Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
clewley
clewley began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Cybook Gen3

I bought a Cybook Gen3 and within a few months of careful reading and handling, the cybook screen became all inky and unreadable. I sent it back for repair. Within a few day of getting it back it broke down again into a dirty inky color showing through the screen. I have now thrown it into the garbage can. I suggest you buy an e-book reader from a more established company.
Derek
clewley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Hum... What are the odds of the same thing happen twice to a person? Where to you usually keep the Cybook? Somewhere hot? Exposed to the sun? Bundled with other objects that might scratch it?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Hum... What are the odds of the same thing happen twice to a person? Where to you usually keep the Cybook? Somewhere hot? Exposed to the sun? Bundled with other objects that might scratch it?
I read it as that they did not fix the problem since it was intermittent and just sent the Cybook back that they thought was working. That has happened for me with other electronic products.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
if this has happened to you with multiple electronics, perhaps the problem is that you are storing your electronics in a hot environment or by something very magnetic... or as Over mentioned, perhaps in the sun. i've only had electronics turn black when they've been in the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I read it as that they did not fix the problem since it was intermittent and just sent the Cybook back that they thought was working. That has happened for me with other electronic products.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:52 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm afraid you're going to struggle to find a "more established company". Bookeen have been in the eBook reader business for longer than virtually anyone else - certainly far longer than Sony, Amazon, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:16 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
if this has happened to you with multiple electronics, perhaps the problem is that you are storing your electronics in a hot environment or by something very magnetic... or as Over mentioned, perhaps in the sun. i've only had electronics turn black when they've been in the sun.
What have happens is that you leave for example a video tape recorder for service and you get it back without the problem being fixed since it was an intermittent problem.

But actually I think I broke two DVD players of the same model by placing them above a VCR. I think it got to hot.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:17 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid you're going to struggle to find a "more established company". Bookeen have been in the eBook reader business for longer than virtually anyone else - certainly far longer than Sony, Amazon, etc.
Concerning service and support both Sony and Amazon is more established.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
HARRY, I INADVERTENTLY DID AN EDIT ON YOUR POST. I MEANT TO ADD MY COMMENTS USING 'QUOTE.' I APOLOGIZE FOR MY MISTAKE AND ESPECIALLY IF i ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ANY OF YOUR COMMENTS.

Here was my question to you:
Curious, Harry: you state that Bookeen has "been in the ebook reader business for longer....than Sony." Did the Gen1 (I may have the name incorrect, but I mean the largish Cybook that ran under Windows, I beleive, and was capable of running that great software program ebook) predate Sony's first entrance into e-ink technology?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I recall correctly, the original CyBook (an LCD device running Windows CE3) came out in 1998 or 1999, so it predates the 2006 release of the Sony PRS-500 by some considerable margin. I still have my original CyBook.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
If I recall correctly, the original CyBook (an LCD device running Windows CE3) came out in 1998 or 1999, so it predates the 2006 release of the Sony PRS-500 by some considerable margin. I still have my original CyBook.
I'm talking about the very firste-ink device ever and released under Sony's name...and released in Japan only. I can't remember the name of that unit. The PRS-500 was Sony's second e-ink reader.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Concerning service and support both Sony and Amazon is more established.
Yes, they both have track records. Amazon has always been great for me. Sony has always been plain awful, and I'll never buy another Sony product.

Haven't had to avail myself of Bookeen service yet, but am happy with my Cybook.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm talking about the very firste-ink device ever and released under Sony's name...and released in Japan only. I can't remember the name of that unit. The PRS-500 was Sony's second e-ink reader.

Don
The Librie maybe? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Librie There's not date about when it was released.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:07 AM   #13
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
whenever i look into user reviews of cameras and other electronics, i always read that sony support is pretty bad... i count myself fortunate that i haven't had to find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Yes, they both have track records. Amazon has always been great for me. Sony has always been plain awful, and I'll never buy another Sony product.

Haven't had to avail myself of Bookeen service yet, but am happy with my Cybook.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:08 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The Librie was released around about April 2004.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:10 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
whenever i look into user reviews of cameras and other electronics, i always read that sony support is pretty bad... i count myself fortunate that i haven't had to find out
The one occasion that I've needed support from Sony, they were absolutely superb. The backlight failed on my Sony Vaio notebook. I phoned up Sony's tech support, and spoke to an extremely knowledgeable lady. They sent a courier with a box to put the machine in on Monday morning. First thing Wednesday morning there was a knock on my door and the machine was back - fixed! Needless to say I was EXTREMELY impressed, which is why I've bought another two Vaio notebooks since then.