the PW's predecessor as my primary reader) which I keep as a backup in case any misfortune should befall the PW.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-06-2013 at 04:06 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #89
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
<duplicated post, deleted>

Last edited by kumaryu; 03-06-2013 at 04:58 AM.
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #90
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
My primary reader is the Kobo Glo. Glo's E-ink allows me to read in bright sunlight on the beach and its illuminated display allows reading in the dark.

My most recent acquisition is the Arc but am not sure Whether it'll ever be used for reading. Device is too heavy, has a short battery life and way too many cool distractions.

My other readers are sitting on the bookshelf next to my paper copy of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Loved but unread.
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote