Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-28-2014, 03:04 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
AARP RealPad is an unnecessary Android tablet for seniors

Quote:
The American Association of Retired Persons is now selling a tablet aimed at people over the age of 50 who might not be comfortable just buying any old tablet. The AARP RealPad is a $189 tablet which is about the size of an iPad mini, but which runs Google Android 4.4 with a custom app launcher featuring large icons.

It also comes preloaded with an AARP app, games, tools, and a few other features.

But overall it’s just a normal Android tablet with a custom skin. And you can find plenty of tablets for well under $189.

The AARP RealPad is available for pre-order from Walmart, but I’m not sure you should buy it.

The RealPad’s specs are pretty mediocre. The tablet has a 7.85 inch, 1024 x 768 pixel display, a 1.2 GHz Intel Atom Z2520 dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, 802.11n WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, a 5MP rear camera, 2MP front camera, and GPS.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:39 AM   #17
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
They have a good video pushing it: http://www.aarprealpad.org/video.

I think the idea is solid. Sure it isn't for the techies or even for the younger generation that grew up with computers and video games, but lots of people in my generation and in my parents' generation will welcome this tablet. That it is from AARP will be reassuring. My 85-year-old uncle who has never had a computer and probably has never even touched one outside of what is required to complete a credit card transaction in a store would consider this device, especially because it is from AARP.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2014, 05:22 AM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
That it is from AARP will be reassuring.
And that's the point. If it has AARP slapped on it, it must be good. The problem is, it's overpriced for its specs. In today's market, there's no excuse for a nearly $200 tablet being shipped with a dual-core CPU, 1GB of RAM, and a 163 ppi display. These are the specs you'd expect to find on a $99 tablet.

Personally, I think AARP is scamming its membership; and I find that unconscionable. A much better tablet for this group would be the Kindle Fire HDX 7". It's $10 cheaper and its specs blow the RealPad out of the water. The Fire HDX will run faster and smoother than the RealPad. Additionally, its display will produce much sharper text for reading; something highly valuable for this age group. On top of all that, it has live 24/7 Mayday support; something the RealPad can't touch with its 24/7 phone support.

There are better options out there. At $189, the RealPad deserves a big thumbs down.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yeah, the Fire comes with the Mayday button for assistance.
That's for in case you fall and break your hip....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #20
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
And that's the point. If it has AARP slapped on it, it must be good. The problem is, it's overpriced for its specs. In today's market, there's no excuse for a nearly $200 tablet being shipped with a dual-core CPU, 1GB of RAM, and a 163 ppi display. These are the specs you'd expect to find on a $99 tablet.

Personally, I think AARP is scamming its membership; and I find that unconscionable. A much better tablet for this group would be the Kindle Fire HDX 7". It's $10 cheaper and its specs blow the RealPad out of the water. The Fire HDX will run faster and smoother than the RealPad. Additionally, its display will produce much sharper text for reading; something highly valuable for this age group. On top of all that, it has live 24/7 Mayday support; something the RealPad can't touch with its 24/7 phone support.

There are better options out there. At $189, the RealPad deserves a big thumbs down.
I appreciate reading others' takes on this. I, too, predict that the halo effect conferred by the two trusted providers (AARP and Intel), combined with their targeted marketing of the product, will attract some people to buy this. But:
  • At that price point, if I were to buy one for one of my loved ones, I'd buy a Samsung, an iDevice, or - if they specifically requested it - a Kindle
  • There's no way to increase the size of fonts or icons within apps, so maybe a larger device is in order for seniors who are visually challenged
  • The seniors I know who are technophiles or technocurious either already have or might prefer an already-established brand of tablet or ereader
  • Some of my older loved ones would prefer a device purchased from a store, such as Best Buy, where they could get face-to-face, in-person assistance from competent, patient tech support staff.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #21
Gotadimple
Zealot
Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nvidia Shield
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
I appreciate reading others' takes on this. I, too, predict that the halo effect conferred by the two trusted providers (AARP and Intel), combined with their targeted marketing of the product, will attract some people to buy this.
Froide,
You forgot Walmart. AARP, Intel, Walmart - mega marketing.

In reality, Walmart probably has contracted with Intel to produce devices and they are both paying AARP royalties to use it's name and Marketing clout (and the AARP demographic databases).

True, for those comfortable with technology - this tablet isn't anything to get excited about, but, one thing AARP does really well is educate. They are a trusted source of general info on many topics. Many people rely on that, and are grateful for it, in their first step in understanding. The education provided is consistently mediocre. But when you know nothing, mediocre is a good place to start.

Gotadimple
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #22
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
that might make this fall into the Politics/Religion thread...
Politics, religion, and medicine.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #23
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That's for in case you fall and break your hip....
Actually, you know, that Mayday button might actually be useful for that kind of emergency situation, especially if you tend to carry your Kindle around your home with you, like I seem to be doing. It's always within easy reach.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #24
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Personally, I think AARP is scamming its membership; and I find that unconscionable.
Anybody can slap an AARP label on their product, if they are willing to pay the royalties that the AARP requires.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:51 PM   #25
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Because it comes from AARP, and lets just say that I don't like their politics.
You have a problem with "older" people?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:11 PM   #26
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Nothing about a dislike for cheesy scam artists indicates a problem with older people.

Even people who are not older themselves should pay enough attention to business news to be aware of frequent problems with Colonial Penn Life, the parent of AARP. Certainly they have done things egregious enough and frequent enough that I knew they were not above board as a teenager in the seventies.

This has always been a sleezy rip off.

Last edited by Phogg; 11-03-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: name correction
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:36 PM   #27
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Mmmmmm ............

Being well into the target audience, I find this rather patronising !

"Over 50 ? Well, you're obviously a bit thick/slow/illiterate/number-challenged et al than the rest of the population. so here's a nice oldie-friendly piece of kit to keep you quiet, 'cos we all know you lose yer marbles once you get over the important, productive years ...."

I'm the original Mr TechDunce, but I manage to stumble my way around, despite not really understand a great deal of what goes on ! And I did sling Win 8 out my metaphorical window 'cos I found it stupid - mind you, p'raps that shows I know a bit more than I think !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:08 PM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Personally I have nothing against "older people" (I am an "older person"), what I have a problem with is AARP.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:23 PM   #29
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
No, I have a problem with AARP. It is a bad organization.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #30
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
A nice thing about the AARP is that joining it is voluntary and they don't force you to give them money like the Government does no matter what errors and misdeeds they commit.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote