Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'm giving my sister my nook for Christmas

Well, nook and I had a short but good run together, but all good things must pass. I have a new e-reader (Sony 950) and don't need two, so I'm going to give the nook to my sister who also is a big reader and doesn't have an e-reader yet. I haven't even told her that I got a new e-reader for myself yet so it'll be more of a surprise.

I hope she doesn't mind that I'm giving her a second-hand gift, but I've kept it in pristine condition and the price alone should make her not care. Also, I'm getting her a decalgirl skin that I know she'll love, to put on it before I give it to her so it'll be her own. And I'm going to pre-load some books she wants on there to get her started.

I'm sad to be leaving a device that has a great e-book store and a great in-store experience and good customer service. But I feel good knowing I'm giving her a device that has that stuff. And if and when the e-ink nook 2 comes out, I may be back. I'm hoping by sometime next year to have a colour e-ink touchscreen (which I think they'll do with a nook 2 rather than bother with an LCD lower part if the whole thing is colour......IF they keep going with e-ink and don't give it up in favour of the LCD).

Cheers!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
You know you can dress it up too, put it in a nice new cover, heck you can even buy a new color back for it. Barnes and Nobles has these fantastic Nook gift bags you can present it in, very stylish and throw in a BN gift card as well.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
You know you can dress it up too, put it in a nice new cover, heck you can even buy a new color back for it. Barnes and Nobles has these fantastic Nook gift bags you can present it in, very stylish and throw in a BN gift card as well.
Great suggestions!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hm, a nook gift bag does sound like a good idea. I still have the original box (in pristine condition) so I'm going to put the nook with decal skin on it in the box to give to her. Maybe I'll then put that in the nook gift bag. I'm trying not to spend too much extra money since her gift is more expensive really than others I'm giving to the rest of my family, but since it's second-hand (though looks like new) I do want to spruce it up.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the gift bags are something like $3.99 and you can get great covers for $30 but maybe that's something you can leave to her choosing.
That is one of the fun luxury's of owning the nook, IMHO they have by far and away the most stylish accesories and covers etc. than any ereader out there.

You sister is very Lucky
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 06:07 AM   #6
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Yes, I'm trying not to spend too much but I'm getting the gift bag I think (chartreuse!) and I may give in and get a cover too (Industriell Easel).

I do have two questions for anyone who may know the answers:

Has anyone used the decalgirl skins on their nook? I'm wondering about the back side, because of the recessed "n". Does it make the decal skin look odd there when applied?

Separately, how does one go about buying e-books for someone else? Is it impossible because of the drm system? I want the nook to be loaded when she receives it with a few books I know she wants, but I want to definitely buy them from B&N so they will show up in cover flow, but I want them to be hers and in her library once she starts an account. Impossible, no?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Yes, I'm trying not to spend too much but I'm getting the gift bag I think (chartreuse!) and I may give in and get a cover too (Industriell Easel).

I do have two questions for anyone who may know the answers:

Has anyone used the decalgirl skins on their nook? I'm wondering about the back side, because of the recessed "n". Does it make the decal skin look odd there when applied?

Separately, how does one go about buying e-books for someone else? Is it impossible because of the drm system? I want the nook to be loaded when she receives it with a few books I know she wants, but I want to definitely buy them from B&N so they will show up in cover flow, but I want them to be hers and in her library once she starts an account. Impossible, no?
You can load up using epub books go to either kobo fictionwise sony or borders or vive her a gift card
Old 12-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Well I ended up buying her a case too and the gift bag. Darn you boswd for giving me the ideas! Now my other family members are going to be jealous of all the stuff I'm getting her!

The only thing that sucks is that with a case her pretty decal skin will be covered on the back, but it's the same design on the front and the nook skins come with a wallpaper so it's all good really.

About buying her books. I think I'm going to buy her a few that will just legally be "mine" because I want them on there when she opens it up. The only problem is, and I guess I'll discuss this with B&N when I call to have them help me de-register mine and get it back to "new" before I load the few books I'm giving her onto it, is that will I be able to load "my" books onto an unregistered, so not associated with my B&N account, nook? Does my question make sense?

Like, will I be able to load books onto the nook without it being registered, then she be able to register it so she can then buy books and all that but still keep those that I bought her on it?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I'm not sure whether you can load books up on an unregistered Nook, but for a registered one you're supposed to be able to put books from different accounts on it, as long as you've got the Name/CC# info for the account from which the books originate.

A couple of Nook owners on this forum have done it with success, I think, and hopefully will pop up to confirm/deny.

You might also consider creating a new B&N account in her name, buying the books under your CC# and registering/loading up the Nook, then removing your CC/billing info and turning over the password to her when you present her with the Nook so she can switch it to her own email address and such.

This is something that's also supposed to work, and there's another thread right now in this forum about it.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote