Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
mutant_matt
Enthusiast
mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Touch
Unhappy Recovery from "Processing Content"

Chaps,

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't find the answer in the searches that I have done.

I got my Glo yesterday, and am sideloading books manually with file copies. The first several books went on fine (usual process, connect USB, copy books onto Kobo, eject device, Kobo restarts, books get loaded).

Then, I came load one or more books that the device apparently didn't like, a problem which has been well documented.

However, no combination or turning off, sleep, on, back from sleep, soft reset (with a paperclip), can get the Glo to restart, and not go back to attempting to process the new content (and at no point does the USB port enable mass storage mode, so I can delete any of the books I've just added, either).

So, people talk like they can "try again", removing one or more books at a time? I can't seem to do anything other then a full factory reset (turn it off, hold down the light button, and turn back on). This both is very frustrating, takes ages, and then you have to set everything back up again, and import all your previous books. You loose where you were in your books you were reading and you loose all your shelves and other settings (I am shortcutting this process a little, by restoring to the most recently saved /.kobo/KoboReader.sqlite that I have, but it doesn't help the process that much).

Have I missed something? Any ideas/help? (it would be most appreciated). If you can't recover, other than the nuclear option, it makes loading any books, like playing russian roulette .

Help greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Matt

P.S. I suspect I *might* be able to mitigate the problem by running the books through Calibre first, but it only takes one book to "break" the device, and cause a world of pain...
mutant_matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Sounds frustrating! Have you tried plugging the device into a wall charger? Sometimes that gives it a boost and wakes it up. Leave it plugged in for at least half an hour...

Do you have any idea of the battery level when you started putting books on the device?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
mutant_matt
Enthusiast
mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

I haven't actually tried that, but I have tried it with the "data" USB connected to me pc (in the vain hope that the mass storage mode would kick in, and I could remove the books I just added - didn't happen).

The device was fully charged when I had to do this, twice, last night.

Is it my understanding, that on the Touch, you can get back to the library/home screen after restarting from a "Processing Content" stuck screen, somehow? (presumably, sans the new books that didn't get added?)

It wouldn't bother me so much if this was possible, as at least you were back to where you were before you added the books. Right now, I'm back to where I was when I bought the Glo from the shop... :@ (makes putting new books on, like I said, a bit like playing Russian Roulette )

Thanks,

Matt.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you haven't already given up, you could still try the wall charger. It gives more power than the USB cable from a computer.

You could check the books before you transfer them to the device to make sure they're not corrupt...
Old 10-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant_matt View Post
Is it my understanding, that on the Touch, you can get back to the library/home screen after restarting from a "Processing Content" stuck screen, somehow? (presumably, sans the new books that didn't get added?)

It wouldn't bother me so much if this was possible, as at least you were back to where you were before you added the books.
Thanks,

Matt.
you're right there's a way out of this with the Touch ... with the Touch, when it's gotten stuck in that processing loop, a paper clip in the back reset hole will bring it back up to the reading screen. new book won't have been added.

i then connect the touch to ADE, and navigate my way to the kobo, remove whatever books I just added.

I personally had trouble with the processing loop usually when using calibre, so i tend to use ADE to do my transfers now. that's helped cut it to a very infrequent occurance, at least for me.

hope you can find a way on the glo to get out of the processing loop.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
mutant_matt
Enthusiast

Hmm. Thanks for your help. I can try the power only USB, but I don't see the connection between power, and book import behaviour? The Glo has plenty of juice when this is taking place (i.e. fully charged).

When I do a power off/on, it restarts the attempted import process, where it gets stuck, and when I attempt the paper-clip soft reset, it restarts and does the same. I was hoping a Touch user could suggest a way out, but it sounds like the firmwares has changed this behaviour on the Glo

I'm wondering if I could put the books on an SD card instead, so that when I do a soft reset, take the card out, it won't find the books to scan. The downside presumably to that would be, all books would be removed from the database, and all the shleves with them.

Perhaps I do a loop where I import new books via card, if the Glo likes them, I remove the card and reboot (hence deleting them from the db), then re-add them, to the permanent storage, and *then* I can add them to shelves. Seeing as I would only be adding books every few weeks or months, it's not a huge problem, if this would work.

How do I report a bug to Kobo, and have a discussion about this behaviour, in an official fashion? (newbie)

I also wonder if I were to hack it so I can get a shell on it via Wireless, I could telnet in during the import phase, and remove the newly added books, to get it back to where I started, without nuking it back to factory fresh?

I'm not yet using Calibre, and I won't ever be using ADE, and the books in question, so far, open fine with Okular (Linux epub/pdf viewer) and Calibre, for reading. Perhaps, I need to routinely use Calibre and that might fix most of the presumed problems, with the formatting of the books in question? (I'm having a look also at Sigil/Flightcrew to do some validation).

Thanks for any further help/suggestions anyone has.

Cheers,

Matt
Old 10-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Hi Matt, there's no specific link between power and book import behaviour. However, plugging a kobo ereader into a wall charger has often proved to give the device a boost when it's confused. So if you haven't already, I would try that option just in case, if I were you.

The fact that all restarts and soft resets seem to get stuck on processing does point to an ebook it doesn't like. If that is the problem, a real reset should work. But indeed, that won't solve any future problems with similarly faulty books. As you suggest, using Calibre could help quite a bit to prevent such issues. Calibre is good in formatting books the way Kobo likes it. I've never had any problems with it, and processing new content has always gone perfectly.

There's a sticky thread in this Kobo device forum to help you set up Calibre the way Kobo likes it.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
mutant_matt
Enthusiast

I did discover that a book I was trying to load, even Calibre couldn't convert for me (it's in an ePub, so I tried to load it directly. When I tried to convert it from original ePub to ePub with my Calibre settings, it failed (perhaps I should try the conversion overnight to see if it can do it, eventually!)).

*If* Calibre can't deal with the content, then I don't really expect the Kobo to, though Calibre's reader can read the book, it just seems to struggle with "converting" it. I haven't yet had a book that has passed through Calibre that caused a problem, but, a corrupt file/book, will sooner or later cause somebody somewhere to have to factory reset their Kobo Glo

In the mean time, I didn't feel like trying again and having to reset my Glo, so my method that has worked for me so far is:

1. Put it to sleep.
2. Insert micro-SD card with new books.
3. Bring it out of sleep, the new books import ok
4. I then go and delete them from the device
5. I remove the SD card, and connect the Glo to the computer.
6. I copy the books to the Glo itself, it imports and I'm good to go.

I did report the problem of the Kobo Glo getting stuck in a loop to Kobo, and they should fix this, but they don't seem interested in helping me until they can get my Kobo account details (and I don't have one ). I did point out that any corrupt file that has the right extension, is likely to cause this problem for someone, but, they want my account details it seems, before looking into the problem.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone, (or spurs someone with a similar experience to discuss, if they have come up with an alternative workaround)

Cheers,

Matt.

Last edited by mutant_matt; 11-17-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That's a good solution for the problem. One thing is that you shouldn't need to wake the device after inserting the SD card. My Touch automatically wakes when I insert the card and processes the books.

Any chance of seeing the book? I am curious about what is in it that is causing the problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote