Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Hack to reopen last book

I would find a way to reopen the last opened book at startup, if I shut down when the book was opened.
What I want to do is to write the document path to some file before the device is shut down if the document is open, and re-open the document when the OS is ready. The problems are:
  1. how can I insert an action before the shutting down?
  2. where can I find the last opened document? I'm quite sure this information is stored somewhere (the db?)
  3. how can I open a document?
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
As for point 1, this might be helpful.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Ok, this is what I have done:
  1. opened a SSH connection
  2. mkdir /etc/rc0.d
  3. cd /etc/init.d
  4. echo "#! /bin/sh" > test
  5. echo >> test
  6. echo "echo 'OOOOOOOOOOK!!!!!!!' > /mnt/onboard/OOK.txt" >> test
  7. cd /etc/rc0.d
  8. ln -s /etc/init.d/test S10test
  9. sync
  10. exit
  11. unplugged kobo
  12. restarted kobo

Result: no OOOOOOK.txt even after another shutdown.... but my db is corrupted, since kobo doesn't find any book in my library even if the files are ok

It seems that the OS doesn't use rc#.d scripts. Any other ideas?

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 05-05-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe you can do something like KevinShort does here.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
don't forget to "chmod +x script.sh"

busybox probably doesn't support /etc/rc0.d
however /etc/inittab should do as well by adding:
Code:
::shutdown:/path/to/script.sh
Details: http://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/examples/inittab
yoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoq View Post
don't forget to "chmod +x script.sh"
......damnit :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoq View Post
busybox probably doesn't support /etc/rc0.d
/etc/inittab should do as well
It doesn't work... I added

Code:
::shutdown:/etc/init.d/test
before

Code:
::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r
the stupid test script works if I run it manually, but it's not executed at shutdown

EDIT: I also added sync at the end, but nothing

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 05-06-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: added sync without success
Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

After some help from the BusyBox maling list, I've found that any output, even the stdout, is suppressed during the shutdown, but the script is executed. I don't know if there's a way to write an output on shutdown. Maybe I can use acpid to run a script when the power button is slided.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
tshering
Wizard

If acipd does not work as wished, I would like to draw your attention again to KevinShort's ingenious solution.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

I completely missed you post, this is a lot more simple! I'll try it tomorrow

The best for me will be to disable also the display of the shutdown image, so the last page will be displayed instead. Unfortunately, like Kevin, I have no idea where's the code that loads that image.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Ok, it works! Now the real big problem is to find a way to open the book. I think there's no command line solution this time... probably books are managed by nickel? Furthermore I should be able to open it instead of showing the homepage, to save time.

Yoq, you have linked a library to nickel. Do you have any idea where I can find what I'm searching for? On Kobo git I can't find nothing useful.

I can also simulate a touch on the first book, but it will be slow and not so useful.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:39 AM   #11
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
My approach is described here: http://www.jayconrod.com/cgi/view_post.py?23
However, this is probably not useful for your problem, it's better suited to change the way nickel interacts with the kernel or other programs. I have not looked into it yet, but "ah-" seems to have gained some access to the nickel internas with his KoboTweaks plugin.
yoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:03 AM   #12
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

So I have to take a look to tweaks code. ah- seems to be inactive...
Old 05-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
I can also simulate a touch on the first book, but it will be slow and not so useful.
I doubt you could get anything to go much faster than that. Even the tweaks plugin doesn't start until after the home screen loads.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote