Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 03:19 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
remove all images ?

is there an option anywhere to strip all images from epub, mobi....

the only place I can find a no images option is in PDF input options.

if I have some other ebook format, which has unwanted images , how can I auto-strip them?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
If you want to convert the ebook, (ab-)use Calibre's header/footer removal option.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:50 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't follow -

1. what does remove header / footer have to do with remove images. Are you saying there is some regex expression whcih I can insert into the remove header line that will actually remove images & not headers ? can you give an example please

2. my main question was can I remove images from anything other than PDF format
e.g. I have a book in epub, lit, mobi whatever, it contains text ( which I want) and pictures ( which I don't want) . can I strip out the pictures
Old 10-18-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Have a look at how the images are embedded into the ebook. Write a regex that removes the embedding tags. All done. Who said you could only remove headers and footers?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Have a look at how the images are embedded into the ebook. ?
I hate having to look through a book's source code before I've read it

I was hoping that all books did it the same way :-(
e.g. via IMG tags ?

how many ways are there to embed an image ?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:25 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard

Well, most (?) of the ebook formats, at least to my knowledge, use some form of (X)HTML for contents, so you'd probably see img- tags. Still, if I were you, I'd check at least a few of the books I'd want to process to see how embedding is done.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I don't follow -
1. what does remove header / footer have to do with remove images.
"Remove header/footer" has nothing to do with actually removing headers and footers Those options simply provide two convenient places where you can add a regex to remove something within the document that matches the regex. Anything that gets matched gets removed and it doesn't matter in which of the two places you put the regex. If you write a regex that matches a header, and put it in the remove footer box, it will remove the header. If you make it match my name, it will remove my name from the text. If you make it match "the" it will remove the word "the" wherever it is found, etc. If you make it match a link to an image, it will remove that link. (I have no idea if it will actually remove the image from the file, but it will make the link disappear, so you will no longer see the image.)
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

thanks - I thought that was how it worked; but is there not a danger that if you remove the IMG tags but not the bits & bytes which make up the image, then the reader program will attempt to render the image, or the image hyper link as a text stream ?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
thanks - I thought that was how it worked; but is there not a danger that if you remove the IMG tags but not the bits & bytes which make up the image, then the reader program will attempt to render the image, or the image hyper link as a text stream ?
Img tags refer to the URI (usually a file name in a standalone book )
The image is still in the file, just never called upon to render.
OTOH, if tou removed the Image FILE and left the URI, you keep the place holder and get the "Broken Image" symbol, where it was.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Img tags refer to the URI (usually a file name in a standalone book )
The image is still in the file, just never called upon to render.
OTOH, if tou removed the Image FILE and left the URI, you keep the place holder and get the "Broken Image" symbol, where it was.
Do you know if a conversion EPUB->EPUB, etc. would remove excess image files if there are no references to them in the text?
Old 10-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Do you know if a conversion EPUB->EPUB, etc. would remove excess image files if there are no references to them in the text?
I know the reverse does not happen.

There are still broken links after conversion.

Actually, I find that a "feature". I can go back repair the error
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I just tested, it does.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I just tested, it does.
Thanks.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:14 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

so , assuming that it is all pairings of IMG tags need to be removed, what would be the regex syntax please.

they occur in pairs either side of the image URL, don't they ?
Old 10-19-2010, 04:47 AM   #15
Manichean
Wizard

Go read this. After that, go read the source of some of your ebooks to see how img- tags work. If, after you've done those two things, you still don't know what to do, come here and ask again.