Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-06-2021, 04:35 PM   #1
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Inverted screen function for new reader. Kobo only?

Hey,

After more than 10 years reading on small screens (one Bookeen and two Kobo, Glo and Glo HD), I am just looking to try out large screen readers.

I am thinking about Kobo Aura One, Forma or Pocketbook Inkpad 3.

I currently have a Kobo Glo HD, and I love the hacking scene, especially the inverted mode (dark screen, white writing).

Can this invert screen stuff be achieved Kobo only? Or pocketbook would be OK too?

Maybe it's a functionnality of KOReader?

Side question, which one from Kobo or Pocketbook has the best frontlight (warmth and lowest level)?

Thanks,
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:57 PM   #2
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
with KoReader on Pocketbook, you can have inverted screen (white font, dark background).

Warmth and lowest level frontlight; naturally this is all opinion; but if you generally read using white-on-dark; then it's less important, imo. At that point, I think the next thing that can be mildly disconcerting (at least for me) the full page refresh (if that's the right term); where , at least for me, occasionally the full page has to refresh, which briefly flashes brightly, then back to white-on-dark. Maybe it's my own settings, which honestly, I haven't pursued too deeply to configure better...neither in KoReader nor on the Kobo with the inverted screen choice selected.

I know that doesn't answer your question about frontlight/warm light. But honestly since I switched to primarily using white-on-dark, I don't pay too much attention to my warmth light or frontlight brightness settings, to adjust that interactively.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2021, 04:23 AM   #3
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkissinger View Post
with KoReader on Pocketbook, you can have inverted screen (white font, dark background).

Warmth and lowest level frontlight; naturally this is all opinion; but if you generally read using white-on-dark; then it's less important, imo. At that point, I think the next thing that can be mildly disconcerting (at least for me) the full page refresh (if that's the right term); where , at least for me, occasionally the full page has to refresh, which briefly flashes brightly, then back to white-on-dark. Maybe it's my own settings, which honestly, I haven't pursued too deeply to configure better...neither in KoReader nor on the Kobo with the inverted screen choice selected.

I know that doesn't answer your question about frontlight/warm light. But honestly since I switched to primarily using white-on-dark, I don't pay too much attention to my warmth light or frontlight brightness settings, to adjust that interactively.
Thanks for the answer about KOReader. I may give it a try on my Glo HD.

For the frontlight brightness level, it is important for me. I mostly ready in the dark, brightness at 1% and inverted screen (dark background, white text). My wife is super painful sensitive about it. She says she can't sleep when brightness is too high while I read.

So that's why I asked about it.

About screen refresh, I am usually fine with the flash once every 6 pages, when I started, back to the Bookeen time, the flash was at every page, otherwise you had ghosting.

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2021, 06:44 AM   #4
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Not only Kobo. The inverted screen option has been available to Kindle Paperwhite 4, and Oasis as well.

It was listed under Accessibility, but recently a Dark Mode toggle was added. Does the same thing.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:50 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghirrim View Post
Hey,

After more than 10 years reading on small screens (one Bookeen and two Kobo, Glo and Glo HD), I am just looking to try out large screen readers.

I am thinking about Kobo Aura One, Forma or Pocketbook Inkpad 3.

I currently have a Kobo Glo HD, and I love the hacking scene, especially the inverted mode (dark screen, white writing).

Can this invert screen stuff be achieved Kobo only? Or pocketbook would be OK too?

Maybe it's a functionnality of KOReader?

Side question, which one from Kobo or Pocketbook has the best frontlight (warmth and lowest level)?

Thanks,
With Kobo and NickelMenu, you can even invert the screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2021, 07:46 AM   #6
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

Thanks both.

I use Kobo night mode for years now, yep. Sorry if I wasn't clear. My question was more for the other brands.

I have installed KOReader on my glo HD and found it nice too. So I'll be good to go for either a Pocketbook Inkpad 3, or a Kobo Aura One / Forma .

No Kindle for me..... I need an open reader. I don't want to have anything to deal with Amazon's ecosystem.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Also consider likebook and onyx. I use onyx nova with alreader. Nice orange light with reverse night mode. Onyx has a more red light than kobo. Nook has the nicest light and runs koreader when rooted.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:55 AM   #8
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Also consider likebook and onyx. I use onyx nova with alreader. Nice orange light with reverse night mode. Onyx has a more red light than kobo. Nook has the nicest light and runs koreader when rooted.
Thanks. how about the battery life on Onyx and Nook? These are more e-ink tablets than e-readers, right?
Old 01-08-2021, 04:52 AM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Thanks. how about the battery life on Onyx and Nook? These are more e-ink tablets than e-readers, right?
Regarding Boox you can see it here for some devices.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:52 AM   #10
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Regarding Boox you can see it here for some devices.
Yeah.. Good channel, thanks. Nova definitely looks good. But pricewise... it's not gonna work. In addition to the fact that in France, it looks like 1US$ = 1€

so could be worth buying directly in the US in a low tax state (340US$ = 280€), but no way 340€ in France.... our retailers are thiefs.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:18 AM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Battery on Onyx/Likebook pretty crap compared to a Kobo/Kindle. But it's okay for me. I charge every three days. I read a fair bit. A Kindle lasts forever on a charge.

Regarding price, you could get an older used model off ebay or the flea market here. You'll need a case. 3 out of 4 of my Onyx device I bought used. They all still work fine. I have two generation 1 Nova 7.8 e-readers. More than adequate for my needs. I don't need the latest version of Android.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 01-08-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:46 AM   #12
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Battery on Onyx/Likebook pretty crap compared to a Kobo/Kindle. But it's okay for me. I charge every three days. I read a fair bit. A Kindle lasts forever on a charge.

Regarding price, you could get an older used model off ebay or the flea market here. You'll need a case. 3 out of 4 of my Onyx device I bought used. They all still work fine. I have two generation 1 Nova 7.8 e-readers. More than adequate for my needs. I don't need the latest version of Android.
Cool thanks
Old 01-08-2021, 11:19 AM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah.. Good channel, thanks. Nova definitely looks good. But pricewise... it's not gonna work. In addition to the fact that in France, it looks like 1US$ = 1€

so could be worth buying directly in the US in a low tax state (340US$ = 280€), but no way 340€ in France.... our retailers are thiefs.
Here you can find sometimes cheaper devices.
I've already bought there and I'm very satisfied.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:25 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Here you can find sometimes cheaper devices.
I've already bought there and I'm very satisfied.
They have incorrect listings.

The only 8" Reader is the Kobo Forma so the 8" Reader they list is really 7.8". The 11" Reader doesn't exist and they show a 13.3" Reader. The 9-10" Readers the list are 10.3" Readers. The 7" Readers they show are really 7.8" or 6.8".

They really need to fix their listing and some of the photos they show are showing Readers no longer being made.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:43 AM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
They have incorrect listings.
But I'm not buying a listing, I'm buying a device.
And there they show what they have.