Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
canadianjameson
canadianjameson began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad 2
managing one sync'd library across two computers

Hi,

I've recently begun using my laptop to manage my ebook library in addition to my desktop. My question is: is there an easy / recommended way to 'sync' my calibre libraries across more than one computer? I have access to a web server if that's a recommended avenue...

I ask because I just fumbled about and set both calibre libraries to the same directory in dropbox, but i noticed a conflicted copy of the metadata file and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to screw things up this way.

Also, one is a PC and one is a MAC - am I just asking for trouble??

Thanks,

Jay

p.s: I went through some of the other dropbox-related threads I could find, but they were from 2011 or before and one mentioned changes in the works. I will only use calibre on my desktop until I hear back, and if need be I can just manually update. I just wanted to know what the best current solution was.

Last edited by canadianjameson; 01-08-2013 at 12:13 AM.
canadianjameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianjameson View Post
I ask because I just fumbled about and set both calibre libraries to the same directory in dropbox, but i noticed a conflicted copy of the metadata file and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to screw things up this way.
I have used dropbox to sync between two Windows machines for about 4 years. There are two things you must always be aware of. Doing either of these two items can cause conflicted copies resulting in possible loss of updates or edits.

1.) It is imperative that you do not run calibre from both machines at once.

2.) When you move from one machine to another it is critical that you let Dropbox fully sync and bring files up to date before you start calibre. Starting calibre prior to Dropbox fully syncing may cause any updates you did on one machine not to be reflected in your second machine. When you run calibre before Dropbox is fully sync'd is when you end up with conflicted copies as Dropbox was unable to update the local copy because it was in use.

A third item to be aware of is that on occasion when converting Dropbox and calibre attempt to use the same file at the same time. This usually happens during bulk conversions so if I submit any mass conversions I will pause syncing prior to running the conversion jobs. When the jobs are complete I will resume syncing.

Quote:
I can't speak to the specifics of the differences between file systems that might cause a conflict between the two OS's.

I'll let other folks talk to the two OS's and alternative ways of syncing your libraries.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-08-2013 at 01:31 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Hi,

No, up until I got my iMac, I was using a PC as my desktop and a MacBook Pro laptop and with this method I had no problems across the different operating systems. Different operating systems do not impact the syncing process.

KEY HERE as DoctorOhh has pointed out is to NEVER have both versions of Calibre opened at the same time AND always let Dropbox fully sync before opening up Calibre. If you remember nothing else, remember these two items.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
As I've mentioned in the past, I do use Dropbox but in a rather different manner to what I see others doing. I use a combination of Dropbox and Allways Sync.

My main Calibre libraries are stored in My Documents; I then have Allways Sync set to copy from My Documents to Dropbox; in turn Dropbox replicates to the cloud, and my Laptop gets a copy from Dropbox.

I then accept that the Laptop will in effect be a read only copy, so just copy out of Dropbox into it's own Calibre library.

Never ever do I copy from the Laptop's library back to Dropbox.

Sure, this means I can only make permanent changes to my libraries from the main PC, but it also means I can use Calibre on more than one machine.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote