Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 05:47 AM   #1
Tomsk
Womble
Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KFHDX8.9, Fujitsu S1300, Voyage, K7
Plustek AD450 scanner

http://plustek.com/product/ad450.asp

I'm about to buy a scanner and this is currently topping my shortlist.

Second on my list is the Fujitsu Scansnap S1300. They cost the same and have similar software bundles incl. ABBY Finereader; V6 for the Plustek, V4 for the Fujitsu. The only advantage (that I can see) the Plustek has over the Fujitsu is that the Plustek is TWAIN compatible.

The Fujitsu S1500 is third on my list, but it costs more, I don't really need the extra speed and I already have Acrobat.

Anyone have any experience with the Plustek scanner?
Any reason why I should buy the Fujitsu S1300 instead?

I'll be scanning in mostly technical and instruction manuals to be viewed on my KDXG.
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
The Plustek scanners have had poor reviews compared to the ScanSnap series. They don't seem to hold up very long. This particular one seems to be in short supply which suggests it is either very new or has gone out of production. I wasn't able to find any reviews on it either when I did a quick search.

The ScanSnap s1300 has recieved good reviews. Keep in mind, this is a portable device. It's slower than the s1500 and the paper tray holds only 10 documents compared to the 50 of the s1500. It probably isn't designed to handle as much volume in its lifetime as the s1500. I have a s1500 and have been very pleased with it. The only caution I would have for the s1500 is to keep it clean. Use a vacuum to get rid of paper dust, never compressed air or even just blowing on it. I had to send mine in, fortunately under warranty, to get rid of paper dust that worked its way into the non-consumer accessable portions inside. They recommended using a vacuum, which I do now, and haven't had any problems since. Customer service with Fujitsu was excellent.

If all you do is scan an occasional 10-50 page manual, the s1300 would probably meet your needs. Of course, there is the danger that you will get hooked on scanning every piece of paper that comes into your life and regret not getting the s1500.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert