Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
dborja
Enthusiast
dborja began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hello

I just signed up here and I'm about to get a Sony PRS-505. My decision was between the Kindle and the Sony and the PRS-505 won for the following reason:

Price!

Anyway, I look forward to learning more here and, hopefully, sharing knowledge. My first eBook experience was Michael Crichton's "Timeline" on a Compaq Aero PDA.

Last edited by dborja; 06-24-2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Clarified which Aero...
dborja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Welcome. I've said several times that I could be content with a Sony Reader, but I really love my Kindle. I rarely use the Whispernet connection, but I love the fact that Amazon has pledged to offer best sellers and most new releases for a maximum of $9.99. I don't know that the prices for the Sony versions are as good as the Kindle versions so even though the Sony has a lower entry (purchase) price, you reach a point where the price for the device no longer matters if you buy enough books.

We're glad that you found us here at MobileRead. Through the generosity of volunteers, you can download so *many* books for the Sony Reader from this site. And, they're good books.

When you get it, be sure to tell us what you like about your Sony. Share with us the books you like -- and those you don't.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborja View Post
I just signed up here and I'm about to get a Sony PRS-505. My decision was between the Kindle and the Sony and the PRS-505 won for the following reason:

Price!

Anyway, I look forward to learning more here and, hopefully, sharing knowledge. My first eBook experience was Michael Crichton's "Timeline" on a Compaq Aero PDA.
Well, I hate it when price has to be the deciding factor in anything, but I suppose that's life.

Enjoy your Sony, and welcome to the forum!
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
dborja
Enthusiast

Thanks for the warm welcome! I do like the Kindle but when I considered the price differential, I decided I'm ok with a "basic" ebook reader for now. When Kindle 2 comes out and if it's at an acceptable price, I may upgrade and sell the 505...

Anyway, I will share initial impressions when I get it. I tried it out at lunch today at the Sony store and I wasn't disappointed.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
dborja
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Well, I hate it when price has to be the deciding factor in anything, but I suppose that's life.

Enjoy your Sony, and welcome to the forum!
I agree. However, I've been investing in a lot of computer equipment lately and I need to turn the spigot on my wallet to a lower setting. My wife has been shaking her head when packages arrive at our house and she hears the price; I'm afraid her pretty head might fall off if I got the Kindle...

Anyway, thanks for the welcome! I haven't been reading much lately and I want to start again. I really liked the experience and convenience when I read an ebook on my Aero. When I saw what e-ink looks like on my bosses' Kindle, my eyes just about popped out!
Advert
Old 06-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Welcome, dborja. Don't worry about Sony ebook prices. There's always ways to convert other (cheaper) formats to a Sony compatible format.

I've just invested in an ereader too (the Cybook). Looking forward to it. Now that you mentioned your first ebook experience, I wonder what will be the first ebook I will read in my new ereader!
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings, Dborja! Enjoy the forum!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote