Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Exclamation New Windows 7 Tablet/Slate - With Netbook Hardware!

It appears that there is a new tablet/slate coming in March that is based on netbook hardware. Several different vendors are selling the same basic device under various names and with various options. They all look like the same W1070 that has been on the Wirelession web site for a while now. The device as listed on the ExoPC site is supposedly going to be $599 with Windows 7 Home Premium (full touch support) and 2GB of ram. I must admit that I will be one of the first to order one of these when they become available. There is certainly room for improvement (N450 processor, ION, larger battery, etc) but this appears to be a good first attempt in my opinion. There also seems to be an empty mini-PCIe slot, a TV tuner would be nice! What are your thoughts on this device?

http://www.exopc.com/en/exopc-slate.php

http://www.wirelession.com/products_...?cid=108&id=85

http://netbooknavigator.com/index.ph...d=26&Itemid=69

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/10/lb...or-march-2010/

LCD: 8.9" TFT Touch Screen (1024x600)
CPU: Intel atom N270 1.6GHz
Chipset: Intel 945GSE+ICH7M
Video Card: Intel GMA950
RAM: DDR2 1GB 667MHz (2GB option)
Hard Disk: 16G SSD, 32GB SSD, 64GB SSD
Internet Connection:
Built in 10/100M WAN/LAN card
Built in Wi-Fi module802.11b/g
Built 3G CDMA Module (optional)
Camera: COMS Camera 0.3~1.3M Pixel
USB connection: USB 2.0 × 3
Wired internet connection and VGA Port ×1
CDMA SIM slot ×1
Extensional Memory slot: SD/ MMC×1
Mic output: 3.5mm / -56dB ×1
Headphone output: 3.5mm / 40mW×2
Power input: DC18.5V/ 3.5A ×1
Battery: 4 Hour (optional)
Power Adapter: 100-240V AC 60W, output 18.5V DC 3.5A
Size: 250 mm×168 mm×21.3 mm
Net weight: 1.01kg (with battery, without bag), Gross Weight: 1.53kg

Last edited by CyGuy; 02-25-2010 at 04:15 PM.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Looks very nice, but that battery. Oh, the battery...
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Does anyone know what this bad boy costs?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
4 hour battery life is probably more like 2.75 hours.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
4 hour battery life is probably more like 2.75 hours.
I agree. Fail.

I can't see buying a device like this unless it can get at least 8 hours in REAL use with WiFi on. Will the iPad or the Adam live up to that... who knows?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I agree. Fail.

I can't see buying a device like this unless it can get at least 8 hours in REAL use with WiFi on. Will the iPad or the Adam live up to that... who knows?

BOb
Yeah, 8 hours is reasonable. At the end of the day I can recharge at home or in a hotel room.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Very interesting, but yeah the battery life has got to be more or it's worthless. What good is a computer pad when you have to plug it in.

If Apple lives up to the claim then they got that right at the very least.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
It needs the Pinetrail processor to help the battery life.... like the rest of you , the battery life kills the deal for me..... I know they can do better than that...
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
It needs the Pinetrail processor to help the battery life.... like the rest of you , the battery life kills the deal for me..... I know they can do better than that...
You're right about needing the Pinetrail. As it is now, it's already outdated.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:04 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Looks nice! I personally don't care about the battery life, as I would use it for night time reading anyway. And these days I'll be happy if I can read for 30 minutes...

and on the first website it says:

Battery
4 hours
72 hours

Last edited by Sweetpea; 02-26-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, the battery life of this device is not really up to par. Today's netbooks are making a full 10 hours on a charge. I think the next iteration of this with the N450 (Pinetrail) will help the battery life somewhat. I am going to try this version though. I have been waiting for a device like this for many years.

P.S. That 72 hour number is standby time I believe.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Very interesting, but yeah the battery life has got to be more or it's worthless. What good is a computer pad when you have to plug it in.

If Apple lives up to the claim then they got that right at the very least.
By all accounts, the Tegra2-based systems are very good at power management: Apple's custom chip is unlikely to match it. This device is, of course, Atom and we can see the downside to that...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
CyGuy
Avid Reader

Is the Tegra2 an X86 chip, will it run Windows 7?
I agree that they picked an older Atom when they should have used the latest and greatest for this device.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #14
CyGuy
Avid Reader

I did a bit of research and it appears that the Tegra2 only supports Windows CE, Windows Mobile and Android (Chrome OS is a possibility later down the road). It looks like the Atom is the processor of choice for now.