Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
RSS Feeds to Kindle

I have been reading a bit on getting RSS feeds to Kindle and am thoroughly confused. Questions:

1. What are my options for getting the Feeds on Kindle?

2. Any way it can be automated to deliver wirelessly? What is the cost?

3. I assume I need to use RSS Feeds that offer full content. Is that correct?

4. Which option is best?

Thanks.
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneaber View Post
I have been reading a bit on getting RSS feeds to Kindle and am thoroughly confused. Questions:

1. What are my options for getting the Feeds on Kindle?

2. Any way it can be automated to deliver wirelessly? What is the cost?

3. I assume I need to use RSS Feeds that offer full content. Is that correct?

4. Which option is best?

Thanks.
You can subscribe via amazon. There is a fee for each blog. (Of course they don't have EVERY RSS feed.... just selected blogs)

http://www.amazon.com/Blogs-Kindle-S...node=401358011

You can set up your feeds at feedbooks.... and either download them or have them emailed to your Kindle. You would have to pay the kindle Whispernet fee which is $.15 per MB rounded to the nearest MB per document. So, each send at a minimum would be $.15.

http://feedbooks.com/help/kindle

Which is best, is really up to you to decide.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 03:38 AM   #3
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You can set up your feeds at feedbooks.... and either download them or have them emailed to your Kindle. You would have to pay the kindle Whispernet fee which is $.15 per MB rounded to the nearest MB per document. So, each send at a minimum would be $.15.
Assuming you are in the US. Internationally it's USD0.99 (same rules about rounding).

Another option could be to have Calibre do it, but that assumes you have a computer on at the appropriate time.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:47 AM   #4
Athryn
Athryn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
You can also use the web browser to access google reader's mobile version.

It's kind of a pain to sign into google the first time but once you do, it's pretty easy.
Athryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
kalsctk
kalsctk began at the beginning.

Good question.
I did not want to use the USB cable to download feeds. Here is what I am test-driving for wireless and my comments to date as a US user.

Calibre -- popular as it has own subject area on this forum; multiple uses, not just RSS sender; many popular RSS feeds are available but I cannot create "recipes" on my own; use 5-way switch to navigate between articles in a feed; need to open calibre on your computer to send feeds; free and no charge from amazon. I don't know why there is no amazon charge for books or RSS feeds sent from calibre.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32543

Feedbooks -- was mentioned already but not the service that allows you to download a feed once and then update it from your kindle. no need to open a program on your computer or get charged by amazon.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24949

cannot use 5-way switch to navigate, use TOC or next page instead.

Kindlefeeder -- most user friendly for adding feeds to your list to send, IMHO. you need to log-in to send feeds but this can be done from any computer or I assume,the kindle. free to use but 15 cent charge from amazon. For a $20 annual fee, the web site says you can avoid the amazon charge and the need to log-in ... RSS feeds will be sent automatically as the user schedules.

http://kindlefeeder.com/

Another useful service is Instapaper, which allows you to save articles from the web and send them to your kindle. Too cumbersome for reading RSS feeds on a daily basis but good for longer web articles you want to read later. I have it set up to send me on Friday the articles I saved that week. The amazon 15 cent fee applies.

http://www.instapaper.com/

hope this helps
kalsctk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsctk View Post
Good question.

Calibre -- popular as it has own subject area on this forum; multiple uses, not just RSS sender; many popular RSS feeds are available but I cannot create "recipes" on my own; use 5-way switch to navigate between articles in a feed; need to open calibre on your computer to send feeds; free and no charge from amazon. I don't know why there is no amazon charge for books or RSS feeds sent from calibre.
There is no charge to send feeds or books from Cailbre?? Anyone know why?
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The charge is to email it to your Kindle. That will be incurred whether it is mailed from feedbooks or from calibre.

If you don't want to pay the fee... just connect to your computer with USB every day and let Calibre sync new articles to your reader. For that there is no fee... because calibre is free and it just access the freely available feeds.

BOb
Old 11-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Also keep in mind that they accumulate the fees and don't actually bill them until they get up to some amount... I think it is $3 or $5 or something like that.

BOb
Old 11-10-2009, 07:28 AM   #9
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Also keep in mind that they accumulate the fees and don't actually bill them until they get up to some amount... I think it is $3 or $5 or something like that.

BOb
No for me. They are happy to charge me the USD0.99 when I send a small file to my kindle. Maybe another thing that is different US and internationally.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
kalsctk
kalsctk began at the beginning.

oops, I was wrong. There is an amazon charge associated calibre.

That would seem to make the feedbooks method the least costly since you can update the RSS feed directly on the kindle, using wireless. no email. Its template even has a link to update the feed.

see post #9 at

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24949
kalsctk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
You can read rss feeds on your Kindle? I can't do that on my Aluratek, I guess I got what I paid for.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote