Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 09-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Question regarding procedure . . .

This has been bothering me for a while, but I don't know if this is a valid peeve or if I'm just being a curmdgeon. Should books on the Kindle Unlimited program be counted as Free or a Deal? (Actually, it bothered me more when I wasn't signed up for KU so I'm not above serving my self interest, but I still think it is theoretically a valid point.)

I mean we ARE paying for those books at what is effectively a contractual price. The price a KU user pays for a book really depends on how many books he or she downloads a month, so maybe it's a deal, and maybe it isn't.

I do think KU is important enough that when a popular author joins the KU program, it should be announced . . . somewhere. But is Deals, Freebies, and Resources the best place for it?

I'm willing to go with the consensus, but I do wonder if we are diluting the value of "DF&R"
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
(speaking as a member and not a moderator) With a few exceptions, KU books really shouldn't be in this forum. The same rule should apply to Scribd, Oyster, etc.

One exception would be if a popular title is added to KU/Scribd/Oyster. I'm sure there are others.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Could add a "New to KU" thread as a sticky?
At least it will only take up one thread then.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Could add a "New to KU" thread as a sticky?
At least it will only take up one thread then.
I could get behind that.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Although, we have so many stickies that thy really need their own sub-forum. I'm not sure one more is a good idea.
Advert
Old 09-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #6
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
This has been bothering me for a while, but I don't know if this is a valid peeve or if I'm just being a curmdgeon. Should books on the Kindle Unlimited program be counted as Free or a Deal? (Actually, it bothered me more when I wasn't signed up for KU so I'm not above serving my self interest, but I still think it is theoretically a valid point.)

I mean we ARE paying for those books at what is effectively a contractual price. The price a KU user pays for a book really depends on how many books he or she downloads a month, so maybe it's a deal, and maybe it isn't.

I do think KU is important enough that when a popular author joins the KU program, it should be announced . . . somewhere. But is Deals, Freebies, and Resources the best place for it?

I'm willing to go with the consensus, but I do wonder if we are diluting the value of "DF&R"
Sometimes, KU books are made available free of charge to everyone, including non-subscribers to the KU program. IMO, those are the only KU books that belong in the Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion) threads.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Should books on the Kindle Unlimited program be counted as Free or a Deal?
No, they shouldn't IMO. However, I have never seen such a thing posted.

There are freebies/deals posted which are also part of KU, but at the time of being posted have been marked down for all readers. Those books eventually go back up in price (often only free for a day or two) so if someone doesn't follow the deals area daily and were to check a freebie posted say a week ago then it's no longer likely to be free for everyone anymore.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #8
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
No, they shouldn't IMO. However, I have never seen such a thing posted.

There are freebies/deals posted which are also part of KU, but at the time of being posted have been marked down for all readers. Those books eventually go back up in price (often only free for a day or two) so if someone doesn't follow the deals area daily and were to check a freebie posted say a week ago then it's no longer likely to be free for everyone anymore.
I've seen them, and it's pretty irritating if you aren't a subscriber. When you are, not so much! You certainly don't notice as much!

Maybe we don't need a hard and fast rule so much as consensus as to the ettiquette of the situation.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 09-03-2015 at 11:43 AM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Since one has to pays to rent books, that is not a deal for everyone. To me, deals and freebies only apply to sales not rentals.
Now yes, if they are on sale to the buyer, then it is a deal.

Note, free days and countdown deals are the reasons I don't subscribe to KU. If I want a book that is available in KU, I just wait till it goes on special. Then there is no hurry to read it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I've seen them, and it's pretty irritating if you aren't a subscriber.
It certainly would be. I'm not a KU subscriber, but even if I was I wouldn't consider something that can be read free with KU to be a "deal".

You're sure it wasn't something that had been free and and subsequently gone back up in price?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved to FEEDBACK FORUM, since this is not a deal or freebie, but rather where one should post and what the criteria should be regarding posting on Mobileread, with respect to KUs.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-03-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote