Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
What programs are avaialble to from CBR/CBZ to Epub?

I like calibre for managing my books but when it comes to converting my manga its a nightmare. Is what other options do I have for converting my manga to epub? I would like it to make everything into black and white images before it hits the device if not is there another program that will batch everything into b/w images?
GoldThreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If you can take it apart, irfanview, a free program, will do block converts. You might check it out.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

what do you mean by take it apart exactly?

Last edited by GoldThreader; 12-17-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not familiar with the format. If you extract the images, you can use a program like irfanview. If you can convert to epub with calibre, it is no more than a zip file from which you can extract images.
If you get it in an epub format, you can open it in Sigil and edit the images one by one, by simply right clicking on the file name listing in the book browser and choosing open.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
CBR and CBZ are image files (usually jpg) ZIP compressed.
What I do is:
Change their extension to ZIP, open them with Winrar, extract the images to a folder and see, full screen, on a 10-inch tablet (Windows) with XnView.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone

This brings up a point that bedeviled me lately.

Look at the attached image. Seems like it is great, right. Grayscale it and the orange title disappears!

Just be sure if you are converting from color to grayscale that some important part of the picture doesn't all but disappear. It usually isn't a problem with photographs, but drawn pictures might have this problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	97859  
Old 12-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
vinayaksanga
vinayaksanga began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
How to create regional language epubs like kannda

Guys ,

help me out in creating epub in Kannada language.
vinayaksanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayaksanga View Post
Guys ,

help me out in creating epub in Kannada language.
Don't start a new topic within a thread. Start a new thread with your question.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
I am not familiar with the format. If you extract the images, you can use a program like irfanview. If you can convert to epub with calibre, it is no more than a zip file from which you can extract images.
If you get it in an epub format, you can open it in Sigil and edit the images one by one, by simply right clicking on the file name listing in the book browser and choosing open.
Not sure if your saying infranview can convert the files to epub or not? Basicly the whole point of the thread is to find something besides calibre to convert it to epub
Old 12-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
CBR and CBZ are image files (usually jpg) ZIP compressed.
What I do is:
Change their extension to ZIP, open them with Winrar, extract the images to a folder and see, full screen, on a 10-inch tablet (Windows) with XnView.
Yeah well in my situatio all im looking for is something to go from a zip basicly to epub other than calibre dont get me wrong i like calibre managing my books just not converting them i run into too many issues.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
If I remember correctly, some tools were mentioned somewhere on this site.

*Update. I was right. A quick search on CBZ in this forum gave me the following threads:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80752
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27243

Last edited by Toxaris; 12-19-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #12
mrmikel
Color me gone

Or if you really don't want anything getting in the way, use an unzip program to get the images and then add them and insert them one by one into a new epub document in Sigil. Use any graphics program to grayscale, rotate, or resize them.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
A while back, someone did a post using Photoshop to convert Manga to B/W. Here is the topic:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=103583

Also, while searching, I ran into this topic explaining a program, MangAI:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157653

If you are not scared of the command line, and lots and lots of reading/learning/testing, I would recommend using ImageMagick to batch convert images:

https://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote