Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #46
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
An e-reader to me is defined as having e-ink, so that makes 'only' two for me: the K3 and the Paperwhite. I do use my iPad for comics / manga, however, and I sometime read on the iPod touch or the iPad, but major reading, yeah, only on the Paperwhite now.
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #47
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I just got a Kindle Touch, so that makes 5 e-ink readers, but giving one to my mother and selling another soon, so I'll be down to 3.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #48
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Gen 3 (gifted to my father) Opus, orizon and odyssey taking dust, PRS-T1 on my night table to read in bed, odyssey HD in my bag.

The evolution was a bit crazy, the new was was most of time "worth it", maybe things will calm down a bit now.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #49
KinomiyaMichiru
Bookaholic Holly
KinomiyaMichiru once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.KinomiyaMichiru once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.KinomiyaMichiru once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.KinomiyaMichiru once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.KinomiyaMichiru once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.KinomiyaMichiru once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.KinomiyaMichiru once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.KinomiyaMichiru once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.KinomiyaMichiru once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.KinomiyaMichiru once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.KinomiyaMichiru once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: OnePlus 3T (phone), Kindle PW (7th Gen), CB Flip, and Fire (5th Gen) .
I have 2 that I use: a Sony Pocket Reader (PRS-300) and a Pandigital Novel 6".

I also have a Lookbook eReader, which I do not use.

And, I have my PSP-2001 and my father's Android phone both set up to read eBooks as well.
KinomiyaMichiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #50
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I have five. My progression:

eBookman 911 - first portable device that I could afford that had ereader capabilities; I think I got it around 2001

Aluratek Libre Pro - my first "modern" dedicated ereader; it was the most affordable one out there and handled more formats than the Sonys - I still use it occasionally

Sony PRS-350 - got it because: I wanted to see what the difference was between e-ink (Sony) and e-paper (Aluratek) was, it was smaller and lighter than the Aluratek, I thought the design looked sleek (still do)

Pandigital Novel (original white) - I wanted to see what a reading on a back-lit color touch screen was like, and I wanted to try my hand at rooting an Android device; rarely use it because the images aren't crisp enough, the device is heavy for reading, and the backlight tires out my eyes after extended reading, the Android root was never very intuitive for me

Sony T1 - I wanted a larger screen than the Aluratek or the 350, wanted a touch screen, liked the abilities of the device and the 12 included dictionaries, wanted to be able to use epubs instead of being tied to the Kindle format, and just liked the look of the device better than the Nook or Kobo ones; it remains my primary ereader
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #51
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Kindle 4 (Silver)

Kindle Paperwhite

Kindle Keyboard (Graphite)

Nook 1st Gen.

Sony PRS-300SC

Kindle Fire 1st Gen.

I have a birthday coming up too, I don't know if I'll be able to resist getting another.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #52
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I have two. My K3 (Kindle Keyboard) and my new Paperwhite. My mom has one (that she seldom uses) thats a K3 with special offers.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:10 AM   #53
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Two - Kindle 4S & Kindle Keyboard. K4S is primary and KK is backup.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #54
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I have had only one at a time.

Cybook Gen3 (dec 2007 - feb 2008). Sold due to not liking ebooks then. Hated navigation by buttons.
Kindle Touch (jan 2012 - dec 2012). Retry. ebooks are better. Liked touchscreen. Sold to upgrade to Paperwhite.
Kindle PW (dec 2012 - now). Do not plan on selling this again.

I may get another Paperwhite or its successor, or an EPUB-reader such as a Kobo (or Sony, when they get front lights) as a second one and backup. I do not see a point in having more than two readers at one time.

I do not count anything that does not have an eInk screen to be an eReader, so I don't count my Android tablet or phone. I don't use them for reading books.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #55
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
5 eInk:
Sony PRS-505
Kindle K3
3x Sony PRS-350

6 LCD:
Sony Tablet S (only one that isn't 7")
Kindle Fire (original)
2x Creative ZiiOs
Slick 50 ($28)
Coby MID 7048

Not counting Sony Clie PDAs and Android phones.

Thank you mgmueller, sneakyspider, ilovejedd, for sharing the same owning/charging problem.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #56
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Two, Bookeen Opus which I use most of the time and K3. But I have a problem, I'm forever plotting which one to buy next. Been through talking myself out of Sony 650, Kobo Glo, Kobo mini, Bookeen Odyssey (returned) and now I keep Paperwhite in amazon basket. I just like new gadgets

Last edited by Chi Cygni; 02-20-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: typo
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #57
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
What's the use of keeping so many readers? I've had three but I only keep one. I take great care each time so that I can resell them for a good amount; that way, I can afford to always buy the newest model (when it's worth it).
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #58
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPE View Post
What's the use of keeping so many readers? I've had three but I only keep one. I take great care each time so that I can resell them for a good amount; that way, I can afford to always buy the newest model (when it's worth it).
Why do people collect anything? For myself, I just like ereaders and I like all of the different kinds. There are worse hobbies to have.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #59
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I have a Kindle 4, but I don't use it very much. My main e-reader is my Sony PRS-T2.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #60
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPE View Post
You could also so: I don't understand those people that resell stuff... I'll keep on using it till it breaks. I won't buy it unless I want it, why would I want to get rid of it simply because something new is available?

I have my own reasons for having multiple readers. Different situations require different tools. And sometimes it's simply fun to buy a new device... (which is partly why I bought my newest addition: a Pyrus Mini (4.3").

So, I now have my tablet for night time reading, my Sony for sunny day reading, my BBMini for portable reading and the PMini for ultra-portable reading...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote