Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #16
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklynds View Post
Just want to say thanks! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear when I logged into the forums for the first time in a long time. A piece of new hardware coming out! I love new tech. It's a terrible addiction that follows me through all my hobbies. All I can do now is start hoping it is a pearl screen eink reader that reads epubs and costs the same or less than a kindle. If so, Bingo!

Thanks AnemicOak +Karma
Historically, anything that "costs less than a Kindle" will hold that position for about two days, then Amazon undercuts them.

I suspect Barnes and Noble has pretty well given up the low price game and they know they're always going to be about $10 more than Amazon. They just don't have the resources to compete with Amazon in that arena. The nook color was an awesome move for them ... coming out with something that Amazon wasn't (yet) providing at all. It'll be interesting to see what they announce at the end of this month.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
So let me see if I got the info right.

1. Pearl E-Ink screens are the best
and
2. Sony and Kindle are the only ones with them.

Are there any upcoming releases planned that will have other companies utilizing the pearl screens? I am not in a hurry if there is something in the near future that looks good.

As I have said I do like my Sony and I might buy another but I do like the way the kindle runs as well. I think if the kindle would run my epubs it would be a no brainer but as it is I am open to options. The touch screen is okay but not a big deal to me so I don't mind getting a unit without this feature.

Thanks everyone for all your input thus far.
FWIW, conversion of your ePubs to Mobi is trivial, so I wouldn't let that hold you back. In fact, whatever you finally decide, you should liberate your existing books from their DRM before you purchase any new eReader to ensure you don't lose access. If you buy another Sony, I would hope and assume that they wouldn't disable them. But any other brand of reader could be an issue, regardless of format. (Your DRM ePubs are not readable on the upcoming B&N, for example, unless you bought them from B&N originally.) It's DRM that is the issue, not format.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Again thanks to everyone for all the advice. Lots of good stuff coming my way.

1.My library is epub and has been liberated from its DRM roots. First thing I do after purchase. I have been using Calibre for years now with a couple other programs trialed out along the way. Library conversion is not a factor. I will do it without blinking if it is needed.

2.The Sony is good but not that good. I can get the KSO for $114 or the Sony for $249! Touch screen isn't worth half that price difference.

3.Screen is the most important thing to me. After reading on a Kindle3 I can't look at my Sony the same. It looks muddy compared. So if there is a chance B&N will bring out a pearl screened ereader with a price tag around $150 it pretty much checks all the boxes for me.

That being said I am still open to any eink device that may be coming out. My trusty Sony works great still so I am not in any hurry.
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #19
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would say wait to see what BN announces at the end of the month. After that, go with your gut. The Sony 350 Costs about $129 right now and has the Pearl Screen that you like. It is closer to the Kindle in price but it is a five inch screen. The plus is that you don't have to convert anything and you know that Sony makes a good product.

The Kindle is available for $114 if you are OK with having ads on your screen saver and at the bottom of your home page. It does not have the touchscreen.

If you like the touchscreen and are ok with a smaller screen size then the 350 is probably the way to go. If you want a 6 inch screen and feel that $250 is too much then the Kindle is the way to go.

Keep in mind that you can buy a Kindle and return it in 30 days for a full refund. You might want to take one for a test drive.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #20
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Again thanks to everyone for all the advice. Lots of good stuff coming my way.

1.My library is epub and has been liberated from its DRM roots. First thing I do after purchase. I have been using Calibre for years now with a couple other programs trialed out along the way. Library conversion is not a factor. I will do it without blinking if it is needed.
Ah, good on you. :

Quote:
3.Screen is the most important thing to me. After reading on a Kindle3 I can't look at my Sony the same. It looks muddy compared. So if there is a chance B&N will bring out a pearl screened ereader with a price tag around $150 it pretty much checks all the boxes for me.
Weight, battery and NOT having touchscreen are the other things for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Keep in mind that you can buy a Kindle and return it in 30 days for a full refund. You might want to take one for a test drive.
Very good point. Trying the Kindle for long enough to make an intelligent and informed decision is easy, and free.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #21
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:

Make certain you were looking at the 650 and not the 600. The 600 has a muddy screen. The 350/650 screens are identical to the Kindle 3.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #22
mklynds
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Make certain you were looking at the 650 and not the 600. The 600 has a muddy screen. The 350/650 screens are identical to the Kindle 3.
That is what I mean by statement. I own the 600. It has been great but after reading on a family members Pearl Screened Kindle I can barely stand reading on my Sony PRS-600.

That was the driving factor into deciding to pick up a new reader. I love my Sony but why on earth would I pay $100+ just for touch screen? I eagerly await the B&N announcement otherwise I think it is going to be a Kindle 3 for me.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #23
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
SiPix vs E Ink

Quote:
[...] One more question. I have just been reading about the SiPix screens. How do they compare to the pearl screens?
Here's a comparison of SiPix vs E Ink:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...gies-compared/

Their bottom line is that SiPix compares unfavorably to E Ink Vizplex, let alone the newer E Ink Pearl; SiPix displays have darker backgrounds and less sharp text.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #24
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
1. The best screen for readng books, only, seems to be the Pearl E-ink screen. It comes out ahead in most reviews.

2. There's no new screen technology released, in regards to E-ink, in 2011 according to the company.

3. For multiple uses, there's alot of alternatives that there are very divided opinions about. The Pixel Qi screen used in Notion Inks adam for example, allows colors and video playback, with a relatively small trade off in the quality when reading e-books. It's not what I'd go for though as I really want the best book screen possible.

4. In terms of page refresh speed, the Sony and Kindle are really a big improvement over alot of devices using e-ink.

Hope this was helpful
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #25
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
Nope....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrimonus View Post
Doesn't the touch screen get dirty from the natural hand oils produced by pretty much every single human on the planet to varying degrees? I would think that would get annoying after a while.
Not in my experience at all. The page turns require so little effort and next to 'zero' contact with the screen. It also appears to me that the screen itself is very resistant to fingerprints; whatever properties it has with regard to that I don't know.

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Well, Kobo just surprised us with a brand new ereader. It's a 6" Pearl touchscreen for $129. I pretty much expect B&N will be announcing a similar ereader tomorrow.

Stay tuned. You walked back in at the right time.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #27
mklynds

No kidding. As it would be a pain in the neck to get a Nook it is going to be a Kobo Touch for sure. I can't believe that just dropped out of no where. Going to be preordering one as long as Kindle doesn't come out with a crazy price drop this week.

Tags
best screen, reader screen