Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-05-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
Snowthief
Snowthief began at the beginning.

Lightbulb Idea for seemingly faster startup

Question: Can't the startup image be set to the last shown page? I've looked around, but I'm new here, so I don't know if this has been suggested before. When you need to put your iLiad down, you would turn the page, then turn your Iliad off. Either each time you turn a page or when you turn off the device, the generated screen image could be saved as the startup screen and then you could immediately continue reading when you start booting. Of course which book and page you're reading should be saved as well, so the iLiad could load that as well.

There should of course be a setting to disable this if the user is reading something he doesn't want someone else to see if they turn on the device.

Example:
User is reading "War and Peace", page 57.
User turns to page 58.
Page 58 is generated and shown on screen. Generated image is saved as bootimage.bmp.
User turns to page 59.
Page 59 is generated and shown on screen. Generated image is saved as bootimage.bmp.
User turns off his iLiad.

User turns on his iLiad, bootimage.bmp is shown, which is page 59.
iLiad boots and loads "War and Peace".
40 seconds passes, user is reading page 59, which was saved as bootimage.bmp and the iLiad finishes loading.
User turns to page 60.
Page 60 is generated and shown on screen. Generated image is saved as bootimage.bmp.

Etc.

The only thing I can see ruining this is if it's not possible to change the boot image... but why wouldn't it be? Also, there should be added a check to the startup that verifies bootimage.bmp is valid, so the device doesn't try to show the file if it's corrupted, as it could become if the iLiad dies from lack of power or crashes while it's saving the image.

I know it's not perfect, but at least this way the long bootup time wouldn't be totally wasted, if you remember to turn the page before putting the iLiad down, you could immediately get back to reading at least that page while the iLiad was booting next time.

My apologies if this has been suggested before and can't be done for whatever reason.

Thank you for your time.
Snowthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
It's been suggested several times, including in the iRex forum. Per Matthijs , "showing the last-read page on boot is something we are looking at as a future improvement."
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert