Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
travelingsandy
Connoisseur
travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7", Kobo Aura
Loading ePub

Hello, I just purchased a Kindle Fire HD 7" (love it so far). On my old Kindle Fire I had Mantano Reader for ePub (Harlequin, etc books). What is everyone using on the HD? When I looked at buying moon +Reader Pro from Amazon--it stated it would not work on the HD. I don't mind buying it if there is a work around; but, don't want to if it won't work at all.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am reviewing apps to load--those recommendations would also be appreciated.
travelingsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:12 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingsandy View Post
Hello, I just purchased a Kindle Fire HD 7" (love it so far). On my old Kindle Fire I had Mantano Reader for ePub (Harlequin, etc books). What is everyone using on the HD? When I looked at buying moon +Reader Pro from Amazon--it stated it would not work on the HD. I don't mind buying it if there is a work around; but, don't want to if it won't work at all.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am reviewing apps to load--those recommendations would also be appreciated.
Mantano and Moon+ Reader will work but it will be need to be sideloaded. I have both Mantano and Moon+ Pro Reader and both work fine. Moon+ does not handle ADE DRM epubs so for that there is Mantano or Aldiko. I use Overdrive Media Console for Library epubs.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
travelingsandy
Connoisseur
travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thanks Blossom--you are always so helpful to everyone--I enjoy reading your replies to people. where do I get Aldiko (I'm thinking that is the one I want to use)?
Old 04-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingsandy View Post
Thanks Blossom--you are always so helpful to everyone--I enjoy reading your replies to people. where do I get Aldiko (I'm thinking that is the one I want to use)?
I believe 1mobile has it if you can't sideload from the Amazon App store.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If you're wanting the free version of Aldiko you should be able to download the APK from Google Play for sideloading using http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/ as well.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
travelingsandy
Connoisseur

Question....when I go into Google Play to purchase of load a free app--it states I do not have a device connected (was on the Kindle Fire HD). Do I need to get the app from Amazon? Sorry for all of the questions, some of this is foreign to me.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
you use google play to get a URL, then paste that into the above downloader link then press the buttongs on screen to gernerate a downlaod link & to actually fownload.

I got the Kobo reader app that way , for my HDX, & Id recommend trying that.

you should not need to have a google tablet linked to the store. it may be helpful to have a google account though, & to be signed into google chrome.

in KF settings you have to tick allow apps from unknown sources.

the move the downlaaded instllers onto your KF by USB or via dropbox or similar.

Amazon app store does NOT have alkido, the only reader I ever found in their store was moon+ free

so for alkido, I fiind it in the play store, then copy the URL, which is
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid&hl=en_GB

then I paste that into the app downloader page ( link above) & follow the instructions.

this gives you a clean copy of the app, but the method does not work for paid apps, only for free ones.

and you don't get automatic updates for apps sideloaded this way. You have to manually check & repaeat the process to get any later version. Play store will show date last updated if you scroll down to additional information, below the reviews: e.g for Alkido that was last updated 28 January 2014

Last edited by cybmole; 05-05-2014 at 02:22 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Actually Amazon has Aldiko, Moon+ and Mantano in their app store you can buy them using the website but they will need to be sideloaded on your Fire.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:34 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Actually Amazon has Aldiko, Moon+ and Mantano in their app store you can buy them using the website but they will need to be sideloaded on your Fire.
maybe we are comparing UK & USA app stores. No Aldiko in my amazon app store!

please post your link showing it in-store

Also, you can only buy them if you have some other registered android device to buy them onto. If all you have its a Kindle Fire then so sale.

Sometimes you can't backup & sideload a paid for app anyway,
either because it its copy protected ( so you can't make the .apk file to transfer)
or because it will not run until it has verified itself with google servers ( which Amazon blocks).

If I'm missing something here' please walk us thru buying and installing a paid app which amazon have flagged as incompatible ( like moon + pro)
Old 05-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Both the paid and free versions of Aldiko are in the UK app store...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aldiko-Limit.../dp/B004V1XJ6Q
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aldiko-Limit.../dp/B004VMVF5C

The only way I know of to buy/install a paid "incompatible" app from Amazon is to buy & install it on another (non-Amazon) Android device. Then backup the apk and sideload it to the Fire. At least that's how I got Moon+ Pro and Mantano Premium on my HDX 8.9. I don't know if something like Bluestacks will work for this in place of a non-Amazon device, but it might.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
maybe we are comparing UK & USA app stores. No Aldiko in my amazon app store!

please post your link showing it in-store

Also, you can only buy them if you have some other registered android device to buy them onto. If all you have its a Kindle Fire then so sale.

Sometimes you can't backup & sideload a paid for app anyway,
either because it its copy protected ( so you can't make the .apk file to transfer)
or because it will not run until it has verified itself with google servers ( which Amazon blocks).

If I'm missing something here' please walk us thru buying and installing a paid app which amazon have flagged as incompatible ( like moon + pro)
U.S

Moon+

Aldiko

Mantano

You have to buy then sideload the app. You can't access them directly from your Fire so you will need a non Fire Android device then use ES File Explorer's app manager to back up into a apk for sideloading.

All Amazon apps are backupable. Google Play Paid apps can't be backed up on newer devices you will need a device with Gingerbread for paid Google Play apps or have the newer device rooted to backup a secure app from Google Play.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #12
cybmole
Wizard

ok - I need to practice spelling Aldiko for future searches

maybe I searched for Alkido, or maybe the tablet decided how is should be spelt, & got it wrong.

I gave up trying to understand how to operate bluestacks & deleted it. Maybe when /if it gets out of beta & they add some for-dummies instructions I will try again

The risk of buying for another (real or virtual) android device, then backing up , then sideloading, is that backups may not be allowed. That happened to me with the paid version of Calibre Cloud from Google play store.

with another game app that I'd bought on KObo arc, the backup & sideload, went OK but th game would not runon the Kindle!

if I follow your aldiko pro link , in the compatibility with your devices box I see:
NOT compatible with my Kindle.
that is is most likle a lie, but its their web site, they can lie if they want to.

they actually tell me that the Aldiko free is not compatible either.

.... and that Mantano premium is not compatible.....

Maybe that is specific to the HDX 9.8 , maybe theu say that for all the Kindle Fires ?

( I have my Kobo arc also linked to same amazon account and the store tells me that all of the above ARE compatible with that. So it would sell them to me, but them I@d be on my own with the backup...sideload...palaver.

it is good that I like the Kobo reader, as I have that installed & working OK .
Shame that it won't sync sideloaded books across the 2 devices but you can't have everything for free !
Old 05-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #13
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

All Amazon apps are backupable. ..
that's a bold claim - good to know if true, but how can you know that for sure ?

Also, is there any other way to know in advance if a specific Kindle Fire
e.g. HD, HDX 1st gen, 2nd gen, 7 inch, 9 inch... ( (I make that ~63 possible combinations! )
will run the particular app you are wanting to buy. There seems no obvious way to check directly with the developer & Amazon are not going to say...

Last edited by cybmole; 05-06-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #14
travelingsandy
Connoisseur

Question for Blossom and AnemicOak. I am following the thread and if I may ask a question. If I load the Aldiko or Mantano app into my Apple computer how do I side load them into the Kindle Fire HD?
Old 05-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
if I follow your aldiko pro link , in the compatibility with your devices box I see:
NOT compatible with my Kindle.
that is is most likle a lie, but its their web site, they can lie if they want to.

they actually tell me that the Aldiko free is not compatible either.

.... and that Mantano premium is not compatible.....

Maybe that is specific to the HDX 9.8 , maybe theu say that for all the Kindle Fires ?
No other reader apps (besides library apps like OverDrive) are "compatible" with the Fire's as far as Amazon's concerned, because they don't want you using them. I don't use Amazon's reader at all on my Fire HDX 8.9 I use Moon+ Pro and Mantano Premium in conjunction with Calibre Companion. (see attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MoonPlusPro.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	476.1 KB
ID:	122697   Click image for larger version

Name:	MantanoPremium.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	452.7 KB
ID:	122698   Click image for larger version

Name:	CalibreCompanion.jpg
Views:	158