Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 06-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #31
jswinden
Nameless Being

Never been a Microsoft fan, but I use what works best for me. Android tablets are for play and not much else. If someone wants a tablet to play games, read books, use lackluster apps, et cetera, then Android can do that. So can iOS. But I want to be able to work on a tablet, so it is very important to me that a tablet has a true full size USB port, an SD card slot would be great but not a deal breaker if it didn't have one, it would need to be plug and play with a multitude of peripheral devices (like laptops and desktops are), it would have to be capable of running camera control software, it would have to be capable of running amateur radio control software, and so forth. Obviously that means it would have to be capable of hooking up to cameras, radios, telescopes, et cetera via USB. Can Android or iOS do that? Hell no! Can Windows and Mac OS do that, yes. Unfortunately Apple doesn't seem likely to put the Mac OS on a tablet. Only Microsoft seems to want to build tablets with a full blown, full feature OS. So hats off to Microsoft for being the first to actually get it right!

Last edited by jswinden; 06-27-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #32
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
So hats off to Microsoft for being the first to actually get it right!
Right for the compromise that you are willing to accept, not right for others who don't want the additional bulk and weight of ports they won't use. Choice is good, there is no right and wrong, only different compromises.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #33
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"But I want to be able to work on a tablet, it would need to be plug and play with a multitude of peripheral devices (like laptops and desktops are), it would have to be capable of running camera control software, it would have to be capable of running amateur radio control software, and so forth. Obviously that means it would have to be capable of hooking up to cameras, radios, telescopes,"
Fair enough But you do realize that tablets are CONSUMPTION devices largely targeted to consumers .

For my work I need to be able to render with high quality 3D animation software and professional Compositing editing software like Adobe After Effects CS and, apple Shake.
gladly there already exists hardware for these actual production tasks.
they are called.... Desktops and powerful laptops.

For pure consumption /entertainment reading light video watching, gaming and portable internet a tablet is just fine for me.

That new Microsoft tablet will never match the performance of a powerful real windows or Mac or Linux workstation for real production work in any serious modern industry IMHO.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #34
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Looks like a very nice device. But the lack of HDMI and SD card slot prevents it from being the device that entices me to pass on my ICS-themed CM7-firmware Kindle Fire to a family member or friend.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Nor will it have Amazon integration. That's become important to me as I use my Fire primarily for reading, email and web browsing.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #36
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Smile Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Nor will it have Amazon integration. That's become important to me as I use my Fire primarily for reading, email and web browsing.
Of course it will have all of your Kindle books. It's an Android tablet that can run the Android Kindle app, which is frankly better than the reader app on the Kindle Fire.

The email will be GMail, which is obvious and the browser is Chrome.

So I'm basically saying that it is your ideal device.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #37
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
Of course it will have all of your Kindle books. It's an Android tablet that can run the Android Kindle app, which is frankly better than the reader app on the Kindle Fire.

The email will be GMail, which is obvious and the browser is Chrome.

So I'm basically saying that it is your ideal device.
I rather have a Kindle Fire. News about the KF2 should be out any day now.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #38
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
I rather have a Kindle Fire.
I thought you wanted to "be on the winning team"

Ducking and running for cover
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #39
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"It's an Android tablet that can run the Android Kindle app, which is frankly better than the reader app on the Kindle Fire.........So I'm basically saying that it is your ideal device"
Its a nice 7 inch tablet and all but Going from a kindle fire to this nexus would be a pointless "sidegrade" IMHO

I already Have Alkido pro mantano pro and cool reader thus I never even launch the native kindle reader app.I can read Epub or .mobi

I use GO launcher EX for My interface with wall changer for my background
99 percent of my apps are sideloaded android
apps and I dont even use the amazon ecosystem of content at all but still have full access to it if the need arises and I am not even "rooted".

Last edited by Anabran; 06-27-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #41
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post

Ducking and running for cover
I like my Kindle Fire, but I want a real tablet and Android doesn't do it for me. Android has too much bugs.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #42
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
I like my Kindle Fire, but I want a real tablet and Android doesn't do it for me. Android has too much bugs.
<spitting my coffee> You mean compared to Windows?!! Oh my, you did drink the Kool-Aid!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #43
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
The KF is getting Jelly Bean from the same developers who gave us ICS, just as soon as the source comes out, it's been said.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #44
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
The KF is getting Jelly Bean from the same developers who gave us ICS, just as soon as the source comes out, it's been said.
True. However, I'm not satisfied with any of the ICS ROMs for the KF that are currently available. They all have one issue or another (mostly kernel-related).

I think that the best chance of having a trouble-free ICS/JB ROM is if Amazon produces a KF that is ICS/JB-based.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #45
hn333
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
<spitting my coffee> You mean compared to Windows?!! Oh my, you did drink the Kool-Aid!
I can't remember the last time windows crashed, the kindle fire crashes ever week thanks to android.