Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-10-2007, 08:45 AM   #61
bruce
Software Developer
bruce began at the beginning.

Device: Sage, Oasis, Voyage, Paperwhite, iLiad, reb1100
This thread has since wandered-on but it is important to correct misleading information when possible and particularly if one is responsible for distributing it in the first place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce
The iLiad browser treats any directory with a manifest file as a book.
My statement above in an earlier response to ig88 is not correct, or not complete anyways. The manifest.xml file describes the contents of the directory but depending on the attributes set in manifest.xml, the content browser may treat those contents as a single book, or, the manifest.xml may also simply configure a few atrributes of the directory itself.

For example, I keep my ebooks that have won the Hugo "Best Novel" category beneath a single directory. I wanted the browser to display my Hugo folder with its own icon and a brief description, just as I give to individual books. In that case I had to use the following manifest.xml file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>                                                         
<package>                                                                                     
  <metadata>                                                                                  
    <dc-metadata>                                                                             
      <Title>Hugo</Title>                                                                     
      <Description>"Best Novel" winners</Description>                                         
    </dc-metadata>                                                                            
    <y-metadata>                                                                              
      <image>.hugo.jpg</image>                                                                 
      <version>000</version>                                                                  
    </y-metadata>                                                                             
  </metadata>                                                                                 
  <directory>                                                                                 
    <content>.</content>                                                                      
  </directory>                                                                                
</package>
The <Title />, <Description /> and <image /> elements cause the browser to display this directory with a nice title, description and pretty icon. The additional <directory><content>.</content></directory> elements which you don't see in my earlier boilerplate manifest.xml for a book, inform the browser that this directory is still to be treated as a directory, not a book "bundle".

I'm seeking better documentation on manifest.xml. Some things are covered in How to make content for your iLiad (PDF) but there appears to be more to manifest.xml than is presently documented.

Last edited by bruce; 05-10-2007 at 12:17 PM.
bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:26 AM   #62
scstraus
scstraus began at the beginning.

Any screenshots/impressions on the RSS reader?

Does it usually get you the full article or just the headline?

Does it render the pages well?
scstraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2007, 05:56 AM   #63
templario
Connoisseur
templario began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
For me it works very well, it displays the full article and have links to each headline, i mean, the headlines are all together in the first page, and afterwards are the articles, depending of the rss there are as well some pictures.
templario is offline   Reply With Quote