Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
billyray
billyray began at the beginning.

Device: prs-950
Shadowy figures lurked...

Well, day two with my new prs-950 and the screen started ghosting. It was a slight nuisance with some, but if I opened up a feature, there would then be double ghosting. I restarted and reset and the ghosting continued, so I returned it and got a new one. This time I did drop the $39 on the one year "everything but a plunge in the toilet" coverage. Suddenly seemed worth it.

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

By the way, If you buy at Best Buy after Nov. 1st, you have until January 25 to return it, which is a nice, long test drive.
billyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please post questions about the Sony Reader in the Sony forum, not "General Discussions". I have moved this thread.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
zoobiliezoo
zoobiliezoo began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader 650
[QUOTE=billyray;1196578] This time I did drop the $39 on the one year "everything but a plunge in the toilet" coverage. Suddenly seemed worth it.

So you have to pay sony (or the retailer??) extra money in case the device itself malfunctions from ordinary use?
zoobiliezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
All e-ink devices have some level of ghosting, but I haven't noticed it as being any worse on my 950, to me it actually seems a little better.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Actually this is additional to warranty... I believe it is insurance against the things warranty doesn't cover like dropping it etc...

[QUOTE=zoobiliezoo;1197217]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyray View Post
So you have to pay sony (or the retailer??) extra money in case the device itself malfunctions from ordinary use?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Ghosting in normal for e-ink devices. It is most prominent when there are pictures or darker text. If you are reading a book with normal text, you will not see the ghosting on successive page turns.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
billyray

ghosting...

Huh, well this is my first ereader, but I don't find that acceptable.
The way it was happening on mine was to the point that it got difficult to make out the text on the next page. Temporary ghosting I might live with, but if it stays on the page, or especially if it stacks on successive pages, as mine did, I would have to go to some other technology - probably be back to my netbook or a pad of some sort.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
billyray

Oh, and it was an additional warranty. Everything but submersion, so they say.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
billyray

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please post questions about the Sony Reader in the Sony forum, not "General Discussions". I have moved this thread.
OK.
Thanks for moving it.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***All e-ink devices have some level of ghosting***

Many seem to agree with you, Mr Goodbear, but it's a problem I've never come across with my PRS 505 in the two years I've been using it. Maybe I just struck lucky with this particular unit. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyray View Post
Huh, well this is my first ereader, but I don't find that acceptable.
The way it was happening on mine was to the point that it got difficult to make out the text on the next page. Temporary ghosting I might live with, but if it stays on the page, or especially if it stacks on successive pages, as mine did, I would have to go to some other technology - probably be back to my netbook or a pad of some sort.
This sounds like a defective reader/screen. You should exchange it.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
The only time I have seen any ghosting on my 950 is when it has been subjected to cold temperatures as when I have taken it outside with me when going to the doctor's office. Once it began to warm up (that is, get closer to room temperature) the ghosting disappeared.

I, too, bought the extended warranty (3 years) as it covers accidentally sitting on it or having my cat use it as a springboard to a window sill and cracking the screen, among other possible calamities. When I got my 505 3 years ago, I bought a 3-year extended warranty for it. Haven't yet had to use it (and it only has 3 months to go), but it gave me great peace of mind. I didn't hesitate to take it everywhere with me.

The Sonys come with a standard 1-year warranty (90 days on labor), but if you sit on the device and break the screen, it is isn't covered. As far as i know, the standard warranty is typical of that offered on most readers and if you want drop-the-Coke-can-on-the-screen coverage, you have to buy an accidental damage warranty.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #13
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I have also noticed ghosting on my 950. Nothing extreme - but certainly more than the PRS900 it just replaced. I don't think I will return it - it is not noticeable during regular use - but it is there.

Especially if you switch from really dark backgrounds to a white page.

It does not seem to carry across pages in the way the OP describes. But the previous page is often visible.

If I put the device in standby, without a screensaver, I can still see the previous text.

As I said, not sure if I want to return it. It's more ghosting than the PRS900 however. But that might be just because of the lighter background/darker font, which is making it more obvious.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote