Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Question Use of HTML files in touch screen readers

Question: since HTML files have hyperlinks, will the touch screen readers, that display HTML, be able to utilize the hyperlinks?

i.e., I envision the newpapers of the future, (since it appears many will go digitial this year) keeping the "front page" and providing hyperlinks to the articles ("continued on page ...")

Will the future, and/or current, electronic reader devices (did we ever decided on a generic name?) be able to use this feature?

"....inquiring minds want to know...."

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i have a sony 700 which has a touchscreen, and an eb1150 which also has a touchscreen. the eb1150 can only read its own proprietary format but it can handle hyperlinks. on the sony i read epub files and those can handle links as well ; very useful for end notes, etc. : one link in the text for the note, and a link at the end of the note to jump back to your page in the book (otherwise you can use the "go to page" function but that's 2 button presses instead of one, so i try to add the "back" links if they aren't there already and there aren't too many of them).

also, the rss feeds (including from a news site) made with calibre use hyperlinks for navigation and they work very well too.

oh, and we call them "liseuses".
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i have a sony 700 which has a touchscreen, and an eb1150 which also has a touchscreen. the eb1150 can only read its own proprietary format but it can handle hyperlinks. on the sony i read epub files and those can handle links as well ; very useful for end notes, etc. : one link in the text for the note, and a link at the end of the note to jump back to your page in the book (otherwise you can use the "go to page" function but that's 2 button presses instead of one, so i try to add the "back" links if they aren't there already and there aren't too many of them).

also, the rss feeds (including from a news site) made with calibre use hyperlinks for navigation and they work very well too.

oh, and we call them "liseuses".
Thanks, that is great to know about the hyperlinks. It will make reading non-fiction items so much easier.

I had seen you use the word "liseuses" but I am fuzzy on how to pronounce it. Also is the basis French or is it just made up? [By the by, in my school days, aeons ago, my French class teacher said that the French language was strictly controlled to elivate new, "slang" words, as we do it here in America. Is this still true?]

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Thanks, that is great to know about the hyperlinks. It will make reading non-fiction items so much easier.

I had seen you use the word "liseuses" but I am fuzzy on how to pronounce it. Also is the basis French or is it just made up? [By the by, in my school days, aeons ago, my French class teacher said that the French language was strictly controlled to elivate new, "slang" words, as we do it here in America. Is this still true?]

AJ
yes, i agree, what's the point of reading on a device if you can't use things like links ? makes life a lot easier, definitely.

liseuse is pronounced sort of like "lee-zeuhz" with the last vowel pronounced like the e in "her". it actually is a real french word which has got a whole slew of meanings including a lamp to read by, a short jacket worn by a woman to read in bed, a protective book cover, a knife used to cut pages (that one is pretty archaic)... it litterally means "reader" so it's an obvious candidate for a reading device and it's becoming fairly common for that use in french. i guess you saw our whole thread about naming the devices, it's since then that it's been picked up by some for using in english as well.

as for your question, the Académie Française is *supposed* to manage the introduction of new words into the french language and what is considered correct use of the language (it's a living language so it evolves). they are mostly on the lookout for things like using english words when a french equivalent exists, or sometimes they try to invent new words for new technology (like the ill-fated "courriel" for email, from "courrier", mail, and "électronique". also "pourriel" for spam : from "pourri" rotten and "électronique" again... nobody says that really ; we all just say "mail" and "spam". it's shorter).

they also have sometimes tried to invent new "french" words for things which were being used in english, but that doesn't work so well either. they tried to get us to say "fin de semaine" instead of "weekend" but "weekend" is only 2 syllables and can be abbreviated to 2 letters ; nobody says "fin de semaine" instead of weekend (although we do say it when we actually mean "the end of the week" which is the litteral translation).

they don't have much to say about slang though ; slang by nature has problems with authority so it just keeps getting invented and used. the french language has a very long and rich history of slang actually and slang is in fact a cherished aspect of the language and culture by many, especially writers. if a slang word becomes common enough, the académie might say that it should be included in the dictionary, and then it becomes official.

a lot of new french words are invented in québec ; they've got some sort of académie too and they invent all sorts of things. i think actually courriel and pourriel come from québec. maybe in canada they actually use them...
Old 03-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Question: since HTML files have hyperlinks, will the touch screen readers, that display HTML, be able to utilize the hyperlinks?
All current ebook readers can handle hyperlinks within an ebook (within a single document). The method of selecting the link varies, but it is possible even without a touch screen.

I don't think any current EInk ebook reader handles hyperlinks outside the current document except in special cases. Even multi-file HTML is typically not supported. The Kindle and FBReader can download MOBI ebooks via the web from within a MOBI "download guide", but the Kindle can't reference other MOBIs on the device this way. FBReader invokes a separate web browser (where available) for general hyperlinks. Most current EInk devices don't have access to the web (so download guides don't work), but the next generation of devices likely will and this probably implies that they will come with a web browser.

The current standard approach to reading web pages is to use Calibre (say) to build an ebook version and then copy it to your device.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
they also have sometimes tried to invent new "french" words for things which were being used in english, but that doesn't work so well either. they tried to get us to say "fin de semaine" instead of "weekend" but "weekend" is only 2 syllables and can be abbreviated to 2 letters ; nobody says "fin de semaine" instead of weekend (although we do say it when we actually mean "the end of the week" which is the litteral translation).
French doesn't have it's own word for "weekend"? That's rather... peculiar.

EDIT: Wait what hell am I saying, Croatian uses "vikend".
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
French doesn't have it's own word for "weekend"? That's rather... peculiar.

EDIT: Wait what hell am I saying, Croatian uses "vikend".

Tags
html, hyperlinks, newspapers, touch screen