Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
EricLandes
Connoisseur
EricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle PW, Kobo Aura HD, Galaxy Note 10.1
Question Embedding fonts in Mobi files

So, I picked up a free ebook off Amazon yesterday (this one) and loaded it up.

It has an embedded font. First one I've run across. (I've only had my Kindle a month...) I tried to convert it to figure out how it's done, but the file is in Topaz format and Calibre can't handle that.

My question is, how do I do that in a .MOBI file and have it appear on the Kindle? I'm basically familiar with HTML and XML (My day job has me in DITA all day long), but am not sure how to produce this effect in this format.

Thanks for any info!
EricLandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
You can't embed a font in a MOBI. You can use a named font, but if it isn't on your system (and it won't be on a Kindle) you get the default font. In general, MobiPocket advises against trying to set the font in a MOBI because that way the reader can chose the font they like. On the Kindle, you always get the same font for MOBIs.

It is possible to convert TOPAZ to another format (which always requires circumventing the DRM as the first step), see DarkReverser's Blog for more information. Monitor the latest comments for any recent updates. If you are interested in the TOPAZ format, see also The Topaz DRM Creator has a Blog!
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
[QUOTE=EricLandes;785951It has an embedded font. First one I've run across. (I've only had my Kindle a month...) I tried to convert it to figure out how it's done, but the file is in Topaz format and Calibre can't handle that.[/QUOTE]

Topaz format doesn't so much have an embedded font, as a collection of glyphs and instructions on how to position them on each page. It also has an OCRed version of the text for searching.

There are now tools to convert Topaz to SVG files (from the glyphs and positions) and also to XHTML files (from the OCRed text).

I don't think anyone has any tools to create Topaz files except Amazon.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:20 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLandes View Post
It has an embedded font. First one I've run across. (I've only had my Kindle a month...) I tried to convert it to figure out how it's done, but the file is in Topaz format and Calibre can't handle that.

My question is, how do I do that in a .MOBI file and have it appear on the Kindle? I'm basically familiar with HTML and XML (My day job has me in DITA all day long), but am not sure how to produce this effect in this format.

Thanks for any info!
You said it yourself. Your book is in Topaz format. It is not a Mobi file. Mobi does not support font embedding.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote