Notices

Old 04-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
Pixie25
Pixie25 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad,kindle fire
Unhappy Epub validation error

I'm getting Epub validation errors

WARNING OEBPS/content.opf 6 24 title element is empty
ERROR OEBPS/content.opf 18 46 character content of element "dc:identifier" invalid; must be a string with length at least 1 (actual length was 0)

Used Indesign CS 5.5 to create.

Any help would be great.
Pixie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There must be an unique identifier in the opf file. Most people use the ISBN number when available. More or less the same is valid for the title. The title element in the opf is required in the ePUB specifications.
I assume that in ID this can be done in the metadata.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:39 AM   #3
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie25 View Post
WARNING OEBPS/content.opf 6 24 title element is empty
ERROR OEBPS/content.opf 18 46 character content of element "dc:identifier" invalid; must be a string with length at least 1 (actual length was 0)

Used Indesign CS 5.5 to create.
Maybe you missed to fill in some options before creating your epub ?

You may try sigil to correct it, it has a metadata-editor
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
Pixie25
Pixie25 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad,kindle fire
Smile

Thank you both.

Issue fixed.
Pixie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
stephentiano
Freelance Book Designer
stephentiano began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I know I'm months late to this thread, but I was pleased to find it. Only it leaves me with other questions. For instance, if I'm just trying to put together a sample epub doc from a print book I did design and layout on, what can I use for ID info, since the ISBN is not mine to fool around with? Also, is there generally a "rule book" or operations manual that decodes validator error messages in plain, non-techie English?

Thank you.
stephentiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:46 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephentiano View Post
I'm just trying to put together a sample epub doc from a print book I did design and layout on, what can I use for ID info, since the ISBN is not mine to fool around with?
Anything you like as long as it's unique. For example I use afjbnnn where afjb are my intials, and nnn is a three digit number. If I ever get to my thousandth ePub I'll use afjb1000
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:09 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I use "Jellby:YYYYMMDD", where YYYYMMDD is the date when I create the OPF file. If I create several ones in a single day, I add "b", "c", etc. My identifier looks like this:

Code:
<dc:identifier id="BookId">Jellby:20120701</dc:identifier>
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:26 AM   #8
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
I use UUID, generated by the standard "uuidgen -r" command on any GNU/Linux box.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
stacyl276
stacyl276 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am getting the error: character content of element "dc:identifier" invalid; must be a string with length at least 1. Sounds like the fix is to open the source code and place the ISB number into the dc: identifier. Can someone post what code and am looking for to add this to? May sound trivial but I am new with code.
Also, the validator is telling me to take the spaces out of my file names. I can't do this since the TOC uses these names. Is this going to be a problem in final validation?
stacyl276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyl276 View Post
I am getting the error: character content of element "dc:identifier" invalid; must be a string with length at least 1. Sounds like the fix is to open the source code and place the ISB number into the dc: identifier. Can someone post what code and am looking for to add this to? May sound trivial but I am new with code.
Also, the validator is telling me to take the spaces out of my file names. I can't do this since the TOC uses these names. Is this going to be a problem in final validation?
Jellby has posted a perfect solution 3 messages above. You should replace the whole "<dc:identifier"- line in content.opf with one that matches the sample above.

Btw: Doing this would be easy by using sigil, but which tool do you use ?? Building a toc from filenames is a bit unusual. Spaces and other special character's (such like äöü) in Filenames could cause problems (somewhere in the universe ), but i never heard about a case, where they are a real problem.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
stacyl276
stacyl276 began at the beginning.

Device: none
What program opens the .opf file. I assumed a text editor or Dreamweaver would do this but neither let me. I'm not seeing where I can fix this in the metadata panel (in InDesign) either. I tried to use sigil but I am on OS 10.5.8 and can't seem to find an older download of Sigil anywhere. The newest version needs OS 10.6.
stacyl276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
What program opens the .opf file. I assumed a text editor or Dreamweaver would do this but neither let me. I'm not seeing where I can fix this in the metadata panel (in InDesign) either. I tried to use sigil but I am on OS 10.5.8 and can't seem to find an older download of Sigil anywhere. The newest version needs OS 10.6.
An ePub container is just a ZIP file. Just unZIP the OPF file, make your changes using a text editor and put it back in.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:12 AM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
It's just a text file, and my Windows HTML editor opens it without problem. There must be an HTML editor which works on Apples.

Or you could try renaming content.opf to content.txt (or whatever Apple uses for text files) and then rename it back to content.opf when you've edited it.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
What program opens the .opf file...
i have a mac and use textwrangler to edit just about all epub content documents (including your opf). also it's free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephentiano View Post
what can I use for ID info, since the ISBN
i've also used http://www.famkruithof.net/uuid/uuidgen to generate unique identifiers
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub validation error