Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
leecole
Lee Cole
leecole began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire,Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Ipod Touch
Epub to Mobi loop???

I have "The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?" by Rick Warren in the Epub format. I attempt to convert it to Mobi, so I can read it on my Kindle, but the conversion never ends. It gets to 47% and never progresses ant further. Any suggestions?
leecole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Do you get any error messages? If not, let it continue. If there is no error message, Calibre is still working on the conversion- problematic files have been known to take a few hours sometimes.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leecole View Post
I attempt to convert it to Mobi, so I can read it on my Kindle, but the conversion never ends. It gets to 47% and never progresses ant further. Any suggestions?
Never is a absolute that doesn't apply in this case.

Hopefully you took Manichean's advice and let it continue the conversion. If you don't get a error returned then it is still processing the conversion. It is not in a loop. You can open the job details for the book (lower right) and view the log as it goes.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
leecole
Lee Cole

Epub to Mobi loop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Never is a absolute that doesn't apply in this case.

Hopefully you took Manichean's advice and let it continue the conversion. If you don't get a error returned then it is still processing the conversion. It is not in a loop. You can open the job details for the book (lower right) and view the log as it goes.
It reaches 47% after about 30 min. Six hrs later, it is still at 47%. Since the conversion process brings my system to it's knees (100% cpu) I haven't been willing to let it run any longer. I was hoping someone would have some clue as to maybe change a option that may help.
Thanks...
Old 04-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Depending on the quality of the input file, conversions can take a really long time. The longest conversion I've had running was about 24 hours. Your call.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Since the conversion process brings my system to it's knees (100% cpu) I haven't been willing to let it run any longer. I was hoping someone would have some clue as to maybe change a option that may help.
Go to preferences - behavior and change Job priority from Normal to Low and your computer should remain responsive during the conversion.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
leecole
Lee Cole

Walt's suggestion: Go to preferences - behavior and change Job priority from Normal to Low and your computer should remain responsive during the conversion

I had already done this, but that doesm't ensure system reposiveness, Windows XP's task manager itself doesn't get control until a task does I/O or executes a WAIT instruction. Believe me, on my system, conversion still brings my system to it's knees, even with calibre-parrall running at low priority. Yhw real solution, of course, would be to purchase a newer system, but I am retired trying to make it on a fixed income, so the option that I will go with, is read this book on Calibre instead of my Kindle.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I had already done this, but that doesm't ensure system reposiveness,
True enough, setting low priority works great when you have more than one core. I guess running the jobs while you sleep is the other alternative.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you are doing nothing else,
Low priority should make little difference in the processing times.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
leecole
Lee Cole

TheDubks - If you are doing nothing else,
Low priority should make little difference in the processing times
In Windows XP, unless you are using a program that gains control by a hardware interrupt, it (whatever it's priority) will NOT wrest control away from a running task until that task does I/O (the I/O routine does a wait) or your program itself issues a wait. I have several programs attempting to run (all at a higher priority than caibre-parrell) but until calibre-parell does I/O none of them will gain control. If a program is examining data and/or moving data around in memory, it will keep control.

It is a fact that calibre brings my system to a virtual halt when it converts a book. I have In Preferences-Behavior-Job Priority = Low. I am just asking if there is something other than that that might make a difference.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
It is a fact that calibre brings my system to a virtual halt when it converts a book. I have In Preferences-Behavior-Job Priority = Low. I am just asking if there is something other than that that might make a difference.
If you have a single core system, as I guessed in post 8, then there is nothing you can do except run it while you sleep.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #12
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have a single-core system, and as long as I run the calibre-parallel at Low priority my system hardly notices that a conversion is running. I am running windows 7 Pro as the OS rather than XP, so I guess that might make a difference.

I guess another variable might be RAM - if that got low it could push the system into excessive paging. I have 2GB on the system in question, so that is far more than Calibre ever wants to use.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I have a single-core system, and as long as I run the calibre-parallel at Low priority my system hardly notices that a conversion is running. I am running windows 7 Pro as the OS rather than XP, so I guess that might make a difference.
That was my experience after switching to low priority too. I have a dual core, Windows XP with 3.5GB and needed to change to low priority for my system to remain responsive. Windows 7 might be the key to your success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I guess another variable might be RAM - if that got low it could push the system into excessive paging. I have 2GB on the system in question, so that is far more than Calibre ever wants to use.
This too is a possibility.

Good info.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My system is similar to Walt's. Just not as much RAM (1.5G).

Taming your A/V (no real time: calibre files and Library. Scan BEFORE adding.) makes a huge difference.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Taming your A/V (no real time: calibre files and Library. Scan BEFORE adding.) makes a huge difference.
Good point - I have both my Calibre install folder, and my Calibre library folders set to be exempt from virus scanning.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote