Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
ChelC
Enthusiast
ChelC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
Is there a point to having both calibre and sony software?

Hi guys, I'm new here. I just ordered the Sony 700 yesterday. I'm going to be using it primarily for public domain books. Do I need (or would I want) both types of software or does Calibre replace the sony software?

I see that Calibre allows me to attach tags which I like. Is there anything Sony software does that Calibre doesn't?

Thanks in advance. Five or six years ago I thought I was pretty up to date, but now being a SAHM I don't know what's going on in the computer world anymore... it passed me up! On a side note does anyone know a good source to reeducate myself about the technology world or am I hopelessly lost?
ChelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Sony software "pre-formats" documents before loading them onto the Reader. Some folks have had large files cause the Reader to crash when it tries to load/format them. The Sony software appears to be the most viable work-around at the moment.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Actually you need both in my opinion. Your need the Sony Connect software to access the Sony Store where you will download your 100 classics and can buy books from Sony.
With that said, Calibre is so cool! Calibre is where you can download feeds such as newspapers, magazine feeds, etc. Plus, like you said, you can organize your books into categories through tags with Calibre.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
ChelC
Enthusiast

Quote:
Calibre is where you can download feeds such as newspapers, magazine feeds, etc.
How do I do that?
Old 02-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_manual/news.html explains how to use Calibre to download newspapers, blogs and other things that have RSS feeds
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelC View Post
I see that Calibre allows me to attach tags which I like. Is there anything Sony software does that Calibre doesn't?

1) Required to register your reader.
2) Required to buy SONY books. I've had my reader for over a year and I've only bought two books from SONY. I get most of my books from FictionWise and BooksOnBoard.
3) Required if you plan to check out eBooks from the Public Libarary.
4) Catches LRF files on the reader so the load time is faster. This is a one time hit for each font setting (S/M/L). In the past the performance differences wasn't that much so I did not use the SONY connect software for almost a year. But after the Firmware release the differences are large.

You can go without the software but I recommend you install it and use it as needed.

Quote:
SAHM:
?? What's that if I may ask what is a SAHM.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
1) Required to register your reader.
2) Required to buy SONY books. I've had my reader for over a year and I've only bought two books from SONY. I get most of my books from FictionWise and BooksOnBoard.
3) Required if you plan to check out eBooks from the Public Libarary.
4) Catches LRF files on the reader so the load time is faster. This is a one time hit for each font setting (S/M/L). In the past the performance differences wasn't that much so I did not use the SONY connect software for almost a year. But after the Firmware release the differences are large.

You can go without the software but I recommend you install it and use it as needed.

?? What's that if I may ask what is a SAHM.
=X=
My guess is "Stay at home Mom"
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
ChelC
Enthusiast

Yep, that's it - Stay At Home Mom. In other words, out of the workforce and most conversations involving peanut butter sandwiches and bum wiping.

Not much time for keeping up with technology.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
My guess is "Stay at home Mom"
Madam you're good, thanks

Quote:
Yep, ...
Not much time for keeping up with technology.
True you're dealing with the old technology, but still by far the most advance and funnest to be with to date.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
i only use both programms to see, which pdf i have alredy convertred to lrf - it gets then the "sony book icon".
for convertion i only use calibre.

take care

harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I use Calibre for everything except viewing LRF files. For that I use Sony Connect. At the moment for some reason I can't use the Sony Connect software for anything but viewing files..if I try to go to the library the program crashes...so I haven't been able to use the program at all since the last firmware upgrade. (I've already un-installed and re-installed with no effect)

Basically my experience with Sony Connect has been rather negative..and the only positive thing about it is the viewer....
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I use Calibre for everything except viewing LRF files. For that I use Sony Connect.
Have you tried the calibre viewer? It is fairly new so perhaps you weren't aware of it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Both programs are good to have. I would suspect that except for purchasing DRM books from Sony you would have little use of the Sony software. Calibre is a complete package for the non-DRM world. Those of us with the older Sony model (PRS-500) needed the Sony software for its USB driver that would allow the unit to be charged from the USB port. (The 505 and 700 do not need or use this driver.) The Calibre driver in those days did not allow the unit to be charged through the USB port.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Have you tried the calibre viewer? It is fairly new so perhaps you weren't aware of it.

BOb
It is a more precise view of what the Reader screen will look like than the Sony viewer.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
It is a more precise view of what the Reader screen will look like than the Sony viewer.
I don't know. My point was that if you are keeping the Sony software around to view LRF files, it is no longer needed.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote