Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #16
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I've been told the Android release for the W1060 will be sometime near the end of Decemeber. If it happens any sooner I will be sure to update my review thread.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #17
celtica96
Zealot
celtica96 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, SmartQ 5 & 7, Mirus CT9W7
Correction on English (United States) Support In Android

The release of Android 1.6 for the V7 does support U.S. English. Unfortunately, the SmartDevices download is set to Chinese and the language has to be changed manually.

See the 12/04/09 comments at the end of the V7 review above on how to change the default language.
celtica96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #18
crlock
crlock began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ V7
ouuuchhhh!!! i already bought mine! it's flying overseas right now, i hope that by the time it arrives, SmartDevices has released a new firmware to fix these problems
crlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #19
rorang
rorang began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQV7
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodor View Post
Please can you give more details about internet browsing what is working and what not. Does it have firefox installed ?
Can you say more about the linux distribution is it ubuntu ?
Hello, after the firmware update things get a little disappointing
Wince 6.0 Wifi works now but only with one profile if you have more than one profile it togles between them. browsing is reasonably fast. Blue tooth is not working in any profile A2Dp, data.

Linux 5.1 has some issues wifi no longer works after the firmware upgrade. WICD will no longer obtain DHCP address & manual input will tell you your connected to the AP but your not able to communicate!! ping arp ect. Blue tooth is not working in any profile A2Dp, data.

ANDROID 1.6 Wifi works poorly it will connect to my AP but I am unable to brows the web with androids browser, or connect to web services. Blue tooth driver is not present still needs work.

Last edited by rorang; 12-09-2009 at 11:13 AM.
rorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #20
rorang
rorang began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQV7
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtica96 View Post
The release of Android 1.6 for the V7 does support U.S. English. Unfortunately, the SmartDevices download is set to Chinese and the language has to be changed manually.

See the 12/04/09 comments at the end of the V7 review above on how to change the default language.
How to change Chinese to English in ANDROID V7
Settings symbol (hammer and other tool) --> 9th menu option (3rd from
the bottom) --> 1st menu option --> 1st menu option (English)

your done!
rorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #21
Dvalin21
Zealot
Dvalin21 began at the beginning.

Device: VS Gtablet/Zenithink/GS II T-Mobile
My question is, with Android being out for the V7, would the V7 be a better pick than the W1060?
Dvalin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #22
celtica96
Zealot

Eletroworld requested that I forward the V7 on to another reviewer (Merry Xmas, HB).

I don't feel I can justify spending the $250 for the unit as it stands so I am going to send it on its way.

Hopefully, SmartDevices will continue to improve the firmware and the V7 will achieve its full potential.

That story, however, has yet to be written.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #23
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

LOL celt. Interesting that I came up with the same result on another device I reviewed! How is your new convertible netbook doing?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #24
celtica96
Zealot

@coldsun
Thanks for asking. Things are going well with the Mirus CT9W7 convertible. It's better than the V7 in many ways but costs twice as much. For me, the value proposition is there. It's so rugged that I've even taken it out to lunch--no worries about babying it--just open it up and read/email/take pictures/watch videos. The handle makes a big psychological difference in how willing I am to take it with me.

If SmartDevices' port of Android 1.6 worked better, then I would have kept the V7. It lacks a reliable browser/wireless connection and a way to install more apps. In short, Android on the V7 is for decoration only. Of course, Windows CE and Linux work well but I've got devices that run those already. I guess I'm just a technology glutton.

Covia Android on the Q5 has made me a firm believer in the future of this OS. It shows what's possible with SmartDevices hardware. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the V7 gets there sooner rather than later.

Last edited by celtica96; 12-10-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #25
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

I think my wife purchased a netbook for me for xmas. I gave her a few choices from low to high price, so we shall see what she picked. I told her no larger than 10.1" screen. I'm pretty excited to play with it and see how far I can stretch it.

Last edited by ColdSun; 12-10-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Tags
eletroworld, hdmid, smartdevices, smartq