Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 03-19-2003, 08:33 AM   #1
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
New beta version iSiloX/XC

Got an email about the new beta version of iSiloX/XC yesterday...seems that scheduling is now an option for each channel created, and works in conjunction with Windows scheduler!

Am buried coming off vacation, so haven't had a chance to play with this new feature. Anyone else want to give it a whirl and let us know how effective it is?
Old 03-19-2003, 11:11 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Ahhh a new beta, how nice

Get it from here: http://www.isilox.com/info/beta/index.htm

iSiloX 3.35b1 addresses the following issues:

- Source HTML files that use only LF (0x0A) as line breaks may result in an extraneous '>' at the end of the content.

- Font size set with <basefont> would not be held in content at the same level.

- When removing single line breaks, the words adjoining the line break would become abutted.

- Links within a page whose source URL does not have a path component may not work.

iSiloX 3.35b1 adds the following features:

- iSiloX Clipper for Internet Explorer 5.0 or later. The iSiloX setup by default installs the iSiloX Clipper application to Internet Explorer, adding an icon to Internet Explorer's toolbar. iSiloX Clipper allows easy conversion of content as the user browses within Internet Explorer. The user can either select part of a page to convert or convert the entire page. In both cases, all applicable options normally available within iSiloX are also available, as well as the ability to follow links.

- Added support for automatic scheduling of iSiloX using Windows Task Scheduler to perform scheduled conversions for document lists with entries having scheduled conversions set.

- Added support for automatic scheduled conversions within iSiloX when a document list is open and one or more entries have a scheduled conversion that is due.

- Added Scheduling property page to the Properties dialog for specifying conversion schedules for documents. Each individual document can have one or more schedules for conversion. Schedules can be of the following types:

Once: A Once schedule is a scheduled conversion that occurs once at a specified date and time.

Daily: A Daily schedule is a scheduled conversion that occurs at a specified time of the day either once every specified number of days or on one or more chosen days of the week every week. A Daily schedule can also have an effective start and/or end date and time.

Weekly: A Weekly schedule is a scheduled conversion that occurs at a specified time of the day on a specified day of the week either once every specified number of weeks or on one or more chosen weeks of the month every month. A Weekly schedule can also have an effective start and/or end date and time.

Monthly: A Monthly schedule is a scheduled conversion that occurs at a specified time of the day on a specified day of the month either once every specified number of months or on one or more chosen months of the year every year. A Monthly schedule can also have an effective start and/or end date and time.

Always: A document with an Always schedule is converted whenever a scheduled conversion occurs such that at least one document entry in the list has a due next conversion time. An Always schedule can also have an effective start and/or end date and time.

- Added options for removing horizontal padding to the Margins property page of the Properties dialog. The available padding options are:
Keep all left and right padding
Ignore all left and right padding
Ignore only left and right padding specified on body
Ignore only left and right padding specified on body, division, and paragraph blocks

- Added command line option -s for starting a scheduled conversion.

- Added command line sub-options p, s, and e for the -H option to selectively hide the progress dialog, successful conversion message, and error conversion message, respectively.

- For the source and destination properties, the Delete key can be used to delete items.

WOW!! How's that for just another new beta
Advert
Old 03-20-2003, 09:49 AM   #3
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
I downloaded it, because I wanted immediately to test the scheduling component. It works fine and takes away what was for me the chief advantage of HandStory. I haven't yet tested the simplification of setting up sites for iSilo, but will report back as soon as I do. PDR
Old 03-20-2003, 10:03 AM   #4
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

I just converted a map from Mapquest using the iSilo add-in to Internet Explorer. It works just as well and efficiently as does the HandStory add-in. Because I have been using HandStory as a web clipper only and because iSilo now does what HandStory does, I don't see a reason to use both. Or am I missing something? PDR
Old 03-20-2003, 11:09 AM   #5
radleyp
Evangelist

I scheduled conversions yesterday and they worked. Today I had a number scheduled, and not one of them worked. I have no idea what is going on. Alexander, what do I do other than follow the screen options? Must something be turned on that is not turned on? Thanks for any guidance. PDR
Advert
Old 03-20-2003, 11:15 AM   #6
radleyp
Evangelist

You don't have to answer my last post. I see that for this scheduler to work, either iSilo must be open or I must use Windows Task Scheduler. PDR
Old 03-20-2003, 12:52 PM   #7
radleyp
Evangelist

Alexander, how do you set the converter up to work with Windows Task Scheduler? I cannot get it to work. PDR
Old 03-20-2003, 01:37 PM   #8
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
You will be surprised at how remarkably easy it actually is... I know I am! If you right-click and pull up the properties, you'll see a new "scheduling" tab. It's pretty self-explanatory (or at least I think it is).

Test it out this way:

Open your .ixl (iSiloX file)
Click on whatever link you want to test for scheduling
Right-click to bring up the menu
Click on 'properties'
Click on the 'scheduling' tab
Click 'add new schedule'
Click 'once'
and then set it up for a few minutes later
Click 'ok' and close both dialogue boxes to get back to your iSiloX file.

At this point it doesn't matter if you have it open or closed. The thing to remember, I saw, was that there's actually 30 seconds to a minute padded in there. If you keep your ixl open, you'll see a dialogue box pop-up with a countdown screen. This enables you to actually cancel the download if you want. Clever, eh?

Goodbye multiple iSiloX files! Hullo new version!

Has anyone tried the clipper? I wish they would make it work for Netscape/Mozilla! Interesting note: you can't set scheduling for the clip service. It's not a preference....
Old 03-20-2003, 02:28 PM   #9
radleyp
Evangelist

Sunshine, I am not a techie, but I quickly understood how to do scheduling. My understanding, however, is different from yours. Have you read the new specs? They state that the scheduling will work IF ISILO (the program) IS OPEN. Otherwise it must work through the Windows Task Scheduler. And that's where I am having trouble. I cannot get the scheduler to work with iSilo closed. Any tips?

I just used the clipper to clip a map and a cartoon: it works every bit as well as HandStory's.

Cheers, PDR
Old 03-20-2003, 02:36 PM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Maybe there should be an option included to minimize iSiloX to the tasktray or to load a helper app (like HandStory does) that sits in the tasktray. This way the iSiloX scheduler would always work...
Old 03-20-2003, 02:44 PM   #11
radleyp
Evangelist

Pretty much what I have done. I open it, and then minimize it. PDR
Old 03-20-2003, 03:50 PM   #12
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Radleyp: Just curious do you have iSiloXC installed?

And no, I don't know how to read, which is why it works for me and not for you.

Alex: Yea, I know what you mean. It won't let you do anything else with your open browser page while you're clipping. That kinda stinks.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:57 PM   #13
radleyp
Evangelist

No, I don't have iSiloXC installed, and perhaps that's why it doesn't work for me. BTW, I assumed that you did know how to read, which is why I asked the question. PDR
Old 03-20-2003, 04:08 PM   #14
iSilo
Developer
iSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally posted by radleyp
Have you read the new specs? They state that the scheduling will work IF ISILO (the program) IS OPEN. Otherwise it must work through the Windows Task Scheduler. And that's where I am having trouble. I cannot get the scheduler to work with iSilo closed. Any tips?
What new specs are you referring to? Where does it state that scheduling only works if iSiloX is open?

Scheduling works in both cases, whether you have the conversion list open in iSiloX or not and whether or not iSiloX is running or not.

Basically this is the way it works:

1. If you have the conversion list open in iSiloX, then scheduled conversions occur directly there. The Windows Task Scheduler is not involved in this case.
2. When you close a conversion list (e.g., no longer have it open in iSiloX), iSiloX automatically schedules itself with Windows Task Scheduler so that it is called to perform a scheduled conversion on the list at the appropriate time. If you are using Windows XP or Windows 2000, then your account must also have a password and you must specify your password within iSiloX using the Scheduled Conversion Account dialog through the Document menu.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:22 PM   #15
radleyp
Evangelist

Sunshine, look at Alexander's description, in his first post here, a description that is taken from the site where you can download the beta

" Added support for automatic scheduling of iSiloX using Windows Task Scheduler to perform scheduled conversions for document lists with entries having scheduled conversions set.

- Added support for automatic scheduled conversions within iSiloX when a document list is open and one or more entries have a scheduled conversion that is due."

You have iSiloXC installed from what I understand, which I think also means that you have already configured the Windows Task Scheduler. I have not done that, and I suspect that that is why it does not work. Then again it's quite probable that a non-computer person like me has either misunderstood or made a mistake somewhere.

Cheers, PDR