Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #1426
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Yesterday there was an update for Mavericks.
I have to test more intensively. But so far, my fan was off all the time. Let's hope for the best...
That's great. I haven't updating yet. I keep postponing the update.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #1427
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
That's great. I haven't updating yet. I keep postponing the update.
The fan noise still comes and goes.
And the stuttering when streaming videos via iTunes still is there.
But it seems slightly better since the update...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #1428
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You don't think MS will do a Surface Mini?

BOb
I hope they will.
Rumors seem to have some substance, but nothing official yet from Microsoft?
My guess: If there will be a Surface "mini", we probably can expect it around May - 1 year after the initial release of Surface Pro Gen 1.

I'm definitely interested.
But mainly in a Pro "mini", not so much in an RT "mini".
And question will be, how bulky a Surface Pro "mini" will be.
I love my Surface Pros Gen1 and Gen 2. But can Microsoft build it less bulky? Or wouldn't a smaller tablet with the same power at least have the same bulk or even more so?
If it's the same bulk, a Pro "mini" probably would be a bit tiresome to hold.

But if I compare to Dell Latitude 10, the same bulk on an 8" version wouldn't be much of a problem.

Meaning:
If the Dell Venue 8 Pro would be similar to a smaller version of Dell Latitude 10, it would be powerful enough for my mobile needs. And ergonomically and aesthetically more than adequate.
But from the reviews I've seen about the Dell Venue, it seems a bit cheap and stripped down. In this case, I'd go for a maybe bulkier and heavier Surface "mini" with better specs and build quality.
But I'm not entirely sure, whether there will be a Surface "mini" and what to expect about weight and measurements.

And, as always: I don't want to wait too long. The Dell Venue 8 Pro in Germany can be delivered within 2 weeks...
But I'm not convinced yet, given the harsh reviews. Maybe I'll see it later on, when driving to German Saturn Market?

Last edited by mgmueller; 12-21-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #1429
mgmueller
Member Retired

Toshiba Encore

Just saw the Toshiba Encore (8" Windows 8 tablet, Intel Atom Z3740).
The 32GB version in Amazon Germany is € 299.
In German Saturn Market it was € 229.

You get exactly what you'd expect for less then € 300.
Definitely not for me.
It's surprisingly bulky. Well, it's probably explainable: How could they build it thinner than, let's say, the 10" Dell Latitude? Still: If you're used to iPad mini or Nexus 7, it feels "fat".
It looks and feels "plasticky". Reminds me of the lesser Samsung models.

Else it would be interesting enough.
8" is big enough. Certainly not for productivity. But for surfing and the usual stuff more than sufficient.

I'd wish for a (way) better build quality. Something in the class of iPad mini and the price range of roundabout € 500 to € 600.
But obviously, that's not the main market segment.
Most users probably compare to Nexus 7 or Kindle HD = € 300 units.
But whereas Google and Amazon easily can sponsor their hardware via content sales, Toshiba and the likes for Windows 8 tablets don't have that advantage.

So my hope lies on a Surface Pro "mini" or Dell Venue 8 Pro...
Old 12-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #1430
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I don't know that I would need Windows Pro and an 8inch device. What non appstore apps do you need on a device like that? Seems like it wouldn't be powerful enough to replace a laptop.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #1431
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I don't know that I would need Windows Pro and an 8inch device. What non appstore apps do you need on a device like that? Seems like it wouldn't be powerful enough to replace a laptop.

BOb
I only would use it as a secondary unit.
Some quick emails, but else not much business related stuff.
More or less the same, what I'm doing on Nexus 7 or Kindle HD or iPad mini now: Some casual games, some reading (newspapers, magazines) and the likes.

But I agree: 10" tablets still are mobile enough, there's rarely a situation where a tablet has to be smaller.
A friend of mine chooses his tablets, so he can take them in his inner suit pocket. First it was Samsung 1000 (or whatever has been the name of the first Samsung tablet in 2010), now it's iPad mini.
He loves to read on the plane or jot some quick presentations on it.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #1432
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I only would use it as a secondary unit.
Some quick emails, but else not much business related stuff.
More or less the same, what I'm doing on Nexus 7 or Kindle HD or iPad mini now: Some casual games, some reading (newspapers, magazines) and the likes.
I wouldn't personally want anything smaller than the current Surface Pro. The keyboard would be too small for me to use (that's the problem I had with the original netbook devices).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #1433
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I wouldn't personally want anything smaller than the current Surface Pro. The keyboard would be too small for me to use (that's the problem I had with the original netbook devices).
Anything 8 inches or under is probably mostly a consumption device... almost like a smart phone with an oversized screen. Big enough to do serious surfing, reading, etc on, but small enough to carry around all the time.

Given that, I think Windows RT only device would be fine.

Sort of like a phablet.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #1434
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You mean the physical keyboard (type cover, for example), not the onscreen keyboard?
There's a cool accessory http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...irelessadapter for the Surface touch/type covers.
With this wireless adapter, you can turn the covers into a bluetooth keyboard.
So one could take Surface Pro 10" and 8" on a trip and, if needed, use the type cover of the 10" version as a bluetooth keyboard for the 8" version.
Unfortunately, for whatever reason this adapter doesn't seem to be available outside of the US and I try to avoid ordering $ 60 units directly from the US (costs for shipment and tax are too high in relation to the buying value).
Old 12-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #1435
grndslm
Enthusiast
grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: none
mgmueller,

Speaking of 8" tablets, have you used a Galaxy Note 8.0?? I've looked at them a couple times in store and am considering buying one to add a case w/ built-in keyboard.... in order to replace my laptop.

I tried the new HP Chromebook 14, but I really thought that the device was too heavy for what it does. It's just so limited. These Chromebooks are interesting, but the truth is that an Android tablet is so much more functional. So add a case w/ keyboard, and ta-da -- an 8" laptop under 2 pounds. Or, under a kilo for you metric lovers.

Kinda sucks because the price seems to be higher right now than it was a couple months ago. That must mean it's REALLY good then...
grndslm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #1436
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
mgmueller,

Speaking of 8" tablets, have you used a Galaxy Note 8.0?? I've looked at them a couple times in store and am considering buying one to add a case w/ built-in keyboard.... in order to replace my laptop.

I tried the new HP Chromebook 14, but I really thought that the device was too heavy for what it does. It's just so limited. These Chromebooks are interesting, but the truth is that an Android tablet is so much more functional. So add a case w/ keyboard, and ta-da -- an 8" laptop under 2 pounds. Or, under a kilo for you metric lovers.

Kinda sucks because the price seems to be higher right now than it was a couple months ago. That must mean it's REALLY good then...
I've had a few Samsung units. 3 smart phones (nexus and 2 x Note) and 3 tablets.
Frankly, I don't understand their success in Germany.
Designwise, I find their hardware mediocre at best.
Galaxy Note 1 could have been a beauty. But they had to go for that plastic cover for the battery compartment.
And I find that true for almost all of their hardware. They rarely look the quality they're supposed to be...

Re. Chromebook:
I've had the Google Chromebook Pixel, probably still the flagship Chromebook, for about 3 months. Sold it about 2 months ago.
I rarely sell hardware. But in this case, it made sense. I did love it, but still I rarely used it.
A touchscreen unit with a fixed keyboard seems a bit awkward to me. Instead of slightly leaning over to touch the display, it's way more convenient to simply use the touchpad. All was working well, but I simply didn't find a meaningful usage pattern. To me, it was more of a design study, than a real tool.

Re. Android to replace a notebook:
Like most, I've started with iPad. I still find it a phantastic gadget, but nothing more than that. After a while I switched to Android. At least I have an open file system there and can manipulate my files.
But now, having Surface Pro, I can't imagine going back to Android for productivity tasks.
I still have a few Android tablets: Google Nexus 7, B&N Nook HD+, Kindle Fire HD 7" + 8.9" and so on. But I use them like my iPad mini: As mere gadgets.

But my Surface Pro is a "real" PC. I'll never miss out for any apps. Is there any task one can't solve on a full blown Windows PC? A friend of mine even is using steam on his Surface Pro 2 and plays Far Cry 3 and similar titles. So, even as a gaming platform, it can offer more.

That's why I'd like to have another Windows 8 tablet. 8" for increased mobility. Sometimes I simply want to travel without any luggage at all...
Old 12-23-2013, 03:13 AM   #1437
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Since I really like my Surface Pro 2 and Dell Latitude 10, I'm tempted to buy a 8" Windows 8 tablet.
Dell Venue 8 Pro seems the natural choice, as I'm not a fan of Lenovo and a bit skeptical about Toshiba and probably won't buy any Acer tablet.

But I'm not sure yet.
Based on http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/16/d...-8-pro-review/, it doesn't seem to have a Wacom pen.
Basically, I had hoped for an 8" version of Latitude 10.
But it seems less capable. No surprise, I guess, for a mere € 300.
Hmmmmmm....
No, no wacom pen. If it had been wacom, I'd have had one by now, even though they're still not available here. I should look at a closest Saturn just over the border, as Germany often has the devices before we do (not sure Leer has one though, maybe Emden, but that's a much longer drive because of a lack of a bridge...)

Edit: nope, looks like Oldenburg is the closest....

Quote:
You don't think MS will do a Surface Mini?

BOb
I am still secretly hoping we'll hear about a Surface Mini with a wacom pen between now and February. With the lack of 8" devices on the market here (only the Toshiba is available), we decided to postpone our purchase till the end of February (where they'll be a nice gift to each other for our anniversary )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #1438
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
No, no wacom pen. If it had been wacom, I'd have had one by now, even though they're still not available here...
The few reviews I found about the Dell Venue 8 Pro unfortunately all (really 100% of those!) massively criticise the pen. Unresponsive and not very precise, all state.
In this case, I'd probably buy it without a pen.
I could live with this, I'm not sure about jotting notes on an 8" unit anyway.
On the other hand, I find the pens on Surface Pro and Latitude 10 surprisingly useful...

Like you said: A Surface Pro 8" would be the safest choice.

So it seems I have to wait as well.

I'm still a bit tempted about the Toshiba Encore.
My closest Saturn Markt (unfortunately for my bank account) is within walking distance.
I'll be there this afternoon for a last few Christmas purchases and will take another look at it.
But a few days ago I simply found it a bit too bulky and simply not "stylish and cool".
If I don't get the "must have" reaction at first glance, that's usually not a good sign...

Last edited by mgmueller; 12-23-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #1439
mgmueller
Member Retired

Dell Venue 8 Pro

The 32GB version can be delivered until tomorrow:
http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/prod...enue%208%20pro

I'm tempted. Although 32GB for Windows 8 of course is extremely limited...
Old 12-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #1440
mgmueller
Member Retired

Asus VivoTab 8" Windows tablet

With Wacom stylus!
http://www.newgadgets.de/63574/asus-...blet-geleaked/

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test