Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
boom1212
boom1212 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2
How to backup u-boot , or modify it ?

Hi everyone! i want to know how to backup the "u-boot" form my KPW2, u-boot mean the bootloader,right? i have the TTL now,but don't know use what command to backup it as a ".bin" file,when it can be backuped,i think we can modify something cool and flash it,let kindle has more function when it boots.
boom1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by boom1212 View Post
Hi everyone! i want to know how to backup the "u-boot" form my KPW2,

u-boot mean the bootloader,right?

i have the TTL now,but don't know use what command to backup it as a ".bin" file,

when it can be backuped,i think we can modify something cool and flash it,let kindle has more function when it boots.
Not easily, it is in protected storage.
For details, see the Amazon u-boot source code, start with the implementation of "Erase All" command.

What you can do is copy the image running in memory.
Which is what "Erase All" copies to the protected area of flash.

Yes, u-boot is the bootloader used in the Amazon builds.

You need to be more clear **which** copy of u-boot you are writing about (there are two, the first that runs and bist, which runs on command).

= = = =

What do you mean by: "modify something cool" ?

And why do you need to work with the binary image rather than build from the Amazon posted source code?

= = = =

Note: You should be able to find posts here from people who **have** re-built u-boot with added features.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
boom1212
boom1212 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Not easily, it is in protected storage.
For details, see the Amazon u-boot source code, start with the implementation of "Erase All" command.

What you can do is copy the image running in memory.
Which is what "Erase All" copies to the protected area of flash.

Yes, u-boot is the bootloader used in the Amazon builds.

You need to be more clear **which** copy of u-boot you are writing about (there are two, the first that runs and bist, which runs on command).

= = = =

What do you mean by: "modify something cool" ?

And why do you need to work with the binary image rather than build from the Amazon posted source code?

= = = =

Note: You should be able to find posts here from people who **have** re-built u-boot with added features.
Well,i think the bootloader in KPW2 is not locked,so,when we in fastboot mode, we can use the command to reflash it:"fastboot flash bootloader uboot.bin".But first, we should have the "uboot.bin" which is backuped.
As we know,the "fastboot mode" doesn't like the big file for some reason,but if the device be recognize as "Android Bootloader Interface",it can be flashed big file like mmcblk0p1.img,so we can flash system using fastboot command directly.
In my opinion,now has two questions:
1.how to backup the u-boot as a ".bin" file which can be flash by fastboot command;
2.modify it(add the "Android Bootloader Interface" mode when the device boots)
boom1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, not enough ram to support the "Android Bootloader Interface".
That is the reason for the Amazon (grayscale) Kindle specific fastboot.

And you don't backup u-boot.
You load a newly created binary that you built from Amazon's (special) source code.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #5
KindleAndroidMan
KindleAndroidMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch2
@boom1212
You have the same problem?!
KindleAndroidMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
KindleAndroidMan
KindleAndroidMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch2
@boom1212

@zxczxc and i are talking about this. I speak Chinese. You can send your QQ WeChat or email to my email"KindleAndroidMan@yopmail.com". We can talk it together!
KindleAndroidMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:28 AM   #7
zephray
zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Actually, you can access the uboot area with DIAGS! Just login to console and you would be able to backup the uboot with dd if=/dev/mmcblk0boot0 of=/file/name/of/backup. To flash new uboot, just enter bist fastboot in uboot and use fastboot tool to flash your new uboot to prod area.
zephray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:12 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephray View Post
Actually, you can access the uboot area with DIAGS! Just login to console and you would be able to backup the uboot with dd if=/dev/mmcblk0boot0 of=/file/name/of/backup. To flash new uboot, just enter bist fastboot in uboot and use fastboot tool to flash your new uboot to prod area.
That is only available with the most recent 5.6.x/5.7.y versions of the firmware.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:11 AM   #9
zephray
zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zephray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That is only available with the most recent 5.6.x/5.7.y versions of the firmware.
I'm sorry cuz I'm using 5.6. However, one can also build your own uboot easily! In my post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=271750 I have mentioned how to build a full set of uboot as well as flash them into kindle.
zephray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephray View Post
I'm sorry cuz I'm using 5.6. However, one can also build your own uboot easily! In my post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=271750 I have mentioned how to build a full set of uboot as well as flash them into kindle.
Yes, indeed.
That is what I have been recommending -> build it yourself