Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 06:36 AM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No. I don't see a problem. Most first books of a series still pretty much stand on their own. For example, I have read Mistborn... it is the first of 3 but the story in that particular book ended and while I want to read more I don't feel the story wasn't concluded.

Magic Kingdom For Sale - Sold is the first of 5 I think in that series. But, it is also a great stand alone story. this book is what got my hooked on Terry Brooks. Same with Wizard's First Rule... etc.

Ok... now there is a rule...

Rule: there is no rule about nominating a book from a series/triligy, etc.

BOb
So then it is ok to nominate a book in the middle of a series even though that's just wrong?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #62
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'll nominate The Spirit Ring by Lois McMaster Bujold.

This is a stand-alone fantasy novel, complete in itself, and not part of some great series. It's available in drm-free multiformat at Fictionwise.
Can I get a second and third for The Spirit Ring? I think it's really rather good.

Meanwhile, I'll use one of my other two nominations to third The Princess Bride
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:26 AM   #63
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I'll second A Game of Thrones
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #64
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So then it is ok to nominate a book in the middle of a series even though that's just wrong?
Wrong is subjective.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #65
voodooblues
Connoisseur
voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad(3 or HD or whatever), iPad Mini, Kindle 7" hdx, Samsung 7 tab 3
I would like to second Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
voodooblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #66
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
It's two books, in the Italian version.
Well that sucks, but it's really one book. Do Italian publishers often split books like that? I know it's happened here in the US, but not often as far as I'm aware. A Game of Thrones is fairly long, but not overly so. IIRC it's about 750 pages or so.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #67
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
There seem to be multiple books with three nominations. Is the winner decided?
This is only the nominations thread. When it closes, PilotBOb will open a voting thread with a poll consisting of all those books that have received three votes in this one.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #68
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Right!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #69
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Right!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #70
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll third A Game of Thrones.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #71
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
This is only the nominations thread. When it closes, PilotBOb will open a voting thread with a poll consisting of all those books that have received three votes in this one.
Sorry... I haven't had time to go through, count the noms yet. If someone else wants to do that and post the nominations and number each book has so far, I wouldn't complain.

I will try to get to it tonight when I am home from work... or if not certainly tomorrow since I am taking a 4 day weekend.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #72
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierfek View Post
I third this
Magic Kingdom For Sale — Sold! already has three nominations. (voodooblues, Rich_D, RyanMWilliams)
Old 06-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #73
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If someone else wants to do that and post the nominations and number each book has so far, I wouldn't complain.
The Lord of the Rings: HarryT, lila55, banjomike
His Majesty's Dragon: Rich_D, ficbot, JSWolf
The Deed of Paksenarrion: AnemicOak, HarryT, RyanMWilliams
Magic Kingdom For Sale — Sold!: voodooblues, Rich_D, RyanMWilliams
American Gods: recluse, Tim Mason, John F
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland: WT Sharpe, kennyc, lila55
Gulliver's Travels: lila55, WT Sharpe, khalleron
The Hobbit: JSWolf, Rich_D, khalleron
The Princess Bride: AnemicOak, JSWolf, pdurrant
A Game of Thrones: AnemicOak, thinkpadx, John F

Mistborn: afa, voodooblues
Perdido Street Station: Format C:, afa

The Voyage of the Minotaur: John F,
Metagame: hmonster (Is it SF, not Fantasy?)
The Shadow of the Lion: mikaelalind,
For The Win: Poppa1956 (Is it SF, not Fantasy?)
Witches Abroad: TimMason
The Spirit Ring: pdurrant
Old 06-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #74
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Looks like a good selection for the ten in the poll.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Ok, we are done with the nominating. We have the requisite 10 3rds. So onto the vote once Bob sets it up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote