Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #16
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
The easiest way to identify a Topaz book is to just get a sample and link the Kindle to the PC to see the extension.

You CAN return a book, but I guess after so many times they flag you (just conjecture here). Better to just get samples and see for yourself first!

I have two Topaz books so far out of 20 or so.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #17
lindnet
Enthusiast
lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I haven't used the cover that came with my Kindle since the first day. I got a Waterfield sleeve case for it (with a strap) that I love (sfbags.com). But I read the Kindle without a cover on it.

Keep in mind that you can hold it anywhere down on the keyboard part, the keys are disabled when you are reading on it. It will probably take a couple of weeks, but you learn all the ways you can pick it up and hold it without pressing the Next Page buttons. I almost never hit them on accident any more.
lindnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 07:57 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you do purchase an eBook from Amazon and it turns out to be Topaz, can you return it?
This is from the Kindle FAQ on Amazon's kindle forum. Not sure if this is official, but I 've heard it before.

Q: I ordered a book by accident. Can I cancel my order?
A: If you ordered from the Kindle store, on your Kindle, you have an option right at the time of purchase to cancel your order. Otherwise, go online to customer service to initiate a return/refund.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:21 PM   #19
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
From a Kindle lover who also owns a Sony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
1) Why the cover don't fit? It's not secure and the Kindle keeps slipping off when I'm holding it.
I found that the plastic tab wasn't glued very well and it slipped too deeply into the slot in the cover. So, I grabbed my hemostats, pulled out the tab to just the right depth and glued it in with Super Glue. I can now hold my cover by the spine and shake it up & down and the Kindle doesn't fall out. If I drop the whole thing, the tab will sometimes snatch the back cover off the Kindle.
Quote:
2) I'm so use to the Sony PRS505, I can't seem to find a comfortable hold for the Kindle. Am I suppose to read with the cover off?
Different people hold the kindle differently. I read with the cover on. This is how I normally hold the device when reading:

Quote:
2) I keep accidently pressing the page turn button, does it get better?
Yes. Now the only time the button gets pressed accidentally is when I'm handing it to someone else. I will try to set a bookmark before I hand it off and that way I never lose my place.
Quote:
3) I just attached the USB cable to get a few book samples but they did not show up until I turned the wireless thing on; am I doing something wrong?
No, you did nothing wrong. Samples are only delivered via the Whispernet. That's the only thing you cannot get if you're outside of the USA or in an area not served by the Sprint network used by the Kindle.
Quote:
4) I have not yet purchased a book but do I need to turn on the wireless after I purchase a book for it to show up?
No, you don't *have* to turn on the wireless after purchasing a book via the browser. You can download to your PC and then transfer to the Kindle via the USB cable. To download to your PC, click the link saying "Manage Your Kindle" in the Kindle store header. After signing in with your userID and password, you'll see the download links at the bottom of the page under a title saying "Your orders and individual charges".
Quote:
5) Is the book loaded on the harddrive? I guess what I'm asking is it possible to convert amazon's books and read them on my Sony now that I can buy books from them?
I've not converted a book purchased from Amazon. Several people report that they have copied books from the Kindle to their hard drive, renamed it from .azw to .prc, and used the MobiDeDRM program to remove the DRM which allows them to read it on another MobiPocket device.

I'm not particularly interested in moving books from Kindle to Sony or Sony to Kindle. One reason why I bought the Sony was to avoid having to do the format shifting to read books that were only available in Sony format. (And particularly since the software to extract the book from a Sony file is less capable than that used to convert MobiPocket to another format.)

They are what they are and I'm enjoying each reader for its own capabilities.

By the way, my hubby surprised me last weekend by giving me the Sony cover with the light-wedge in it. Definitely a plus for reading in the car late at night. The normal book lights bother the driver and I'm not eager to climb into the back seat to keep from annoying him. I'll just load up the Sony reader and the Kindle and then move back and forth during our upcoming road trip.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:57 PM   #20
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Thank you Elsi! I did not like the concept of taking the Kindle out of the cover to read; I just practiced folding the cover all the way back and holding the Kindle like you illustrate in your picture and I think it's a real comfortable hold. I think it's the hold I will adapt. I will be buying a little piece of velcro to better secure the Kindle.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #21
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
1) Why the cover don't fit? It's not secure and the Kindle keeps slipping off when I'm holding it.
A small piece of Velcro on the back of the Kindle solves the falling out problem.

Quote:
2) I'm so use to the Sony PRS505, I can't seem to find a comfortable hold for the Kindle. Am I suppose to read with the cover off?
I either hold the cover, or slip my right hand t between the covers to hold the Kindle.

Despite the problems with the cover, I am very glad I bought my Kindle.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #22
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I've been playing all weekend with my new Kindle. I've taken advantage of the Cyberread 50% off coupon and bought about $74 worth of books and paid $37 (great deal ). All the books were Mobipocket in .prc format (I rarely buy Mobi, I usually buy Lit outside of LRF, but buying Mobi helped me to skip 1 step, converting Lit onto both Mobi & LRF format for both readers). I then stripped the DRM & loaded them on my Kindle and then ran them through Calibre to make LRF versions and loaded them on my PRS-505. My only complaint so far when it comes to the actual sofware is there are no page numbers. I like how the Sony tells you, you're on page 3 of 250 or if you change the font, it recalculate the pages (the 250 pages in small font might be 300 in medium font, page 3 of 300). That way, I know there are 247 or 297 pages to get through per font size. That's a small issue and I'm sure I'll get use to it. Overall I really love the Kindle and I'm glad I finally bought one. I will alternate between it and my PRS505.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #23
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
One cool thing about the location system on the Kindle is that the location is the same no matter what font size you use.

Keep on having fun!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #24
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Elsi said
Quote:
Several people report that they have copied books from the Kindle to their hard drive, renamed it from .azw to .prc, and used the MobiDeDRM program to remove the DRM which allows them to read it on another MobiPocket device.
WOW, such a simple solution. I don't know if it works on everything, but I have been getting my SF and mystery magazine subscriptions from AMAZON because they are cheaper.

I just moved my latest editions to the desktop, changed the extention from .azw to .prc, and used Calibre to convert to .lrf (didn't even need to use MobiDeDRM) and they converted flawlessly. And transferred to my PRS 505 without a problem.

Thanks for the tip!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #25
chrissy
Enthusiast
chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I too had a little trouble with the cover at first. After bending the tab (located on the inside of the cover) up a little more, the Kindle lodges a whole lot better in the cover and doesn't slip out anymore.
chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote