Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Nook 1st Gen
Smile Can someone compare fonts for me?

I recently purchased a Nook because of the extra extra large font (I have limited vision) and I do like it.

My husband has become enamored with it and is thinking of getting one, but not sure about the Nook.

I just read that the newest Kindle has 8 available font sizes. I can't seem to find any documentation telling me the exact font sizes.

Is there anyone out there that could tell me the difference between the extra extra large font on the Nook and the largest font available on the new Kindle???

Marie
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
Questions about font size is what brought me to mobileread.
The comparison charts may list the number of fonts, and number of sizes but rarely the sizes....

This image seems to be the new 8 sizes for the kindle, and kindle dx

My reader the jetbook lite had no mention (at time of purchase) of what the six font sizes were but the device lists them as; 12, 16, 18, 20, 24, 32

I can usually read at the 24 pt size, but like having the availability of the 32 pt size for lower light, reading while walking using the auto page turn........
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Thanks! That was the page I found but has no mention of actual font sizing.

I looked thru my Nook booklet and it doesn't mention size at all. Guess I will have to try and find a store that has them in stock and just bring my Nook with me and compare

Marie
Old 09-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Marie--
Be aware that different books can display different size fonts for each size--depending on how the publishers set the book up. I have one book on my nook that I need to set the font to "large" in order to read comfortably. Most books, I set at "small"--and bump it up to medium when I'm tired.

If the books don't have DRM, you should be able to change the default font size in Calibre. I haven't really experimented with this yet--but there are settings to make the font size bigger or smaller when converting.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
Debi
Connoisseur
Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Ipad Mini 2, Ipad Air 2
Hi tiniree,

I have a vision problem also and faced the sames problem when I started looking for a reader. I settled on the Sony 900 which has six font sizes. I use the XL and the XXL and very occasionally the L. I recently purchased a 600 as a backup.

I realize you didn't ask about Sony in you post, so disregard this reply if you're not interested in a Sony reader.

I took pictures of the text in XL (portrait and landscape) to show the difference. With this, you're could almost consider it an extra or 7th font size.

I also took a picture of the same text on both readers so you could see the difference the extra inch makes on the 900...especially on the larger settings. The first one is XL and the second is XXL.

I hope this helps and my apologies for my photography skills.

Debi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2816.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	765.4 KB
ID:	57953   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2818.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	777.7 KB
ID:	57954   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2819.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	747.8 KB
ID:	57955  
Debi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
tiniree
Zealot

Wow! Thank you so much. I think I may have to look at the Sony also.

Marie
Old 09-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
For the six Kindle 1 font sizes, see Font Sizes. Perhaps someone with a Kindle 3 can post similar screenshots of the three largest K3 font sizes. To make a screenshot on the K3 press ALT+Shift+G (saves a .GIF in the Kindle document directory), see Kindle 3 Keyboard Shortcuts et al.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Here are the Kindle 3 sizes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k3font1.gif
Views:	374
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	57956   Click image for larger version

Name:	k3font2.gif
Views:	314
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	57957   Click image for larger version