Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
TheD0ct0r
Enthusiast
TheD0ct0r began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Metadata duplicated in file

I have several .mobi books that have the Metadata saved as the first page. I want to edit that data, so I import the files into Calibre telling Calibre to read the Metadata from the book. I then edit the data, and reconvert back to .mobi telling Calbre to insert the Metadata as a page in the start of the book.

The problem is, when I do this the Metadata is inserted twice. The original data that was in the file and read by Calibre, and the updated Metadata I wrote back.

Is there any way to work around this behavior, or will I get a new page of Metadata every time I want to update it?

Thank you for your time.
TheD0ct0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you will get a duplicate page each time with MOBI. If you were using epub, you woudn't. Limitations of the MOBI format mean that the page cannot be reliably "replaced", only prepended.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
TheD0ct0r
Enthusiast
TheD0ct0r began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks!
TheD0ct0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I always keep .epub files for all books so that after changing metadata, I can convert .epub to .mobi (with option "Insert metadata as page...") without metadata duplication.
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote