Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Question Question on connect book

Just thought I would give it a shot.... I want to spend my final bit of connect correct for a last book and it's called True Evil by Greg Iles......... I am just curious if anybody purchased this one and if so you could tell me how the font size comes out....... is Large Large. I want it but don't want it if it's going to be the smaller print as the others I purchased and are going to be harder for me to read....

The other three I bought that were small were:
The butchers Theatre
Private eyes
The Lighthouse... These on large were still hard to read....... now one I did purchase that was okay to read was Echol Park........ so Just thought these would help for a comparision if anyone has bought any of these and the one mentioned above... Hmmmmm, maybe we could keep listing somehow of the books and how they show up on the reader...... might be helpful for some of us around here.... then again might not be a good idea either.... just thinking out loud guys.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:50 AM   #2
Cogito
Reader
Cogito began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 500
Karen,
The only book on your list I purchased from Connect is the P.D. James. The font size of “The Lighthouse” is too small to read in S, and is just shy of newspaper font size in M. L doesn’t leave enough words on the page so I’ve been reading in M. The difficulty I have is the Reader requires more light than printed text, airport waiting rooms which are fine for reading magazines or printed books are problematic for me on the Sony.
Been reading the MR topics on booklights, but am disappointed a clip-on light is necessary for an electronic reader.
I’m sure I’ll stick it out, but has anyone returned a normally functioning Reader for a refund? Mine is less than a week old.
Craig
Cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2006, 05:42 PM   #3
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
J...now one I did purchase that was okay to read was Echol Park........
Now this is getting weird. I'm reading Echo Park now, which bought a couple of weeks ago, and I have the same trouble with the Large in horizontal still being too small. One size smaller than the Large in the books that came with the Reader and the first books I bought from Connect.

So, what' IS going on here? First case I've seen where same book differed in font size on different Readers.

Do you suppose it is a Reader defect?

Now what?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:45 PM   #4
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

hmmmmm, well it all could depend upon what we consider large as well. I didn't find Echo Parks font huge but readable enough, all the others are much smaller and of course the ones I convert are much larger than Echo park and I can read them set on medium. I think how we are defining them may be a problem as well, what is large for me might not be quite large enough for you??????
Old 12-27-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
hmmmmm, well it all could depend upon what we consider large as well. I didn't find Echo Parks font huge but readable enough, all the others are much smaller and of course the ones I convert are much larger than Echo park and I can read them set on medium. I think how we are defining them may be a problem as well, what is large for me might not be quite large enough for you??????
True enough. However, the books that came with the Reader, and the first ones I purchased, gave the Large in horizontal that made it just easy enough for me to read. All the others, inclding Echo Park, had the Large size one step down from the origionals.

In other words, what was 200 percent size in the first ones, became the same size as 150 percent in the ones I got later. Definitely too small to read comfortably.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2006, 10:22 AM   #6
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Well all I can say is I hope Sony works on this problem.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:23 PM   #7
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Quote:
Just thought I would give it a shot.... I want to spend my final bit of connect correct for a last book and it's called True Evil by Greg Iles......... I am just curious if anybody purchased this one and if so you could tell me how the font size comes out....... is Large Large. I want it but don't want it if it's going to be the smaller print as the others I purchased and are going to be harder for me to read....
While going through Mobileread.com withdrawals I decided to purchase and finalize my $50 credit with connect. I did purchase True Evil and this one will be very readible for me. I can read it with the font set at Medium...... so my last choice to spend my credit was the correct one..... So if you are wondering about the size of the font, for me anyways, this one is acceptable compared to the others I bought, (well first one was okay too) so there is no eyestrain.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:43 PM   #8
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
April, have you tried to send an email to Sony about it? I found their phone support very good, and other people have reported good responses to emails. Maybe they can explain the size differences in the books, or at least be made aware that it is bothersome to some people so they try to standardize.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:02 PM   #9
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

No, I haven't gone that route, I am just being vocal here at this point in time