Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
New Kindle Update?

I just bought a book and turned on the wireless for the 1st time in almost 25 days and when I put my Kindle to sleep, it updated the software. I have not read about a new update, so it came as a surprise when my Kindle went into update mode. It still say version 2.0.3 (327610024). Has anyone else Kindle been updated recently?
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
That version was released a bunch of months ago. It has some bugs solved (supposed) and disable USB network without the USB Network Hack and disable Speech on those books that has Speech disabled.

For me it is a backward step.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I dont know when it was released since, like you, I keep wispernet off to conserve battery... though it looks like we are behind the curve Mine also says 2.03 and i am sure that it was updated in the last day or so since I happened to turn the wireless on...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Same thing happened several weeks ago. When I posted about it, I got this response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
It was discussed here earlier - Amazon pushed preffered roaming list update. No software changes.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
I just got one today; it says 2.1.1 (351050064) (Kindle DX)
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #6
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver View Post
This is new. DX was 2.1.0.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
According to Amazon's Kindle Blog there's a 2.0.4 in the wild.
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilker View Post
According to Amazon's Kindle Blog there's a 2.0.4 in the wild.
Norsemen reported having 2.0.4 a couple weeks ago.

BTW, BlogKindle is a different blog than the official Amazon Kindle's Blog.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:00 AM   #9
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver View Post

Folders, PDF zooming?!

;>
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #10
PiAir
PiAir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX and BeBook
Changes in DX firmware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoglick View Post
Folders, PDF zooming?!

;>
Those would be really nice to have. Does anyone have a list with new/improved features in this version?
PiAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #11
Acextreme
Enthusiast
Acextreme began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Folders, PDF zooming?!

;>
Hah, I think I have a better chance trying to reach the end of the universe than Amazon creating such an update...
Acextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #12
elmoglick
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acextreme View Post
Hah, I think I have a better chance trying to reach the end of the universe than Amazon creating such an update...
Probably so. It's kinda like holding a lottery ticket and enjoying the fantasy of richness...and then it all ends in a shattering second when they announce the numbers (and YAKUWF - Yet Another Kindle Update Without Folders).

The source for 2.1.1 has been out for a few days - but evidently there's no interest by any of the uber-geeks to dig in and see what's changed. I've let my DX sit in standby for two days (sans font hack) and no update. Oh well. I'm going to re-hack and turn the radio off. Eventually it will show up on Amazon's site.

El
Old 09-06-2009, 01:04 AM   #13
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Truthfully, Amazon has not shown much of a track record in adding new features. The K1 was finally updated when the K2 was introduced and only to encourage marketing of the K2 via whispersync.

I wouldn't hold my breath for folders on the existing products. Not at least before the next major hardware revision.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:50 AM   #14
rfog
Guru

Quote:
The source for 2.1.1 has been out for a few days - but evidently there's no interest by any of the uber-geeks to dig in and see what's changed. I've let my DX sit in standby for two days (sans font hack) and no update. Oh well. I'm going to re-hack and turn the radio off. Eventually it will show up on Amazon's site.
Source code published by Amazon contains only the Open Source part, that is kernel, boot code and support libraries.

Central things like content browser, book viewer and so are java proprietary apps and Amazon does not publish the source of that.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #15
elmoglick
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Source code published by
Central things like content browser, book viewer and so are java proprietary apps and Amazon does not publish the source of that.
Ah... Drat. Guess we'll have to wait for field reports. Doesn't seem that very many have actually gotten it, so not sure what to make of that.

El