Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
riverteeth
Enthusiast
riverteeth began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Kidle PDF highlights and notes?

I'm thinking of getting a kindle, but I have a question about taking notes in PDF documents.

If I highlight and or leave notes in a PDF document on my Kindle, where do those notes "live"? In the document itself or in some database? Is there a way to sync these annotated PDFs with the versions on my computer, or would I only be able to view my notes on my computer from the Kindle app?

Thanks in advance!
riverteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
OK, I just checked.... in the Kindle's "Documents" folder, there's a .txt file called "My Clippings" that keeps a running record of all bookmarks, highlights, and annotations.

Does that help?
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
riverteeth
Enthusiast

Thanks! So if I makes some notes in a PDF on my Kindle, then sync that document back to my computer, my notes won't be visible on my computer (they only exist on the device). Is that correct?
Old 04-10-2011, 03:29 AM   #4
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I'm not sure if it works for all Kindle devices, but I've seen some threads discussing a "Fetch Annotations" feature for Calibre that (at the time that the threads that I've read were posted) works for the Kindle 2.

I have heard that Sony e-readers handle PDF's better than Kindle, and I ran across a thread that was giving some very positive buzz regarding EnTOURage's PDF annotation capabilities. I've been told that you can "export" your annotations from those devices, but I'm not entirely certain what that means.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:08 AM   #5
riverteeth
Enthusiast

Yeah, thanks! I AM interested in the Sony Reader, especially the 950, but they're hard to find here in Taiwan. I'd love to play with both it and the Kindle before buying. I don't know a single person here in Taiwan with either device!

I was also directed to the Entourage Edge in another post, but it seems most people think the company is in trouble. Plus, the device is like 3 pounds... That's only a little lighter than my laptop!
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 05:20 AM   #6
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
OK, I just checked.... in the Kindle's "Documents" folder, there's a .txt file called "My Clippings" that keeps a running record of all bookmarks, highlights, and annotations.

Does that help?
AFAIK, the annotations/location data are actually placed in the 'mpb' file. The My Clippings file is just available for convenience.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
physics
Enthusiast
physics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Hi riverteeth-
I don't know if you're looking at a dx or a K3, but you can't do highlights or notes on a dx yet. So if you want to take notes, you have to go with the one with the smaller screen.
physics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
AFAIK, the annotations/location data are actually placed in the 'mpb' file. The My Clippings file is just available for convenience.
For PDF, the files that save reading position and annotations have extension '.pdr'. Short of reverse-engineering the format, My Clippings is the only way to view/re-use the annotations without a Kindle. I wouldn't consider My Clippings particularly convenient, but at least there is a way to do it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote