Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-21-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Fictionwise and the Kindle

Over the past few days we have been getting reports from members of MobileRead that Fictionwise has started blocking Kindle PIDs. I just checked my account, and it's happened to me, too.

If you have a Kindle registered at Fictionwise, you will need to log in to your account and request that Fictionwise Support remove or replace that PID before downloading and Kindlizing another Mobipocket ebook. You cannot do it yourself, unfortunately.

It's possible for Fictionwise to do this because all the Kindles have a PID that is slightly different from the other Mobipocket devices (they have an asterisk "*" as the eighth character of the PID). I bet this was a deliberate design choice on the part of Amazon/Mobipocket. I believe this because www.Mobipocket.com drops the asterisk from a PID. Most of the other Mobipocket retailers also drop the asterisk. Fictionwise was the only major ebook retailer that did not.

It looks to me like Amazon/Mobipocket is pressuring retailers to close the few remaining loopholes that let Kindle owners buy ebooks from anyone other that Amazon. However, I may be jumping to conclusions because only existing Kindle PIDs are disabled. If you remove the bad PID, you can reenter it and it will be accepted as valid.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
However, I may be jumping to conclusions because only existing Kindle PIDs are disabled. If you remove the bad PID, you can reenter it and it will be accepted as valid.
I was bitten by this problem, as well. My (completely unsubstantiated) thought was that with the "new encryption" that the FW support rep mentioned, they had to re-import the PIDs and the '*' was lost in translation, so to speak. That could explain why they aren't blocking re-entry of Kindle PIDs.

They promised 2 days ago to remove the bad PID from my account, but I'm still waiting.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
However, I may be jumping to conclusions because only existing Kindle PIDs are disabled. If you remove the bad PID, you can reenter it and it will be accepted as valid.
Of course you can always just deDrm the mobi books and then the Kindle PID isn't even an issue.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:38 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Over the past few days we have been getting reports from members of MobileRead that Fictionwise has started blocking Kindle PIDs. I just checked my account, and it's happened to me, too.
It's nothing to do with FictionWise - MobiPocket have updated the software on their DRM server, which Mobi (and many other eBook stores) use. There's a separate thread with an e-mail from FW explaining what happened.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
I had to re-download my purchased books at Books on Board. I thought it was a flake in my system which I was messing around with. Maybe it was this situation. I was able to download them again just fine.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Of course you can always just deDrm the mobi books and then the Kindle PID isn't even an issue.

BOb
Ditto. I just use my computer's PID to deDRM the files.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:23 AM   #7
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
That required creating/discovering the PID for my Windows VM so that I had a valid PID - Mac user here! When I downloaded the files with the Kindle PID (that FW/Mobi stripped the '*'), the deDRM tools didn't work - quite rightly.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's nothing to do with FictionWise - MobiPocket have updated the software on their DRM server, which Mobi (and many other eBook stores) use. There's a separate thread with an e-mail from FW explaining what happened.
Can you post a link please?

Thanks
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't have it to hand, I'm afraid, but it was in the last few days.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Can you post a link please?

Thanks
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...270#post254270

scroll down
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks Nate - post #29 in the thread is the relevant one.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks Nate - post #29 in the thread is the relevant one.
Ah... I thought you meant it was a general mailing or in their news letter.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote