Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Onyx 9.7" in Search of a Distributor

I don't want to hijack the Astak thread, so here is another post on the Onyx 9.7" device, available for orders of minimum of 3,000

Hardware Specification
6"/ 8"/ 9.7" E INK® Vizplex® EPD display
Touch panel with full screen scribble
16-level grayscale
400MHz processor or above
128MB RAM or above
512MB Flash or above
USB 2.0 with OTG support
SD/MMC with SDIO & SDHC support
2.5mm Stereo Headphone Jack
Wi-Fi/CDMA 1XRTT/GPRS/3G (option)
1600mAh replaceable Li-ion battery
Features
Multiple languages support
Details/Thumbnail/List page view
Search and dictionary support
Text to speech (TTS) support
Font size & family change, Zoom in/out
Bookmark/Table of contents
Format Support
PDF/TXT/HTML/MOBIPOCKET/EPUB/CHM/PDB/JPG/PNG/GIF/BMP/TIFF/MP3/WAV

I am not sure if it's a touch device, but I don't see any buttons which would allow navigation for stuff like dictionary, so it may be. Also, the smaller versions of the device, which look very similar, are touch-screen. I also see something, that looks like a stylus, on the back of the device.

Available for delivery 90 days after deposit.

I don't want to put any ideas in the mobileread crew's heads, but, if you do your logo on the back, it may not look bad....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ebook Reader 9.7-1.jpeg
Views:	483
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	30780  

Last edited by Sonist; 06-14-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Touch panel with full screen scribble

I am not sure if it's a touch device,
I think you answered your own question ... its up in the specs you listed and that I excerpted above. However, this is the one 'promise' that makes me doubtful about their ability to deliver.

I would love to see touch screen annotation in a book reader for reading professional books. However, I'm not sure that the state of the technology is ready. After reading comments on the current touch screen e-ink devices my take is that e-ink today simply can't refresh fast enough for a natural feeling touchscreen annotation. I think that touch screen would require either non-eink or a faster generation of eink.

So, I'm looking for comments from others. My comments are based on second hand observations from this board. What do you think, is touch screen annotation ready for prime time? Maybe with the epson controller?
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I don't want to put any ideas in the mobileread crew's heads, but, if you do your logo on the back, it may not look bad....
Hmm, a device with the MR logo....
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
I think you answered your own question ... its up in the specs you listed and that I excerpted above. However, this is the one 'promise' that makes me doubtful about their ability to deliver....
Duh, I guess I should take my ADD medication :-) Didn't see the "touch panel" part.

But if it is stylus-operated, like iRex, the screen contrast may not be adversely affected. And yeah, I'd love to have a high-contrast, clear, finger-touch e-Ink screen.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hmm, a device with the MR logo....
I would buy it in a second.

but min order of 3000x maybe 300 (maybe more.) = 900,000
I don't think alex has that much money.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I would buy it in a second.

but min order of 3000x maybe 300 (maybe more.) = 900,000
I don't think alex has that much money.
I'd imagine it's much cheaper. Test it, write about it, then take pre-paid pre-orders - no returns, no support.... If the price is right, there might be a few takers
Old 06-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
I dunno -- That sort of business model from NAEB that tryed to do the same sort of thing with the Cybook didn't turn out too well.

But I would buy one... What is the price?
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But what sort of support will there be from Onyx and how much would it cost for the 9.7" version?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote