Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Editor of SFWA Bulletin resigns

I don't know is anyone has been following the SFWA Bulletin kerfuffle, but the editor of the Bulletin has resigned effective immediately.

http://www.sfwa.org/2013/06/editor-o...letin-resigns/

Background on the controversy:

http://www.metafilter.com/128715/The...ll-for-respect
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Can't say I'm surprised by the resignation.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Hmmm, the link didn't really say she was taking responsible for it, just that she was leaving. She might be falling on her sword, she might just be sick of the squabbling.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Does this cover say it all?

Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Weil, as it's just a statement from the current President, John Scalzi, I'm not surprised. As she was the editor when the columns were published, she was ultimately responsible. So, yes. Falling on her own sword.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Does this cover say it all?
Looks like they reprinted a Frazetta painting of Red Sonja. Questionable in these days of women in field plate (as opposed to "breast" plate), but not as bad as some Conan covers I've seen.

If it'd been of Conan, though, everyone would've been demanding brain bleach from seeing a guy in a fur battle thong.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read Resnick's blog post about this. (Or maybe it was just the one from the author in the UK who reacted to it so strongly...can't remember her name...and made it clear she blamed a good portion of the US as well). His comments seemed ridiculous to me....I hadn't seen anything from the editor specifically, especially nothing that....whiny!

He did point out that a female editor (I think he called her a "lady editor" which people took exception to since it sounds condescending) approved the cover, so I can understand why she might feel she needed to resign.

Do I think that cover is ridiculous? Oh, yeah. Sorry - but you can't say she's a serious warrior woman and then put her in a (chain mail) bikini on the top of a snowy mountain! Maybe if she was in a desert setting that getup could be explained away...maybe.

So yeah, get the folks talking. I just wasn't sure I understood why the editor should resign. She would have done better to use the next (available) magazine to open a dialogue about the issue, rather than just throwing up her hands and saying "I was bad, I quit!"

The only thing in Resnick's rant that I remember being worth considering was that he mentioned that as many romance covers are equally "fantasy-fulfillment" as are the sci-fi covers like the one on this magazine. (Not his words, exactly, but I think that was ultimately what he was trying to say). Believe me, I cringe at many of those covers. If he had said, "well yeah, some of the SFF book covers are pretty amazingly bad" then he would have been on par with a lot of romance readers who think the same about their book covers. We pick up the books despite the covers, not because of them! (And thank god for ebook readers that no one has to see those covers and judge what I'm reading without having a clue about the true content!)

But instead he went on a rant about it's turning into a PC world where men can't be men, yadda yadda.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
What's wrong with the cover?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #9
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
We see this in video games now too.

It's funny, in the past everything was censored out of prudery.

Now things are censored out of political correctness.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:21 AM   #10
FizzyWater

Do you really think it's PC for women to say that no true warrior woman would be dressed like that in snowy mountains?

There's a lot of overtly sexy kick-ass women on the covers of Urban Fantasy novels, and while I wonder about some of the contorted poses, at least they're flippin' dressed! Even skin-tight leather would protect them in a fight more than a chain mail bikini.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:29 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post

What's being censored, JeremyR? Are you really objecting to the membership of an private organisation deciding collectively what it will and won't pay for and publish, using its own democratic principles and procedures to do so?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:00 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post

This is not censorship based on political correctness. It's not even censorship.

Malzberg and Resnick are being disrespectful to women and they think it's OK because they are men. How is this censorship due to political correctness?

Then they have the gall to say that those that complained are trying to sensor them and compare them to Stalin and Mao.

Then there is an article saying that Barbie is a roll model for women.

Again, it's not censorship based on political correctness. It's crap based on childish immature men. And I do feel that if you agree with them, then (IMHO) you don't have respect for women.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:12 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Again, it's not censorship based on political correctness. It's crap based on childish immature men. And I do feel that if you agree with them, then (IMHO) you don't have respect for women.
What nonsense. At least as many fantasy books portray scantily clad men on the cover. Does this illustrate a lack of respect for men?

Like it or not, semi-nude heroic figures (of both men and women) on covers are a staple of the fantasy genre, and have been since at least the 1920s.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:17 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What nonsense. At least as many fantasy books portray scantily clad men on the cover. Does this illustrate a lack of respect for men?

Like it or not, semi-nude heroic figures (of both men and women) on covers are a staple of the fantasy genre, and have been since at least the 1920s.
It's not the cover that's the real issue, but what was said in the articles.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:28 AM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not the cover that's the real issue, but what was said in the articles.
This.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote