Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2008, 04:15 AM   #1
larlissm
larlissm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
How to use Mobidedrm

Okay, this will be my last question I swear...

I have python installed, and have just downloaded a book from booksonboard in mobi format (I know, I know, .lit format is much easier to use, but it wasn't available). I also have the mobidedrm script saved as a text file in a folder on my desktop.

And that's where I am.

Is it possible that someone could walk me through the rest of the process step by step (and possible dumbed down ). All that I seem to find pertains to deDRMing mobi format for the kindle, which just ends up confusing me because I'm trying to do it for the sony reader.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, and just remember I'm not the most computer literate person in the world...Thanks guys.
larlissm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:26 AM   #2
Megatron-UK
Connoisseur
Megatron-UK began at the beginning.

To run python scripts you will need to open a command prompt (start -> run -> cmd.exe)
and type "python script.py" , where script.py is the script you want to run.

Change to the directory where your script is stored (say, C:\Scripts).

cd c:\scripts
python script.py

The script will run, and if it takes any additional parameters, will usually prompt your for them.

Last edited by Megatron-UK; 10-05-2008 at 04:30 AM.
Megatron-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2008, 04:58 AM   #3
larlissm

Okay, when I am on the python command prompt, I enter in the file name (I've actually saved it on the C drive in a file called scripts) and then when I try typing in what you've given my it says either no such file or directory...or it says bad syntax...I've posted some screenshots, and if you could perhaps tell (or show) me where I've gone wrong? or walk me through the steps from here? thanks so much...

Last edited by larlissm; 10-06-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm sorry, but we have to draw the line at providing detailed instructions on using DRM removal tools. Such discussions are beyond the scope of what's acceptable at MobileRead, sorry.

[Moderator]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:40 AM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sorry, but we have to draw the line at providing detailed instructions on using DRM removal tools. Such discussions are beyond the scope of what's acceptable at MobileRead, sorry.
We've been walking a very fine line with ConvertLIT recently, too. Honestly, I think we should be stricter about this. We'll point them in the right direction ("google for XYZ"), but that should be it. Not that I don't want to help these people--I do, I really do--but MobileRead should be more publisher-friendly (at least on the surface ).

Just to be clear, I hate DRM as much as the next guy.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2008, 06:44 AM   #6
Megatron-UK
Connoisseur
Megatron-UK began at the beginning.

Perhaps if larlissm could start another topic, with a more general request for help in running Python code on Windows....
Megatron-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:44 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"ConvertLIT" is in a slightly different category in that it can be used for perfectly legitimate format conversion of LIT files into OEB, and that, indeed, is what I use it for myself in converting LIT files from Baen into Mobi, since Baen's Mobi files aren't very good. "MobiDeDRM" has no other purpose than to remove DRM.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"ConvertLIT" is in a slightly different category in that it can be used for perfectly legitimate format conversion of LIT files into OEB...
But to perform this "perfectly legitimate format conversion", you need to break the LIT's DRM, correct?
Old 10-05-2008, 06:56 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You can use it for that purpose, but I buy LIT files from Baen which don't have DRM. I'm using it as a stage in the conversion process from LIT to MobiPocket - ConvertLIT to go from LIT to OEB, and MobiPocket Creator to go from OEB to MobiPocket.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #10
Valloric

Quote:
You can use it for that purpose, but I buy LIT files from Baen which don't have DRM. I'm using it as a stage in the conversion process from LIT to MobiPocket - ConvertLIT to go from LIT to OEB, and MobiPocket Creator to go from OEB to MobiPocket.
OK, point taken. It can be used legitimately. But the people here asking questions about ConvertLIT (and the answers we give them) have very little to do with this legal use, now do they? For some strange reason, what everybody wants to know is how to break LIT DRM; they show little concern for converting DRM-free LITs to OEB.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:17 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, you're right. People here in the Sony forum want to use it to remove DRM. They have tools like "Calibre" which can directly convert LIT to LRF. It's mainly people with Mobi devices who want to convert LIT to OEB as a prelude to using other tools for converting the OEB to Mobi.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:44 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To run a Python script under Windows....

1. go to http://www.python.org
2. download and install the latest version of Python
3. open a command prompt
4. scriptname.py options
5. done
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To run a Python script under Windows....

1. go to http://www.python.org
2. download and install the latest version of Python
3. open a command prompt
4. scriptname.py options
5. done
FYI: To do step 4 you would need to be in the directory where the python script is. Also, if a filename happens to be one or more of the options and the file isn't in the current directory you would have to pass in the path to it. The path could be relative or full. If any of your parameters/options has a space in it you need to surround it with quotes. Which is why i try to avoid putting spaces in what I consider a work folder.

One thing that would make this easier is to put the folder that the python script is in into your path. This could eliminate typing in paths... either a path to the script or a path to an option.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron-UK View Post
Perhaps if larlissm could start another topic, with a more general request for help in running Python code on Windows....
I suggest looking at How to make Igor's script work. Igor's kindlefix.py does not circumvent DRM, so it is ok to fully discuss, but using it does require getting Python working and issues such as putting filenames in quotes if they have spaces in them are generic to all Python scripts that act on ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #15
larlissm

thanks for the responses guys...I'm sorry, I didn't realize that I was breaking the rules here Again, sorry!