Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: If You Could Wipe Out One Animal Species What Would It Be?
Sharks 2 0.97%
Snakes 7 3.40%
Spiders 6 2.91%
Mosquitos 38 18.45%
Wasps/Bees 1 0.49%
Stingy underwater things like Jelly Fish 2 0.97%
Rats 3 1.46%
Cockroaches (or other insects, please specify) 16 7.77%
Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus 1 0.49%
The blue one next to the fish. 7 3.40%
tch. SHUMS !!! obviously. sharks are like little cuddly kittens next to shums. 118 57.28%
Grumman A-10 Warthogs 2 0.97%
Bundaberg Rum 3 1.46%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
If You Could Wipe Out One Animal Species...

I don't like Sharks, hate them in fact, and if I could have one animal that didnt exist on this planet, it would be the shark.

So what about you? Which animal would it make you happy to see dissapear? Which animal makes you feel creepy all over and terrified?
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Well, personally, although I wouldn't go so far as to say I would wipe them out, I could quite happily live in a world without dogs.

They serve no real purpose other than to be surrogate children for people who really can't believe that other people do not see the fun in having a smelly flea ridden mutt stick its nose in inappropriate places and slobber all over you ("Oh, isn't he cute, he must like you" - ARRRGGGHHH).

OK, maybe it's actually dog-owners I object to?

Runs away and hides deeeeep underground to avoid the wrath of the multitude of dog owners on MR
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
None, they are all beautiful creatures!

In their own ways.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Well, personally, although I wouldn't go so far as to say I would wipe them out, I could quite happily live in a world without dogs.

They serve no real purpose other than to be surrogate children for people who really can't believe that other people do not see the fun in having a smelly flea ridden mutt stick its nose in inappropriate places and slobber all over you ("Oh, isn't he cute, he must like you" - ARRRGGGHHH).

OK, maybe it's actually dog-owners I object to?

Runs away and hides deeeeep underground to avoid the wrath of the multitude of dog owners on MR
Sir, a dog is man's best friend, and the bravest of companions. I would no more put a dog on this list than I would my own sainted mother *said in a late Victorian Era accent*

Last edited by Moejoe; 07-07-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
@Bilbo
you and I should go for a talk. Outside. At night. In the company of a dozen hungry, feral, cute American Cocker Spaniels- they would show you!

kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Sir, a dog is man's best friend,
...outside of a book. inside of a book, it's too dark to... wait a minute, that's not how it goes...

hm, i'm torn. much as i loathe spiders and wish never ever to encounter them in any capacity nor at any distance, i must nonetheless concede that they contribute usefully to controlling the population of nasty flies (at the expense of other, more easily-appreciated insects, like butterflies). i can't stand to have them in my house but i never kill them, i just catch them and put them outside.

and i feel that way about pretty much all creatures ; even if i don't like them, they have (and deserve) their place in the world (even wasps ! and i'm allergic to them ! i could DIE ! and they don't even make honey !)... BUT.

you've put mosquitoes on the list.

now really. can anyone give me any legitimate reason not to get rid of mosquitoes ? do they actually contribute anything positive at all to the ecosystem, in however small a way ? or are they just blood-sucking, disease-spreading, peaceful-sleep-disturbing, nasty parasites we'd all be much happier without ?

it's a puzzler !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
I choose the mosquito option- am allergic to the bloody beasts!

kill them all,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
The Law of Unintended Consequences would state that, even though we may be unaware of the role that any species plays in the eco-system, that eliminating that species will lead to consequences that are probably not good.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I chose mosquitoes also! If they were gone, maybe the birds would eat more spiders.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
The Law of Unintended Consequences would state that, even though we may be unaware of the role that any species plays in the eco-system, that eliminating that species will lead to consequences that are probably not good.
*sigh* i know.

damned mosquitoes...
Old 07-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
Moejoe
Banned

Well I chose Sharks (obviously) and below, in this clip from Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus, you'll see exactly why they should not exist:

Old 07-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
now really. can anyone give me any legitimate reason not to get rid of mosquitoes ? do they actually contribute anything positive at all to the ecosystem, in however small a way ? or are they just blood-sucking, disease-spreading, peaceful-sleep-disturbing, nasty parasites ...
That's made me think, can we have humans on the poll?

Not to get rid of the whole species; just everyone else apart from me.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

We don't need any help. We're wiping ourselves out fine (Wish the Sharks would do the same.)
Old 07-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Well I chose Sharks (obviously) and below, in this clip from Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus, you'll see exactly why they should not exist:
paaa hahahahaha !!!!

(that was a joke, right ? that's not a real film ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

hmph ! not that i don't (frequently) agree with you, but in my own very personal and individual defense, i'd like to point out that i don't disturb anyone's peaceful sleep, nor suck blood, and when i'm sick i try to remain quarantined as much as possible.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #15
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
...outside of a book. inside of a book, it's too dark to... wait a minute, that's not how it goes...

hm, i'm torn. much as i loathe spiders and wish never ever to encounter them in any capacity nor at any distance, i must nonetheless concede that they contribute usefully to controlling the population of nasty flies (at the expense of other, more easily-appreciated insects, like butterflies). i can't stand to have them in my house but i never kill them, i just catch them and put them outside.

and i feel that way about pretty much all creatures ; even if i don't like them, they have (and deserve) their place in the world (even wasps ! and i'm allergic to them ! i could DIE ! and they don't even make honey !)... BUT.

you've put mosquitoes on the list.

now really. can anyone give me any legitimate reason not to get rid of mosquitoes ? do they actually contribute anything positive at all to the ecosystem, in however small a way ? or are they just blood-sucking, disease-spreading, peaceful-sleep-disturbing, nasty parasites we'd all be much happier without ?

it's a puzzler !

Are you accusing them of being my blood brothers????
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote