Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
mnj
mnj began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question [?] added in Kindle

I have some books I have downloaded in mobi format and added to Calibre. I have then copied the books to a basic (not touch-screen) Kindle.

The books look fine in the viewer built into Calibre but when I open the books in the Kindle there are many [?] (squares with a question mark inside) and if I open them in FBReader there are many [] (empty squares).

I think it is mostly where there could be quotation marks - but they are not there in the viewer - and I am not completely sure that the squares are at the exact same places in the Kindle and the FBReader.

What can be wrong and what can I do to fix it ?
mnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Classic missing character (in the font set).
This can be aggravated by not have a code page declared in the source document (and Calibre guessed wrong). Try forcing the CP in the Conversions 'look and feel' screen
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
mnj

Thanks for answering.
Please forgive me for asking simple questions:

Conversions where ?
I cannot see any "look and feel" screen when I press the meny button on the Kindle.

I DID do a conversion from the "original" mobi book to an epub book - but it was the mobi I uploaded t the Kindle and both the mobi and the epub looks OK in the Calibre viewer.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This is a Calibre forum.
Conversions L&F is in Calibre

You need to set a CP and convert from the original SOURCE again
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
he began with pirated? mobi files & does not have the original source, I guess

"some books I have downloaded in mobi format and added to Calibre"
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #6
mnj

Thanks for he answers

Most likely pirated - at least downloaded for free.

So - since I do not have an original without the [] I cannot fix it to read it on a Kindle ?

With any luck it will work on a Nook which I plan to buy - it already looks OK on the Kobo reader in my Android phone.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
you need the book to be NOT in mobi format in order to easily edit it.
if you have it in epub you could look for the character that is not working, and search/find/replace it for one that does work, after conversion. it's a bit trial & error until to get the hang of it.
you might spot it with your current file IF you convert that to back epub with calibre & then load it into sigil for editing, but if the damage is already done you need a better quality source.

switch to nook & all your mobi problems will go away

meanwhile you test by loading .epub into (free) adobe Digital Editions on PC - if it looks OK there AND looks ok in calibre viewer, THEN it will probably be OK on Nook also

Last edited by cybmole; 10-18-2012 at 06:09 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
mnj

Thanks - I will play a bit around with that. I can test the Adobe Digital when I get back home I got it on an old PC. On my laptop I am using Ubuntu Linux and I think that I cannot get the Adobe Digital for that.