Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Exclusive: Amazon Kindle 2 official images + price + release date

Update 3: Now ready for preorder: here

Update 2: Accessories images: posted here

Update: Hi-res images: posted here

Put on your gloves... it's time to rumble! We are happy to present to you the first official photos of the Kindle 2. Yes, we are now pretty much absolutely sure that this is what Amazon is going to present to the world next Monday.

And here is another news for you: The Kindle 2 costs you $359 USD and is going to be available for sale on February 24th, 2009 (edit: unconfirmed, that is).

Related: Amazon Kindle 2.0 to be launched on Feb 9th?, Amazon Kindle 2.0 rumors - price increase
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle2_01.jpg
Views:	16886
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	22750   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle2_02.jpg
Views:	21737
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	22751   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle2_03.jpg
Views:	18908
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	22752   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle2_04.jpg
Views:	20122
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	22753   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle2_05.jpg
Views:	30359
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	22754   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle2_06.jpg
Views:	19376
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	22755   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle2_07.jpg
Views:	18047
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	22756   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle2_08.jpg
Views:	16446
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	22757   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle2_09.jpg
Views:	16285
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	22758   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle2_10.jpg
Views:	16194
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	22759  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
it seems much nicer than the previous pics
Thanks for the news
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Interesting. I wish they had an image of the case and how it attaches.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I notice they changed the progress bar. They show a percent read and the last location now. It looks like the wireless button is on the top now, too, which is an improvement IMO.

Last edited by Alisa; 02-06-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Looks much more sexy than the Kindle 1. The little LCD selector disappeared, I guess that they'll use the joystick now + a faster controller (Epson) ?
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I'll tweet my impressions: http://twitter.com/Hadrien
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Much better looks. Now if it were available in Canada.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
TwiSteDCBloSsoM
Enthusiast
TwiSteDCBloSsoM doesn't litterTwiSteDCBloSsoM doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Suuuure... after I get a Sony 505.. THEN they make a Kindle that is thin like the 505... if this had been the original Kindle then I would own a Kindle and not the 505...

I might have to save up to have one anyway.. though I'm going for another 505 so my mother can have on. She has currently hijacked my 505 and I haven't touched it for a week >.> I miss my books..
TwiSteDCBloSsoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccce!

If only the price wasn't so prohibitive.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
It's ok. I'm not going to run out and purchase a new one based on these photos. I still love my original Kindles.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
What is the size of the screen? Still 6"? The screen looks very small compared to the size of the whole unit.

Last edited by Faenad; 02-06-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #12
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Is it just me or is the Kindle 2 considerably thinner than its predecessor?
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #13
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
thinner yes, Larger! yes... UGH thats my gripe with the kindle. and it seems its dimensions are larger now.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #14
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Interesting. I wish they had an image of the case and how it attaches.
There are not signs of a fixation system on the back ; and a side-attached cover like the Sony does not seem likely seeing as the edge are even thinner.

If the screen is still a 6", seeing how thin and comparatively large it is, I guess they will only ship it with a sleeve case.

Quote:
thinner yes, Larger! yes... UGH thats my gripe with the kindle. and it seems its dimensions are larger now.
Either that, or the pencil in the third picture is a giant pencil. My PRS-505 is also of the same height than a regular pencil, but the screen is comparatively bigger. I guess that's the screen is still 6" with a bigger unit size and some giant pencil from Amazon marketing dpt

Last edited by Faenad; 02-06-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #15
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
The thinness does look neat. But unless there's a large market for used Kindle-1's, I'll stick with what I have. Now, if I could resell the original for $300, I might switch!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote