Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #196
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
How about now?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #197
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
It's about half done - so should be up tonight, my time
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #198
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
It's about half done - so should be up tonight, my time
yay !!! it almost *is* tonight, your time !!!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #199
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Chapter 11:

Frantically, he got changed and tried to send a text back to HQ at the same time. Just as he was about to leave, his phone buzzed. He looked at the reply text:

“Sorry. Cannot do tea and cake right now. Please stick to training exercise”

He smacked his forehead, and quickly sent another text, oblivious to the socks currently climbing out of the window. The reply came back before he even had a chance to put the phone back in his pocket:

“Ignore previous text. Please have tea, cake and lie down. Your acorn information recording device idea suggests weather might be sunny and hot”

He shook his head at the short-sightedness of the people back in the office and ran down the stairs, pulling his jacket on as he did. He had, however, forgotten to tie his shoelaces, so took the last few stairs a lot more quickly - and painfully - than he’d intended. He picked himself, did his laces back up, and raced over to the teashop, failing to notice that Janey was holding the phone, looking shaken.

“Can I have a tea and some cake please?” he asked “and did you see where that squirrel went?”

Janey just looked at him.

“No. I didn’t see where the squirrel went. Quite frankly, I don’t care where that squirrel went. I have a lot more important things on my mind right now. My niece…” and she waved the phone.

He took the opportunity to jump in “But the squirrel is really important! Who knows what it might have seen with that acorn?!”

With a voice dripping with sarcasm she said “Maybe the squirrel stole my recipe”

He nodded excitedly, the sarcasm flowing around him without pause and without touching him in the slightest. “Depending on where the acorn has been, quite possibly! Look, don’t you see tha…” he stopped his sentence abruptly, mostly because Janey had taken the rolling pin he hadn’t noticed she was carrying and clonked him on the head with it.

“It’s for the best” she said “he’ll be fine when he comes round. Squirrels indeed” She shook her head sadly, then sat down, the full horror of what she’d been told sinking in.

From a nearby tree, two socks peered down. They knew what they had to do.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #200
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

that poor man. the incomprehension, the stairs, the rolling pin... i'm not sure which is the most hurtful.

good thing those socks are at large...
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #201
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
good thing those socks are at large...
Hugo and Lefty At Large.
That sounds like a title in of itself!
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #202
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
... next ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #203
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Chapter 12

Mr Kipling paused from looking at the screen to have some tea. Mr Nutkin followed, which was a shame, because if he’d waited a few minutes, he would have seen Mr Kipling turn puce as he drank the tea, and seen in slam the cup down in disgust. As it was, he had to endure the rather foul tasting tea, too. Mr Kipling stormed out of his office, looking for the man who made the drinks. On finding him he bellowed “You! What’s your role round here?”

The finance director looked a little bemused “I’m the finance director” he said

“Very good. Stick with it and don’t ever pretend to be the tea boy again. You. Cannot. Make. Tea.” Mr Kipling stabbed the air as he said those last words.

The finance director, knowing when not to argue, simply nodded, then shrugged eloquently as Mr Kipling’s back was turned.

Back in the office, Messrs Kipling and Nutkin drank some water. After a few minutes of staring at the screen in silence, Mr Kipling sighed.

“There is a problem. The right edge isn’t all there in places, and some of the lines are a bit blurry. It might make creating an accurate copy a little difficult.”

Mr Nutkin shook his head. “You don’t have to make it completely accurate, just very similar. Your branding and name will ensure it becomes successful, and so long as it doesn’t taste too different people will go for a name they already know rather than trek down to some obscure little village somewhere.”

Mr Kipling smiled.

—-

Meanwhile, out at sea, a small crew fretted on the deck of a rather nice, but now decidedly broken, sailing boat. The owner paced back and forth muttering to himself. As he paced past a chic, petite woman she heard him say something about having to start charging himself at this rate. He paused, and peered frantically around, scanning the ocean and - oddly - the sky. After a few moments, in which no boats or sea planes came to their rescue, he shook his head.

“There’s only one way you’re going to make it to the mainland…” he said, looking pointedly at the sea.

“I told you all at the start” said a voice from out of sight, “I was only doing this trip so long as I stayed dry. Sorry n all.”

“Very well”, said the woman, “if I must” and dived in.

—-

The yeti and his partner were now walking down the river, nearing the mouth. In the distance they noticed a splash by a boat that looked like it had anchored out at sea a way. As they walked down they realised that the splash had been made by a person, and they seemingly weren’t just going for a swim near the boat. They reached they river mouth at about the same time the swimmer did. Dusk was beginning to fall by now, an there was no-one else around.

The person got out of the water and waved frantically at them.

“‘Scusez moi, do you know where the tea shop is?” she asked.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #204
zelda_pinwheel

wait a minute, who are these new characters ? swimming woman and mysterious "must stay dry" person ???

(and i knew that finance director was worthless.)
Old 09-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #205
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
wait a minute, who are these new characters ? swimming woman and mysterious "must stay dry" person ???

(and i knew that finance director was worthless.)
Oooh, random people (you've worked out one of the three, I see ). Actually, they may not all be people...
Old 09-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #206
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Oooh, random people (you've worked out one of the three, I see ). Actually, they may not all be people...
hmm... might one of them be a sock ? (i can't think how it could have gotten out there, though, if it is...)
Old 09-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #207
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I was thinking Vera and VR ...... or perhaps Queen Zee and, er, Adrian??
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #208
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
hmm... might one of them be a sock ? (i can't think how it could have gotten out there, though, if it is...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I was thinking Vera and VR ...... or perhaps Queen Zee and, er, Adrian??
bgDeb's on the right track
Old 09-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #209
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Oh oh oh!! It must be Vera and VR --- cuz VR's been getting too many baths lately. That's why he would want to stay dry!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #210
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Possibly Zelda and VR then - I'm not sure that Vera speaks French?
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote