Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
King on the Kindle

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009...king-kindle-ur

Here's yet another reason to get a Kindle -- Stephen King has written a novel that you can ONLY get for the Kindle.

And how come Stephen King gets a hot pink Kindle? That's not fair. I want one too!

I thought his comment at the end of the article was interesting. He suggests that one of the reasons that digital music caught on was because it could be sold in pieces, one track at a time, rather than being sold as an entire album. He thinks ebooks may not catch on so much, at least in that way, because it's not possible to break a book down in the same way. You kind of need the whole book.

In fact, that might be a factor as well, when you consider ebook prices. Maybe people expect ebooks to be so cheap because they're used to getting music on iTunes for $0.99. But that's only the price of one track. In the case of a book they are buying the "whole album", and so it is going to cost more. I don't think digital music is that much cheaper than a CD -- a bit cheaper, but not a lot -- and I actually think in that respect ebooks may be similarly priced to their musical counterparts.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This is fabulous! I am a die hard King fan (He used to live a few miles away even). thanks!
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Im just annoyed that they announced the book before we got our hands on k2. Now we gots to sit here and salivate over the king book as well lol.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009...king-kindle-ur
In fact, that might be a factor as well, when you consider ebook prices. Maybe people expect ebooks to be so cheap because they're used to getting music on iTunes for $0.99. But that's only the price of one track. In the case of a book they are buying the "whole album", and so it is going to cost more. I don't think digital music is that much cheaper than a CD -- a bit cheaper, but not a lot -- and I actually think in that respect ebooks may be similarly priced to their musical counterparts.
That is something I had never thought of before. An excellent point.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I just read that this book is now available!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
It also looks like Amazon has gotten most of Stephen King's books converted to Kindle format as well (although It, one of my favorite horror movies, still isn't converted).

As far as the iPod Album analogy goes, I'd like to add that a Series of books by an author is analogous to an album with each book in the series being the equivalent of a single track. Now if we could just get Amazon and the Publishers to sell us an entire series at a steep discount, or a collection of an author's most popular work (kind of a 'best of' album) at a deep discount then that would be something.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote